Queens, NY

Posted June 26, 2014
I find some of these reviews very appalling. To say that the lower level has issues with it being a fire hazard and having few exits is wildly inaccurate. The fire department would never allow schools to teach children in an environment that was unsafe. I am an alumni of the school and my daughter recently began attending the school as well. During the open house, we were given a tour of the building in its entirety including the lower level so that people would be well aware of the space their children would be in if they continued through the higher grades. Also, the staff has always been very professional and welcoming to my family. Even when I had financial issues, the administration worked with me and still bent over backwards to help my child. The reputation of the school reaches far and wide to independent schools in NYC and many others. I am more than pleased with the academics and the culture of the school. CCGC offers an amazing and well-rounded education that I would not be able to receive for such a low tuition fee anywhere else. I would hope that readers can distinguish between actual reviews and disgruntled folks who hold a grudge after one bad experience.

Cambria Center For The Gifted Child 4

Posted January 16, 2014
Cambria School For the Gifted is an Excellent School. My daughter attended the school from Kindergarten through 6th Grade and has gotten a thorough and diverse education. It is interesting to note how many parents who have taken their children to other schools, only to return, much more appreciative of the quality of the education and environment. Even those who have had children get accepted to much more expensive private schools still keep their siblings in the school. It is an excellent value, and I am thankful that they established a middle school; Cambria School of Excellence, that appears to be following the Cambria tradition of excellence!

Posted October 16, 2013
UNPROFESSIONAL!!! There is no better word to describe the attitude of the staff, teachers and director of this school. Terrible experience!!! What kind of adults of tomorrow are they training with this kind of attitude and total absence of professionalism? Our children are greatly influenced by their teachers and other staff members of their school. ABSOLUTELY NO TO THIS KIND OF INFLUENCE ON MY CHILDREN!!! This school is simply GHETTO!!! I have seen teachers leaving the young children alone in the classroom to go buy breakfast. WOW!!! I have heard a teacher belittling a 3-y-o girl who asked her to help her wash her hands.

Posted July 26, 2013
For us, price was not an issue as our child's prior school was about $1,300.00 a month. We were attracted by all the good reports we heard about the Academics. However, we give zero for everything else. Administration is completely disorganized and unprofessional. They lost at least one of our child's personal items every week. There is definitely a double standard and a lot of biais and politics. The director would say one thing and the admission counselor and some of the teachers would do something else. If you ask to speak with the director, they will make sure it does not happen and make their own decision. The staff is very unprofessional. The reality is totally different from what you hear about the school. We are very disapppointed and taking our child out.

Posted November 27, 2011
I went to this school from maybe 2000 for Pre-K through 4 grade in 2005 I was at this school for majority of my life so far. I loved it there, It was so well-rounded culturally every month was a different theme of country etc. But one thing I did not like was the arts program. They had everything except for visual arts. The friendships I made there were awesome I am still friends with a lot of my classmates. The kids there are all different some are nice and some are not but that's depends of the child. I academics were very hard but great. The education has to be at least a grade level higher than most schools nation wide. I was taking notes in kindergarden! Definitely invest in this school... I see the tuition gone up, but that doesn't change the education I hope.

Posted October 23, 2011
My son has been a student since he started kindergarten in 2004. The school has expanded to middle school and I can say I LOVE IT! The staff is excellent and professional. The children are taught a rigorous curriculum in a nurturing and family atmosphere. There is a spirit of community and pride in ones self. I would definitely recommend this school to everyone.

Posted September 05, 2011
My daughter starts school tomorrow (Sept 6th) at Cambria Center for the Gifted...why am I posting a review now? Because she went to the summer program and WOW!!! She has improved tremendously and I give the school an A+! I grew up in Africa and my family values education and we had been looking for a school for our daughter for some time and found Cambria. We spoke to a number of parents who kids went or are going to the school, we also visited them twice while school was in session to see the layout, observe security concerns posted on this forum and others and to get real answers. Our decision??? Sign our daughter up right now!!! Money was not an issue for us..as we were paying more (1200 per month) before anyway! For the last person who posted about the school lacking culture...One of the very reason we are sending our daughter to this school is because of culture! They have a monthly theme (all of this was explained to us when we visited) and the kids are taught about American and African/Caribbean cultures! Are you kidding me??? Did you visit and see all the flags? Did you talk to some of the kids??? Anyway, we are excited...but let's see what happens after a year...

Posted June 07, 2011
This is a very poor school when it comes to culture. They give preference to who ever can pay their extremely high tuition rates. They find ways to nickle and dime you for fund raisers. The building is actually a fire hazard, there is no way children should be taught in those make shift rooms in the basement when your paying so much money in tuition. I know they personally cater to the families they know and the children whose parents can give money and time to the school. The academics is good but they do not give all children the same amount of attention.

Cambria Center For The Gifted Child 0

Posted November 20, 2009
Oh my gosh! This school is GREAT! My only complaint is that once your child leaves this school, you'll hold every school up to those standards. My daughter was at Cambria for PreK 3 and 4. Ms Beckles, Ms Rita and the assistants were great. Sure, the tuition is high and the fundraising was tedious. But public schools also fundraise, and you have no idea where the money goes! I had a problem with the poor level of security in the beginning, but they improved by our 2nd year. Unfortunately, we moved to FL when my daughter was 5. The schools down here are so sorry, I'm now homeschooling her. I would've worked 2 jobs if I had to, just to keep her at Cambria Center! Cambria Center definitely challenges your child to do their best!

Cambria Center For The Gifted Child 0

Posted September 24, 2009
Academically, the school is great. Rating A+ Financially, the school has all these ways to get your money ( mandatory fund-rising fee ) - $400, I almost fell out of my sit. Rating B- Safety, This is where I think the school should get a rating of a Z- yes a Z-, no nurse on staff, classes in the basement, building is old, poor air circulation, surveillance cameras are limited, lay-out is confusing and I pray everyday that there is no emergency situation that requires immediate evaluation of the school. There are several classrooms in the basement, or far away from exits. Rating F Administration, Disorganized - They do not check voice mail messages or answer the phone all of the time. They staff are respectful. Rating C

Cambria Center For The Gifted Child
233-10 Linden Boulevard, Queens, NY  11411
(718) 341-1991
Last modified Cambria Center For The Gifted Child is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
Cambria Center For The Gifted Child Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top