No rating

Sacred Heart Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 56 students

Living in Queens

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $345,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted May 13, 2014

I am a parent that has a child in the 6th grade. I was recommended to this school from a close source thinking that my child would receive a high quality education. I was completely wrong. This school has been a great disappointment due to the lack of teacher practice and lack luster curriculum. The middle school children have not been prepared to meet the demands necessary to master the New York State Standards. The textbooks are outdated and they must be shared among 6th and 7th graders. The principal Ms. Smith does not address concerns that I've had with teachers inability to teach. I disagree with the purpose of students copying an entire book and 6th graders putting words in ABC order. As for Spanish being offered, I don't find my child receiving a list of words from September and assigned to copy them 3 x's each ,weekly quality instruction in Spanish. Tuition is 4,000 dollars and I feel completely cheated and robbed because I can't get back the ten months of learning my child did not get. I believe that this school has served a grave disappointment to the community. Look elsewhere if you want your child to achieve.

Posted April 8, 2014

Sacred Heart Catholic Academy is one of the best places I could have ever allowed my daughter to attend. The secure and nurturing feeling you get when you walk through the doors is amazing. From PK-3 through 8th grade my child has had the best environmet for learning that I feel I could psobbile have given her.

Posted September 14, 2013

SHS is the best!!!! I have been going to this school ever since Pre-k and now I am in the 8th grade. The environment is so nurturing. We are one family in Christ and we all work together. We just changed into an Academy and we are having different activities this year. We have the best Science teacher ever. She is amazing. I definitely recommend that you bring your child to this school! It is GREAT!!

Posted August 28, 2013

Sacred Heart is a good school for the average child. It is not a great school for a child that is excelling because there is no challenge for him or her. The principal, Mrs Smith, is great but she needs help. She needs to delegate, or she needs the power to delegate. She does everything. The ratio of students to teacher 35:1 is detrimental to the child that wants to be excellent. It is also detrimental to a teacher who wants to give deserved attention to all children. All children will converge to the center left.

Posted August 18, 2013

My daughter dislikes sacred heart. This school is the worst school my daughter has ever attended. The peincipal gives stufents detention for the littlelest things. This school is terrible and poor.

Posted August 14, 2013

This will be my daughter's 5th year attending Sacred Heart. She has always been an honors student and she's still on. The school could use more diversity in students but I do understand that the location isn't really in a diverse neighborhood. Mrs. Smith could use some help in running the school. Every time I walk into the building, you can hear children talking, laughing and making noise. This school should be a little more orderly in all activities, including during and after. Students shouldn't put on shows after school and not let out until after 8pm. The children are exhausted from being inside of school as early as 7:15am. I hope there are changes made this year or else my child will have to attend a different Catholic Academy next year.

Posted August 12, 2013

This will be my kids 3rd year attending Sacred Heart. They are getting a great education and I know my kids are in good hands when I leave them for the day. Not only are the teachers and principal great, the other students are so kind to each other. So grateful to Ms. Smith and the rest of the staff at Sacred Heart. Looking forward to the 2013-2014 year!

Posted April 4, 2013

This school is a great school. It gives parents the peace of mind that you know that your child is safe and in caring hands. Mrs. Smith is exceptional; her tiredlessness is to be admired and encourage by all parents in this school. She gives a 110% year around to her students. She welcomes all families who want to be part of the school family regardless of their financial dificulties and religious beliefs. I have three children in the school since Pre-k. I cannot see them going anywhere else.

Posted October 8, 2012

this school is a good school and Mrs.Smith works very hard to supply students with all the information needed.She truly believes a lot in the students.She even pays extra trumpet saxaphone and recorder classes for the junior high students. She gave the girls skirts so they could wear when its hot outside.Let me tell you this is an excellent school.

Posted February 10, 2010

great school, great prniciple Mrs Smith is the best i have 2 kids there and i will not send them to any other school.

Posted December 29, 2008

i love this school! And Mrs.Smith is very understanding . I attended this school since i was in pre-k.Iam know in the six grade. I wouldn't ask for a better scholol envirment
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 14, 2008

I went to this school since the 6th grade and it is a very family oriented school all the teachers love their students and Mrs. Smith works very hard to keep it that way. Though this school is very good it good use a little bit more help from everyone.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 1, 2008

my son attends sacret heart he is in the second grade. he has lots of trouble reading and it looks like he missed the foundations. i have spoken to countless parents who express the same problem

Posted February 5, 2008

My daughter attended this school it is pretty good. I had a problem with the teacher student ratio . Ms Smith is very involved and she knows every child that is good . However, I think they needed more activities for the children .

Posted November 14, 2007

my children attend this school i wish they could get more help outside helpfor the students , but the principal is very involoved with the children and she runs the afterschool program and takes pride in all she does

Posted August 10, 2007

This school is a very good school. They have some flaws as with all schools, however they make up for this in having a very caring principal and many dedicated teachers. Discipline is taken very serious in this school and Mrs. Smith the principal knows ever students names. Religion is also very important and the day is never started without a prayer.

Two or more races 7% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Yvonne-Therese Russell-Smith
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • AACS
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Brooklyn

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

115-50 221st Street