Bad
Good

Posted April 08, 2015
This school is more focused on the state tests than on actually educating the individual child. The biggest problem is NOT parent involvement but the lack of fundamental things like spelling words, handwriting, phonics, etc. The school is still using a method of teaching, reading and writing, that doesn't work for the kids. The principal doesn't even show warmth and genuine concern for the children. I see her when I pick up my kids and she is COLD. It seems like she is in it more for the paycheck than for really caring about the kids. The staff seems to change all too often, which usually indicates a pretty bad administration. I'll be glad when my son is out of this school in June. I would not recommend this elementary school because your child will not come out of it fully prepared for junior high school.

Posted August 01, 2013
My daughter was at P.S. 239 from Pre-k to 5th grade and we love the school, my son is doing the same, there's lots of great teachers at 239 like: Ms Kutch, Ms Healey, Ms Isgro, Ms Hamtom, and more of them are very nice and responsible. I'm really proud of the great job they been doing with my kids.

Posted November 16, 2011
teacher have not patience they suppose help the kids very disappointed i spoke to the teacher and she told me that my daughter was doing good when i check my daughters report card was like the opposite the she said

Posted March 27, 2010
cont'd... Instead of parents taking initiative and actively participating in their child's academic development, they wonder what 'else' the school and the teachers can do. The curriculum is set by the NYCDOE and followed strictly by the teachers. This is opart of the problem, not the teachers or their abilities. Why do more than 80 percent of the students here start Kindergarten UNABLE TO READ OR COUNT???

Ps 239 1

Posted March 17, 2010
I do not like this school at all.teachers are focused it seems more on themselves than their students.P.T.A meetings are nothing more than a gathering for neighborhood gossip.New teaching methods should be considered fast.There's a reason this school is rated a 2 out of 10.There is no room in this state nor budget in this time and economy for low rating schools.It is the Principals' sole duty to ensure every child has the proper learning material so that all students can learn affectively on their grade levels.

Posted December 21, 2009
To the parent who voiced lack of parent involvement. Yes there are some who lack participation because they either have to work and cannot take out time to go to pointless pta meetings that look like a roundabout. Same issues come up and nothing is done. How about lack of motivation from some of the teachers. For example one class may get take home worksheets to practice and learn. Another, nothing but an assignment to write on his or her own. How about at meetings the principle lacking to show some involvement or by stopping by the class and observe the teacher and read there work agenda for that week and prior weeks. I feel the classes should all get similar assignments and they don't. In the finale of it all some teachers are there to teach and some are there to make money and go home.

Posted December 03, 2009
this school is great i love what it has done to my children i will never forget this school it is the school.the teachers are nice the school is very clean the students learn discipline and respect i really recommend this school

Posted March 31, 2009
One of the problems with the school is the lack of parent involvement. On a good night, a small batch of parents can be found at the monthly parent teacher meetings. Too many parents want everything to be handed to them and don't want to be active participants in their child's learning. It is the not the school that id inferior to those in Europe, it is the parenting that is superior there. Too many kids at this school lack discipline at home and it carries over to the classroom. Wake up my fellow parents!

Posted February 04, 2009
This is my daughter's first year in P.S. 239, Even though the school is new, The teachers and principal are trying to do their best. I believe there should be more activities but thats for the BofE to work out. My daughter loves her teachers and enjoys going to school.

Posted November 23, 2008
I am happy with the education my child is getting in this school. I believe the teachers are caring and are very helpful. I do wish there were more gym activities. my son has no gym at all in the 4th grade and my other son only goes to gym once a week. I feel we need that.

17-15 Weirfield Street, Queens, NY  11385
Last modified Ps 239 is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 239 Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top