Bad
Good

YECA is an average middle school. As far as choosing a HS goes, it would not be one of my top ten choices. I went to school at YECA a few years ago, but transferred out for HS because I was got accepted into a better school. The teachers are great, but I think that the students at YECA and the environment is what brings down the school's rating down. I know a lot of parents post their reviews, but they haven't actually been going to school at YECA, and thus do not know what really goes on at YECA. As a former YECA student, I don't hope to degrade the school, but instead help students figure out if this is the right school for them. First off, most students here have no respect for each other, and not even for teachers. I've been in a class before where there were students cursing out a teacher. Its also a horrible neighborhood & environment. Although students know this, they don't make it better for their peers and themselves. A few days ago, a student was caught with a gun at YECA. Academically, its an okay school. However, most other high schools offer better courses. I know they emphasize 60 college credits, which is what peaked my interest in YECA at first. But the courses at YECA are limited compared to what other schools offer. You can take a course in another school like law for example for free at most other high schools, but you can't at YECA. So these credits are going towards college courses that were not able to be taken at YECA, but you could have if you went somewhere else. In addition, you're not guaranteed 60 college credits. I know someone who only got ten, and he used them all on a photography class at York College, which is a class that many other high schools offer for students to take in high school. Plus, a lot of colleges want to see extracurriculars and community service, which is not something that YECA emphasizes. Its good to get good grades and all, but colleges also want students that are social and can really offer them something that adds to their name. THERE ARE DEFINITELY BETTER SCHOOLS IN QUEENS. IF YOU WANT A CAREER AND NOT JUST A JOB AFTER HIGH SCHOOL DON'T COME HERE. Your aren't going to graduate with a BA degree in junior year. Overall, my experience at YECA wasn't the greatest but still not the worst. I would recommend sending your child here for middle school, but not for high school. Hope this helps in anyway possible.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I can't say more about the faculty at YECA, my child been attending since 6 th grade now in 9th and the relationships she has built with the YECA family is phenomenal and believe me, to have that interaction on a daily basis you know you child is in excellent hands!

Amount of homework: Agree

the HW is the right speed given at the right level of learning, and believe me, if there was an issue with homework, the child and teacher will be all on board with the parent in a discussion to focus what may be lacking, if there's any lacking

From the one on one attention you receive in every interaction whether it's the guidance counselor, teachers, or the parent coordinator please know that you are getting direct upfront communication and an connection with your child teacher(s)..Also know that this school cares about your child, their learning environment and their individual care...if you have an issue no matter how big or small, please understand you issue will be taken seriously and your matter will be addressed, and all parties will be on board...no child/parent is ignored, andif you have to reach the principal for any reason, rest assured she will meet with you, however that will not be the case because again the faculty will meet your needs and address the need instantly...and the communication will be thru various means, at the convenience of the parent and student...the atmosphere is such a learning positive engaging atmosphere that as a parent you want to hang around the school! thanks YECA for good years and many more to come

York Early College Academy, prepares students to be able to be Successful in the High School Courses, and be College Ready by the time they graduate High School.

As a graduate I have to say that this school fails at almost every turn.. Building is cramped and decrepit. Once a tile from the ceiling almost fell on me. They fail to provide crucial information about college despite being an Early College school. At time the information given by a staff member would conflict with another's. No one bothered to tell us that the math placement test could only be taken once in CUNY, despite forcing me to take it. They once changed what college classes we'd be taking during the year, meaning people who thought they had another year to take the regents were screwed over. They gave us classes like Astronomy which did not help us at all. Despite saying that they are welcome to feedback from students at certain times, the administration will turn hostile if you try to talk to them about an issue you have with something. I feel like I wasted years of my life for no reason. The only good thing about this school is that the teachers that manage to summon the willpower to stay more than one year are pretty great. Roa, Shiv, Georgas, Grandhcamps, Gordon, ect. Ditch Angeles and you'd make things a lot better..

My daughter just started 6th Grade at YECA and is amazing to see the quality of education she is getting. I will recommend this school to anyone looking for a great school to send their children

Yeca is a wonderful school. We are truly blessed to have this school in our community. The principal, teachers and staff are caring and work extremely hard for the students and families. The fact that we have the opportunity to earn 60 college credits makes our learning environment a challenge. Yes, the work is hard but nothing is without hard work and sacrifice. I would recommend this school to any one who is serious and ready for a challenge. Thumbs up to YECA!!

YECA is a phenomenal school! I am an eight grader and I have been attending YECA since the 6th grade. The teachers are very dedicated and committed to their job of helping and working with students. Also, the kids are very easy to get along with... we are like one big family. Plus, you have the chance of graduating with 60 college credits, which is basically about two years of college for free. The only thing that's a con is the fact that we share a building with two other schools. Also, it sucks that we have summer academy, but its worth the college credits. All in all, I recommend this school for any child that is serious about his/her education and that wants a bright future.

i like this school very much the staff are very helpful to you and you get involved in the school very well i really like this school

Last modified York Early College Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.