Posted April 29, 2014
Exceptional. Teachers who actually care, who spend their time well beyond their UFT contract to make a difference for our children; Principals who are 100% invested in the successful realization of our school's mission -- to empower student to take action to maintain and create sustainable systems within their neighborhood, community, city, state, country, and world. High academic expectations. A place where everyone knows your name. The teach to the whole person. Can you tell how much I love this school. My daughter came from a high performing elementary school. At MELS, learning seems to be easier, and guess what? Her state scores have sky-rocketed! The program suits her learning style and our fingers are crossed that our younger child will get in when it's time. I wish there was more to the acceptance process for the high school entrance point. But other than that, this new school is thriving and learning.

Posted April 29, 2014
My daughter loves this school. It has exposed her to lots of different areas that I believe she would not find in other public schools like boat building, newspaper and the speech team.This school has kept her interested in learning. I think she would be bored in a traditional school.

Posted April 29, 2014
A wonderful and dedicated Faculty and co-principals, who work very hard to provide all the MELS students an enriching education. Students seem to always be happy and know that they can speak with any of the teachers for guidance. We are fortunate to have a wonderful school in Forest Hills. MELS is an exceptional school! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! THANK YOU!

Posted April 21, 2014
MELS is a very progressive school where the kids learn to think out of the box and get challenged in a way I have never seen before. I am proud to be a parent of a child who is thriving in this environment.

Posted August 29, 2013
MELS is a great school, it doesn't just teach our kids academic values but also teaches how our kids should respect others. It's like a big family.

Posted June 30, 2013
I am so grateful that this school is in our neighborhood. Going into it's 4th year and growing, the thing that amazes me most as a parent is the school's ability to teach our children a rigorous education, and yet it doesn't feel oppressive. Our elementary school was so tough, so unreasonably tough. It judged success based on how much homework was given. Here, it's based on what the children are actually learning. It's an environment that encourages a love of learning. My daughter is thriving. The principals are strict, but compassionate. And they are committed to building a challenging learning program. I honestly think it's a culture shock for some people that the learning is so easy because of the style -- not because it isn't demanding. If you judge a school by how much homework they get, or how burned out your children are by the end of the day, then this school isn't for you. If you judge the quality of a school by how much your child is actually learning and retaining, then MELS is tops! Thank you, thank you, MELS. You have changed my child's life!

Posted June 29, 2013
i am a soon to be a 7th grader at mels. i am so glad i joined this school. at first i was so nervous about starting a middle school and leaving behind my old friends. but the teachers and staff are very caring and try to help you in and out of school along with physically and mentally. here at mels we do not have textbooks but that has its advantages like we always get our information from the outside world so at mels we often explore the outside world which prepares us for life outside of school. but on the other hand exploring the outside world means going out of your comfort zone and going away from your parents like in may of the 6th grade we go to up-state new York for 4 days but we were in good hands and did amazing things. i loves this school i think everyone should have this wonderful experience but sadly its a very hard school to get into every year about 3 thousand people apply but only about 300 get in. on the bright side if you don't get in during the middle school mels is also a high school

Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School 2

Posted April 20, 2013
I can't stand this school. It was a bad idea to stay here. They really need to start offering honors classes because it is not fair how we are all taught at the same level. I need to be challenged and can't wait to take AP. Besides academics, which overall are okay-ish, MELS really isn't a high school. I am so bored here and am thinking about transferring for the Fall. This school is so conservative and predictable and any little thing bothers anyone in authority. MELS, get your stuff together.

Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School 2

Posted June 17, 2012
I attend this school, and am opting out of the 9th grade. The curriculum is not challenging, and certain topics are taught at such a surface level, that my parents felt I needed to have private tutoring to ensure that my academic skills remain on track. They've also admitted some relatively weak students for the 9th grade. I know one who has poor scores on the standardized tests and really bad attendance (he's been late over 25 times this year and absent a lot) - if this was the best applicant the school could admit, I don't feel the need to retun in the fall.

Posted May 28, 2012
I love MELS. Mels is the school! It was a brilliant idea to bring uniforms into place. For a school that just begun in 2011, you can see it! However, my friends were upset because of the process of enrollment. It should be upon grades, not a raffle.

Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School
91-30 Metropolitan Ave, Rego Park, NY  11374
Last modified Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School is a Public school that serves grades 6-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top