PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I would give this school even MORE STARS if I could! The teachers are amazing and the kids are kind and caring! They have so many sports programs to compete in and there's a TON of school spirit! We are a FAMILY, no matter if it is your 1st year or your 10th...everyone is welcome at SIS! I disagree with the previous reviewer, my kids have only flourished and we absolutely LOVE Ms. Livingston, our new principal. She is caring and decisive! She has integrity which is missing with most administrators these days. I thank God everyday that we found this school. It is a true gem! This is our 2nd year at SIS

I went to St. Isidore's for one year. This was my fourth grade year, and I suffered from an anxiety disorder at the time. My teacher would take my aside and belittle me for crying in class. As previous commenters stated, the relationships between students and teachers almost resembled a clique, with life-long students receiving preferential treatment. A very strict environment, I recall seeing 8th graders walk in single-file lines between classes. Speaking of which, classes were quite advanced for the age level to which they were taught. I came from a low-income school in the area, and the subjects that they taught made no sense at all to me. They didn't offer me any help, the teacher either didn't realize or outright refused to notice that I was struggling. The classes never seemed to have designated days, so one day we'd be studying Spanish, and that'd be the last we saw of it for weeks at a time. God HELP you if you aren't Catholic. As an Episcopalian, I would be completely and utterly lost during morning prayers, and I'd be saying prayers perceived as "wrong" by students and staff. I was not allowed to take communion on the one day a month we went to church, and on Ash Wednesday, I didn't receive a cross on my head, although everyone else in my grade did. This is not to say everyone in that school was terrible. The old principal, Sister Linda, was very compassionate. My mother would work late, so she'd take the time out of her day to watch me and entertain me until my mother arrived to pick me up. I remember my teacher comforting me after my uncle had passed. Overall, however, if you are looking for a local school to send your child to, forgo St. Isidore's. As a result of that school, I am still a year behind in my Math skills.

As an educator myself, I have found the curriculum and teaching approach to be head and shoulders above other schools in the area. Not being controlled by common core allows the staff to teach the students the critical thinking skills needed to succeed in high school and beyond. From changing classes hourly and alternating daily schedules to using web based applications for homework and projects, their middle school program stresses the importance of personal responsibility and accountability. In my opinion, these two skill sets are the most critical to a students success in high school. I would give my highest recommendation, and applaud St Isidores for truly preparing its students to become the next generation of spiritual, intellectual and honorable leaders.

Transferred in mid school year last year, kids were all so welcoming and friendly. Academically way above our other private school! Teachers are amazing! Great all around environment! Best kept secret in the private school community!!!

I have to agree with the student who said that if you are the new kid on the block and not coming in at Kindergarten you will have a very hard time. Just a bit of information for any parent of a special needs child. They don't do special needs as my special needs child teacher said "I don't do special needs" I told her now you do and showed her my child's IEP but from the very first day she wanted nothing to do with my child and made it well known. The principle is new to the school and is trying to do the best she can but does not have much knowledge about special needs children either. Even with the services provided by my school district they were not willing to give my child a chance. The teacher told me she did not belong in her class so I took her out. Now she won't have to deal with my child just my lawyer!!!

St isidore, sr linda and the teachers are excellent. 4th year there and it beats any school on Long Island.

I am a former student of St. Isidore's. I was there for two years and it was the most miserable two years of my life. My parents wanted to send me and my sister to private school because they thought the education would be better and the classrooms would be smaller. All of us were in for a rude awakening. My sister and I never fit in with the students because we were the new kids on the block while the rest of the students were classmates since Kindergarten. Students, parents, and staff were very cliquey. At that time there was no gymnasium or cafeteria, don't know about now. The principal ran the school like a warden, so did the teachers. It's one thing to be strict but kids have to be kids here and there, not in this school though. The teachers were dull and boring, never enhanced the dry subject matter. Looking back now it is very apparent they were in over their heads as teachers and did it only for the pay. I am currently a college graduate and an aspiring teacher and in no way would I reccomend this school to any parent/child, especially if you are not starting your child from Kindergarten.

This School, it's teachers and Sister Linda are a wonderful school. Parent participation is very high and students seem to be a year ahead of the public school in most subjects.

I have lived in Riverhead for my entire life. I went to both public and parochial schools. I can honestly say in my dealing with this school, that the principal of the school is wonderful. She truely invests herself in every child, and her ultimate goals all involve what is best for the children. I have seen her go over and above the call of duty on many occasions. Who ever wrote those unkind words about her has a hidden personal agena. The school is a family, and the teachers give extra help to these students dunring their lunch break and after school. It is a nurturing environment.

I have been a part of St.Isidores school for 6 years and could not be happier. To the parents that are disgusted, take your child out, sending your child to St. Isidores is an option and a decision that you make on your own with your family. If you arent happy leave, dont bash the school and its reputation! Yes wee need a gymnasium(which we are working on) and the kids eat in the class but everything else they get from attending this school far surpasses that! They are also working on science labs, remedial rooms(they do offer that now) and a music lab. None of that could be done without parental involvement, so instead of complaining about the parents in the office, get in the office and offer to help. Dont sit on your butt and when things dont happen complain. St.Isidores is an amazing school.

Last modified St Isidore School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8