Bad
Good

This school is in one word, magic! My son just graduated, and my daughter will be a second grader this August. "Friends" as students are called are encouraged to think freely and form their own conclusions while learning in a very unconventional way. The unconventional style of learning is what makes this school a great fit for students at all academic levels. Engaging and structured, GCCS is the perfect place for students who need structure and creative stimulation. The art room, dance studio and music room allow students to spend plenty of time exploring their artistic abilities, while connecting their expeditions (lessons) to art, music and physical movement. My children LOVE school. Every day is a whole new adventure. This school really does work hard to meet their students' individual needs. I had a child who was two full school years behind, who is not excelling and I give credit to his determination, and the patience and commitment of GCCS staff. My daughter was reading in Kindergarten! If you want to be part of a school and community that believes in the importance of the arts, learning outside of the classroom and academic excellence, GCCS is for you!

I am part of the GCCS class of 2013, and I am so thankful for this school. It has shaped me into a wonderful young adult through it's wonderful curriculum, and style of teaching. You will be so happy with this school, and it's a wonderful enviroment for one to grow and learn in.

GCCS continues to provide my child with a great education. They use the community as a learning environment and teach in a way that makes my child WANT to learn.

I am thankful for our wonderful school every single day. Dr. Wing and the entire staff believe in these children! Children here preserve their innate love of learning. It is miraculous to witness. Thank goodness for GCCS, Dr. Wing, and NY Regents. An amazing public school!

Daughter: 3rd Son: K Highlights: -teachers who lead by example -consistent use of "therapeutic" language ("I" messages and feeling statements) -respect for everyone earned and expected -a music/arts/drama program, highlighted every Wed in community circle, that will bring tears to your eyes with its excellence -my daughter was offered free after school help with her reading -my son's teachers have worked individually with him and us through his behavioral challenges -once every 12 week exhibition nights which highlight student work -meaningful parent volunteer opportunities -2 years with same teachers is a ++ -3 instructors/30 students per class -10+ field studies offered/year -meaningful, relevant, local history curriculum -I watched my daughter be a docent at the RMSC where she exhibited poise and confidence speaking to guests of the museum (one of the parent visitors commented to me, "How old is she? What school does she go to? I am extremely impressed, and I am a teacher too!") -I feel genuinely welcome each time I step foot in the door -I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!! Criticism: -there should be more schools like GCCS available in the city of Rochester!!

It's a great community. Teachers, parents, kids & staff are

The teachers integrate the arts with their core curriculum maximizing learning potential for every student.

I love Genesee Community Charter School because the hands-on learning techniques are complemented by school design principles that are consistently applied in every classroom and every grade. The dedication of the teachers and staff cannot be matched. The school has contributed greatly to the City of Rochester by direct student involvement in projects such as the rewatering of the canal aqueduct and the planning of ARTWALK 2.

The teachers make learning fun, and they teach the students to think for themselves.

Awesome school!!!! Warm family enviroment.

Last modified Genesee Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.