Bad
Good

Cherokee Street Elementary School 3

Posted January 20, 2014
This school is very good if you have a mainstream student with average intelligence but they do nothing for students on either end of that. My daughter had difficulty in the early years and they kept pushing me to get her a diagnosis of ADHD and put her in Special Ed (which I was not opposed to). I spent the money, got her tested where they said to and the MD said she was def. NOT adhd & Sp. Ed would ruin her. Seems they want to push anyone that might bring down their standardized scores into Sp. Ed. so those grades won't count. I heard this from other parents, too. My son was the opposite - extremely bright, could read long before kindergarten, and they had no idea how to handle him. His 2nd grade teacher (since retired) used to get angry when he finished his work too fast. I moved to another district when he was entering 3rd grade and daughter entering 6th. My daughter who had struggled at Cherokee became an honor student after her first year here and my son was tested and placed in a gifted program. Their school experience has been so much better in this district because the schools are more interested in providing an education than just getting scores on standardized exams.

Posted August 01, 2013
My son is now in the 3rd grade so I have 3 years of experience with the school and teachers. The teachers that I've encountered are very warm and caring towards the students. Coming from a city school, this school is much like a family. Almost everyone from the community have went to this school and now their children. I find this to say so much! This is a great school and do are the people who dedicate their lives to making it the best!

Posted May 18, 2013
I have 2 children in this school. My oldest is graduating this year. Overall, my experiences have been good. The curiculumn is challenging to the children. There is alot of emphasis on math which puts other subjects on the back burner.

Posted May 04, 2011
My two boys go to Cherokee and I find it to be an exceptional school. Both were able to really read by the end of Kindergarten (thank you Mrs. Cocoran!) and they both love going to school. Parent involvement is actively sought, the PTA pulls together numerous successful events throughout the year and I honestly could not ask for a better educational start for my children. Thank you!

Cherokee Street Elementary School 1

Posted February 21, 2011
I think that Cherokee dislikes when parents does not listen to them. When a teacher wants something they have to call ACS. I feel that they are having a problem in the budget maybe that's why they are calling ACS on some of the parents. Don't you think so?

Cherokee Street Elementary School 3

Posted January 22, 2010
The teachers are very good. Many will go out of their way to help. Some actually are eager to increase their skills in the classroom and frequently update their knowledge of learning disabilities to better serve all students in class with the best educational experience possible. The teachers on the support staff for educational interventions are very good as well. I have been happy with all of the teachers there. My children have liked their teachers and enjoyed some of the programs offered at this school. Unfortunately, personal experience with some other staff members was extremely unprofessional and counter productive to the educational success and well being of my child. My dealings with the school have done little to secure my faith in their ability to provide my children with a proper, safe, nurturing learning environment suited to their needs.

Posted January 21, 2010
My son's kindergarten teacher Ms. Salerno is amazing. My son loves to go to school due to the fun and exciting learning environment she provides. Thank you!!

Posted April 22, 2009
Kids learning is fun and they are learning really fast!

Posted July 29, 2008
The Cherokee Steet school is a great place. The Principal and staff all care about the students.

Posted April 10, 2008
I wasn't that happy with the school. I think the school is too focused on education and not enough on the child. Education is good but you also have to let a kid be a kid. It can not be all about grades.

130 Cherokee Street, Ronkonkoma, NY  11779
Last modified Cherokee Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.