Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

I met with the assistant principal for a tour of the school and to have my questions answered. I could clearly see what some of the parents are saying here with regards to lack of sensitivity. She was very rude and disrespectful. I had to check her by saying "I thought I would be asking the questions". She made no effort to understand my priorities, and when I finally got a few words in edge wise, she did not have the answers for me. I asked if I could meet with a teacher another day that could answer the specifics of the classroom, and it was a stern no. If this is how day one is with a grown up, I surely won't throw my little ones into this!

The school clearly treats students and parents by their socio economic situation. Class parents constantly organize events during average people working hours and frown upon the parents that do not participate, the principal has no sympathy or understanding for low income families. Teachers aren't the best example and mentors for students. My son attended K and partly first grade. His kindergarten teacher never conducted a useful or insightful parent teacher conference, she literally never said anything. Then the next year his first grade teacher was too strict and serious to be leading a class of 6 years old, during conferences she had nothing positive to say about my son, this was heart breaking to me so we decided to move to Valhalla where he attended Virginia road school, there he blossomed, his teacher was wonderful, very positive and supportive, ever since then my son has escalated academically and now he has been an honor student for the past 4 years and that's all thanks to the wonderful teacher at the Valhalla school district.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

One time I was misinformed on an early dismissal and I was upset that my child was left alone in the office, then the principal came out of her office and yelled at me, she was so low and rude that I never thought for a million years that she was the principal, the receptionist is no better, you can't ask her anything without getting an attitude and feeling like you're bothering her.

This school prides itself on high test scores, which are correlated more to the intelligence of the student body than to the teaching at the school. I am hopeful about the new principal, as this place needs some new blood. My kids didn't get into private schools, so we are looking to move to Greenwich, CT, where the public schools are far better. The school does not focus on conceptual learning; the only goal is to "teach to the test" so that standardized test scores will be high, and the funding won't be compromised. This type of education does a huge disservice to our children. This school is hyped up far more than it should be.

The family's are wonderful but my daughter is finding some problems with the children and the teachers are not even getting involved.

Amazing school and community! Our children attended a top private school in New York City before moving to Rye. Midland is a better school than that school plus the families are wonderful. Exactly the kind of parents and children who want your kids to be exposed to at a young age. Very family oriented, smart, friendly people dedicated to education. Wonderful! A rare find so close to NYC! No wonder everyone wants to live here!

I have had children in Midland School for 14 years. The school does a wonderful job nurturing its students and preparing them for further educational and life experiences. The staff is consistently excellent and there is very solid support from the community.

I am extremely happy with this school. I have two children who attend in different grades and I am pleased with the small class size and capable, dedicated teachers that they have. It compares favorably to the expensive private school my children were enrolled in when we lived in New York City.

It is a wonderful school, my son loves it and we are very happy with it!

Midland is a fabulous school. The Rye City Schools curriculum is challenging and comprehensive and there is a great deal of ongoing professional development available to and required of teachers. The music, art and P.E. programs are great and the students enjoy their specials. The grade level dramatic plays are always something to look forward to as they integrate the music program and the grade level curriculum. The level of parent involvement, dedication to the school and support of teachers is very high. There are wonderful enrichment programs and other additional 'extras' made possible by the support of the PTO. Both my children have had strong academic and social experiences.

Last modified Midland School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.