This is a safe place to share your honest opinions of a school, whether good or bad.
Rye High School5
Posted June 24, 2013
- a community member
Rye High School is based in a nice, welcoming community. The teachers are all very helpful and engaging. The other students at the school involve themselves in many activies. The sports that Rye High School runs are great for character building as well as keeping students busy and interested. As a graduate of Rye High School, I would reccomend this school to anyone who is looking for a good education for their children. It is challenging, yet the teachers are willing to work with students in order to allow them to succeed.
My daughter has been here from 6-8th and entering 9th grade. We moved here for the education and safety factor. Teachers are outstanding (7 of 10 are) and the HS teachers are even better - told personally by parents with older kids. The major problem is there is no diversity here and it's not representative of the world that our children will have to perform in. Other major problem is, if your child has not been playing sports since/like 4th grade competitively to include sports camps, they will very likely never get on any of the teams, hence, they make half as many friends and are a second class citizen socially and to some degree confidence-wise. If these two issues have little value, I recommend this school 5 or 5 since the kids can also walk safely to a well monitored, town and learn independence much earlier...If your child is average or better excellent suggestion. If not, suggest they go somewhere else, since it seems like they actively try to dissuade low performers from attending to artificially elevate published performance stats.
No high school is going to be perfect for every kid, but Rye High does a great job overall. It tends to work more like a prep school than a typical average public school. It's clearly a competitive environment, where the expectation is that most students are not only going on to college, but to a selective college. A lot of kids graduate with more than six AP classes, some are essentially in a full college program by senior year. Every year, a few dozen kids go off to the Ivy League and the like. Sports and clubs are a big deal, and funded exceptionally well for a public school. It's an affluent community, and parents tend to pick up the slack where the school budget won't cover something. All that said, I don't think Rye High is the most inventive, creative environment. It's a bit old school in its approach, focusing on doing core education very well. There is good support for kids who struggle academically, but they could feel out of the mainstream. If diversity is important to you, you will hate this school. It's about as white bread as you'll find anywhere.
This school is composed of incredible people, from faculty to students. Everyone cares about learning for the sake of learning, not just for an A on the next test. It is an environment to be envied by all. I love this school.
Rye High School has high standards for education. Rye High School has an undefeatable football team. We have awesome programs that help unfortunate people around the world. We have programs that strongly support american troops & homeless and hungry people around the world. We are internationally involved with different cultures around the world. Our school is awesome! VOTE!
By the time the kids have made it through RYe's substandard elementary schools, the high school has them tracked. For 10% of the kids who are blindly compliant, the high school will bend over backwards to keep the ratings high. The other 90% will have to realize as adults that they are dynamic, creative, valuable, intelligent people. Don't believe the hype.
This school puts an excessive amount of pressure on the students in an unhealthy manner. If a student is not trying to be accepted into a college that is Ivy League or otherwise difficult to get into they find themselves shoved to the side. Students also spend too much time learning information through notes, leaving little time for analyzing and developing new ideas upon the information presented. The theatre department is also poorly funded despite the clear need for new props and sets. The school also recently renovated the cafeteria. However it is unclear where the money raised was used as little change was made. Despite other lacking areas the schools english department is very successful at opening the minds of students and engaging them in discussion.