PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 18, 2016
Mrs. Gayanelo, Mrs. Bergasi, Mrs. Vierno, Mrs. O'Hanlon, Mrs. Dolan, Mrs. Colety, Mrs. Bryde and Mr. Henry...thank you for being a positive influence on my child for you have demonstrated that there are good teachers at IHM.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 20, 2015
I would like to say thank you to several people at the school who work very hard at making it a small community. Mrs Slater is busy all day long and helps as much as possible with little effort. She smiles, she's friendly and she's real. The school nurse has her hands full but is competent and diligent..and Mrs Gorham - thank you for making our transition to PreK so smooth- for playing your guitar, making the children smile and laugh, feel ultra-special on their birthday, and for being warm, caring and empathetic...you should be there full time for as great as you are.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted September 20, 2015
Homework was busy work. Workbook was sent home without directions and reading assignments, especially in religion had vocabulary on them that were NEVER taught. When questioned, the teacher never responded... since when are Kindergarteners expected to recognize and read 4 syllable words - even with the new Common Core??? Enough Said.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted September 20, 2015
My daughter's persistence and self esteem was shattered. I can only speak from my experience. I was told that it was my fault and the issues I was seeing - although I have 18 years of teaching under my belt- was nominated teacher of the year and won the My Favorite Teacher Award - my areas of expertise were pretty much shot down and nullified by IHM but not the Scarsdale School District, who evaluated her... Go figure.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted September 20, 2015
My child only entered Pre- K and K. The PreK teacher was fabulous as far as teaching and showing compassion and empathy, which let's face it... Children learn best by example. The Kindergarten teacher was another story entirely...as well as her assistant...therefore my opinion is skewed. They- as a team showed no mercy whatsoever, rather seemed to wallow in seeing young children lose crucial self esteem. This may sound like a rant- but had I known I was one of five or so other parents, I would have not merely left the school quietly. My actions would've gone much further...and speaking of compassion and empathy future parents...be very happy the prior principal is gone. She was part of the issue...a very large part of a long standing, well known problem that is allowed bc "it's Catholic School."

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted September 20, 2015
I feel the families - for the most part - are invested in the school and their child's overall experience. However, there is a sense of cliquiness, which goes completely against teaching children integrity and fairness. The very premise of the Catholic religion was based on humility and being humble, which is not what the overall vibe is here- from the prior administration down. In retrospect, there are some very well meaning faculty, staff members, and families who made this almost worth the money.

Posted May 14, 2015
This school is great!! It is warming to any family from any background and from all students that live in many areas of westchester!!! It does not cater to the wealthy!!! That does not exist!!! If your child needs academic help the teachers are wonderful to help that student out!! I have been there for many years and it is a good feeling when your child wakes up excited to go to school , which this is the case for both my kids!! The principal is a well respected ,kind, great sense of humor and a real great person in general !!!! One of the best principals I have seen in my opinion!!

Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School 1

Posted May 05, 2015
I find this school to cater to wealthy!! MONEY is their first PRIORITY Unless you are wealthy and are donating money or volunteering your time you are not a friend nor are you favored or liked. The principal is very fake and quite frankly only wants to know you if you are of her kind. This school doesn't appear to be very color friendly either (There s probably 2% of diversity). This is a very expensive school and their PRIORITY is MONEY and NOT EDUCATION. There are no programs that are available for students that do well, obviously b/c it caters to families that are wealthy. If you are ever late on your tuition you child is quickly suspended with absolutely no consideration in mind. There is some tutoring help that's offered afterschool but one on one availability is based on a preferential list....My guess is that list is based on the more money that's given to the school by parents. I am in the process of looking into other schools for my child......as this is not a comfortable setting for my child. The Principal of this school is looking for the PERFECT child.......in my opinion, no one is perfect. But if you think your child is PERFECT then this is the school for your child.

Posted April 02, 2015
It never ceases to amaze that people come onto this website to trash such a wonderful, loving and academically strong school. Numbers do not lie. If ever in doubt, please look at our stats and see where our children end up going to high schools and colleges. I hope perspective parents, that do come onto this website, are not swayed by the few parents who didn t get their way. To call the Kindergarten teacher less than stellar and emotionless is completely not true. My child is also in the Kindergarten class and within a few months she has become a strong reader, writer and quickly excelling in Math. There have been topics related to God that I didn t even know how to approach, when discussing it my child, and this particular teacher did and she did in in such a loving and non-fearful way.

Posted April 02, 2015
Continuation of my previous post..Any concern I have ever had, related to school, this teacher has quickly responded too. All these qualities make this particular teacher indispensable to me and so many other parents. What does amuse me is that this particular parent, despite their complaints, is still returning to the school next year. So please consider that. IHM is a fantastic school and I hope you will decide that for yourself and not read these silly and senseless comments!

201 Blvd, Scarsdale, NY  10583
Last modified Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8