Schenectady, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted October 20, 2014
When my husband and I decided that we needed a change from our public school s increasing class size, decreasing budgets, and almost complete reliance on then test, test, test model of education, we toured many private schools. And while many private schools offer small class size and families who value education, we found that Brown School offered something that no one else did: a learning environment that truly educates the whole child, and teaches them to be confident and independent thinkers. Brown accomplishes this with dedicated and caring teachers, who go above and beyond to provide a creative, project-based, hands-on curriculum where children thrive. Brown offers diversity, in both the student population and in educational opportunities. Brown School employs a reading and a math specialist, to offer additional support to children who might need it. They also have, on staff, a teacher certified in gifted education who, working in partnership with the classroom teacher and the student, develops personal and scholastic goals for each student a truly personalized and customized education based on a child s individual strengths and weaknesses.

Posted September 19, 2014
My kids love learning at Brown! The programs, class lessons, special classes, and extra curricular activities are amazing. In addition to art, music, P.E., computer, Spanish, and library classes, my Kindergartener will be taking a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) class twice a week. For my middle school children, I am constantly amazed at the depth and diversity of their curricula their favorites: art, technology, guitar, science, history of rock n roll (an elective) as well as the after-school activities available to them.

Posted July 30, 2014
My daughter has had a wonderful experience at Brown. She started in Pre-K and is about to enter third grade. The teachers challenge their students in a supportive and nurturing environment. There is an emphasis on character development which I really appreciate. The kids treat one another with kindness and respect. The focus is on matters of importance--academics, the environment, social responsibility--and not overly focused on pop culture. It has been a great fit for my daughter and well worth the money we pay.

Posted June 22, 2014
Our son has attended Brown School for the last three years. It has been an amazing experience for him and our entire family. Our family was quickly included into the Brown School Community. The school has provided a quality education, utilizing a small class size. His teachers have been kind, loving, and creative. They have also addressed his individual learning style, while going above and beyond what is expected. We are so thankful that we found Brown School for our son's education.

Posted April 17, 2014
Brown School allows our children to thrive in a nurturing, comfortable and challenging learning environment. The children explore a variety of topics from multiple perspectives. They hear, touch, discuss and engage friends in projects related to the topic they are discovering. They are taught to be leaders, good friends and encourage all to find their voice. Everyone gets a chance to perform on stage, present to a group of peers as well as parents and play sports. The remarkable glue that knits this community together is the sense of family that allows for resolution of conflicts as well as individual growth. We always walk away from school events with a huge smile knowing we are giving our children the best learning opportunity. Watching the children run into school every morning is a great way to start my day.

Posted April 08, 2014
Brown School offers our children what few other others in our region are able to do: the opportunity to grow into confident, independent and joyful learners. At Brown, my children have thrived and have developed remarkable critical thinking skills and creative expression. Brown School's commitment to educating the "whole child" is clear and their celebration of the Arts is impressive. One of the most amazing things about Brown is the opportunity for children to feel at ease participating in diverse activities without being "judged," or stereotyped. For example, this year my son quite happily joined the Science Bowl Team, starred in the School Musical, played in band, joined select strings and competed on the soccer and volleyball teams without being "pegged" as a "geek," or a "jock." I love that at Brown, kids have the chance to explore their interests freely and to express their enthusiasm without fear of being teased or bullied. Brown School is a fantastic place, and I highly recommend it!

Posted February 09, 2014
I was sold on the quality of environment and the educational experience from day one when my granddaughter entered pre-k .she is now in second grade. As a past educator, who recognizes the individuality of learning for children, I was impressed that this was a core awareness and focus of the faculty. Brown provides a ground of nurturing that sets the stage for an excellent learning and growing experience. They truly offer a home away from home and wonderful sense of community. Their inclusion of a mindfulness awareness program helps the children deal with distraction and frustration. Their Ignite Program, which allows students to set personal and scholastic goals for themselves, is a positive method for giving the child power in their own development and learning experience. If one values small classes, with an emphasis on critical thinking where children learn to appreciate and respect themselves and others in a community setting ..Brown School is the place to be.

Posted January 05, 2014
My sons say Brown School is awesome and we agree! Brown School has been a great school for us. The classes are small. The teachers know my kids well and care about them. We have great communication with the teachers. My boys are excited about what they are learning at school. I credit Brown School with making both my boys avid readers. My boys are into sports, but what is so great about Brown School is that both of my boys were in the school musical this fall. My kids get to do it all at Brown School. Stuff they would never get to do at a large school. We love the school. We highly recommend Brown School.

Posted October 29, 2013
Brown School offers an outstanding program that begins in nursery and continues through eight grade! Children learn best when they are happy, willing to stretch their thinking by asking questions, trying new things and getting involved in the educational process. The teachers, administrators, and staff are genuinely committed to each child's journey by providing an environment that celebrates and values learning. The Brown School philosophy truly looks at the "whole child." Children learn much more than purely academics at Brown. They develop love of learning and a genuine respect for other students and the entire Brown School community.

Posted September 19, 2013
When we moved to the area from the San Francisco Bay Area, finding the right school for my daughter was a top priority. As the daughter of an English teacher and a journalist, I valued academic excellence first and foremost in a school. As a social psychologist, I knew the social-emotional environment was also incredibly important. I wanted my daughter to love school, to develop her own personal creativity, interests and style and to learn real foundational academic skills. Brown school has offered us everything we wished for and more. The curriculum combines mindfulness education, the arts, extensive writing programs, and increasingly impressive science programs to create whole-child development of the highest order. My daughter has thrived. She loves the Brown community like family. Her friends are kind, comfortable with adults, and skilled beyond their years at resolving conflicts, integrating new class members, working in teams and individually. Her class is diverse and just the right size to allow for individual attention and good social opportunities. We wouldn t have her any other place.

Brown School