Schenectady, NY
Students enrolled: 1,033

Mohonasen Senior High School 5

Posted May 05, 2014
Class of 2005! I can't believe all the negative reviews for Mohonasen. Has it got that bad over the years? I was born and raised in Rotterdam and to this day still talk to my friends from Mohon. It was a very positive experience for me. Unfortunately, my parents moved us around by 8th grade. We somehow always ended up back here, maybe it's because this is where we have family. From my experience, no other school came close to this one. Plus, it had the least amount of bullying out of them all. When it came to the school work, it was hands on learning that was engaging. Unlike the boring text book studies other schools used. I remember using a soldering iron in middle school which has been helpful even now. That is one example out of many. My guess is that the funding is the problem and not the school itself. It's easy to blame one thing overlooking it's complexities. So if you don't like the education your child is receiving maybe work with them more instead of blaming it all on a entire school.

Posted January 07, 2014
Just as bad as the Schenectady School District. This school was awful when I went there and from others stories it's worse now.

Posted August 13, 2012
As so many other parents have stated, I have yet to see a child come from this school with a good education. I have 5 daughters, 3 of which have gone to this school. The school has failed them miserably. The constant excuse the school loves to cling to is it's the childrens's fault. They claim it is not up to them to teach the children, it is up to the children to learn from them. My youngest daughter, 2 weeks out of thyroid cancer surgery, was jumped in the hallway by 2 girls and my daughter got suspended for trying to protect herself. I'm sorry, I just can't find anything good to say.

Posted May 25, 2010
The news reports the school is laying off 2.7 teachers but they are buying more property to build a NEW bus barn and another sports field. When is Mohonasen going to invest the grants etc. they receive in getting the students ready for ivy league schools and better colleges. You are draining the community and for what. Roads, pools that are too small, sports fields , and bus barns when you already have one. Why not try to compete with Niskayuna and some of the other much more highly accredited schools. Mohonasen needs someone who sees the big picture of what the kids need and not just how to spend, spend spend.

Mohonasen Senior High School 5

Posted January 16, 2008

Posted June 08, 2007
Parent; Overall the Mohanesen is a great value. In recent years there is new administration at the High School and Middle Schools. They are outstanding in their ability to motivate and discipline the majority of the kids. Patrick McGrath has a keen ability to help students and know what is important in dealing with disciplinary issues. Although the school has an outstanding music and arts curriculum I would like to see more cohesion and motivation in the athletics. We currently have some individual stars but not very impressive coaching. (A coach is more than a person who helps direct kids in -4- periods of a game.) A varsity level coach is involved from Junior High through high school. They should be working with the lower level coaches and work with the teams strengths. A sound winning team generates school spirit and pride which turns into pride in academics.

Posted February 07, 2007
- a former student
I went to this school and decided when I became a parent to stay in the district and send my children there. It is a wonderful school system with lots of parental involvement. The last 2 -3 years have been much better as far as administration and responding to parental concerns. The education opportunities and great and the guidance department is always there to help.

Mohonasen Senior High School 3

Posted July 11, 2005

Posted May 26, 2005
- a former student

Mohonasen Senior High School 2

Posted March 16, 2005
quality of academics is fair. While administrators claim they are there primarily to educate their motives are a little tainted. When a child fails to succeed, of helping the child to improve, they set him further behind. For instance, my son was being bullied and instead of dealing with the situation and pointing the blame in the correct direction they suspended my son. They refuse to send him his work or help him catch up with his classes.

Mohonasen Senior High School
2072 Curry Road, Schenectady, NY  12303
Last modified Mohonasen Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mohonasen Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top