Posted November 12, 2013
My son is now 20 years old and went to New Lane, I had my reservations because of the open classrooms and not having a cafeteria. It may have bothered me but not my son. He excelled there! The Teachers were wonderful! Now I have a 10 year old daughter in 5th grade there This year has already started an exciting last year with all kinds of trips and activities planned. Once again no problems at all. It was my issue not my kids. They had an amazing experience there!

Posted August 27, 2013
This school was a huge distraction because of the lack of walls, you can hear every single teacher. It is so hard to concentrate in this school.When I was in 4th grade we were taking the New York Sate Testing Program and the teacher had to read a passage and we had to take notes,the problem was you could hear EVERY SINGLE TEACHER reading the exact same thing.Some are reading before your teacher and some are reading after.That was a huge distraction.Also there is NO CAFETERIA,so students eat and drink at there desks.This school was a huge disappointment and a big distraction to me for 5 years

Posted March 01, 2013
I have had 3 sons in this school,2 whom have ADHD.There are no speacial programs for my boys with adhd.Also,I have had numerous issues with the "teachers",the Therapists and the principal of this school.They don't seem to care about the children,all the seem to care about it the money they get.My youngest child has recently been pulled out of the school to be homeschooled,due to the lack of caring and assistance from the school and its staff.if you children go here..Good Luck to you,you will need it

Posted February 27, 2013
At first I was very worried when i heard there are no walls here. However I asked my child how the classes were. "Are you distracted by noise? Are there times you can't hear the teacher? Etc...." My child answered and said that it is not distracting and you can hear the teacher. Ever since she's been going there, she has had a high level of motivation and continues to improve in all of her subjects. She's on her second year there, and has had great teachers for both years. It seems people are afraid of new ideas or different things, however, the communication that I am receiving from my child is positive, and I have seen a lot of positive things coming out of her! Walls are age old, and if these teachers have found a way to live and make it without walls, that is ingenious and also teaches the kids how to improvise; and that is educational in itself! Great job New Lane! Thank you to all of the teachers in this school! You are all great! Keep doing what you are doing and ignore the negative comments on here from people who know nothing about nothing!

Posted February 24, 2011
New Lane Elem. School was a HUGE disappointment! It is an "open classroom" style setting. There are no walls or doors and it is a VERY NOISY atmosphere for the children! There is NO cafeteria and the kids EAT, DRINK and WORK at their desk! They do not have an opportunity to wash their hands before they eat b/c there is ONE bathroom for several "classes" of children. I ended up taking my child out of this awful school after 2 years and I have home schooled him ever since. I was not impressed with the teachers or the Principal..It is such a shame, considering the high taxes I pay for my house in this district! Open class rooms are a terrible idea!

Posted November 10, 2010
teachers are good for the students. Downfall, no cafeteria, children eat at desk, desks are not cleaned daily. No Lysol wipes allow due to chemicals, but children are expected to eat, drink and learn at desks.

Posted August 22, 2010
The teachers that my daughter has had in the last 4 years have been great & she has learned ALOT. The principal needs to relax a little bit & realize these children are exactly that....CHILDREN. One of the things that is ridiculous is not allowing 6 - 11 year olds to dress up for Halloween & not having any type of "holiday" parties or plays. Children only get to be kids once in their lifetime & I think they are being robbed with enjoying such events.

Posted April 13, 2010
My child does very very well in this school he loves it very much..The teachers are wonderful.

Posted December 21, 2009

Posted December 08, 2009
I would give the school a higher rating, but for me it's too soon. My daughter has begun the first grade, and so far she is performing exceptionally well. I was apprehensive at first, because their are no walls or cafeteria, like others have mentioned; however I believe that the true measure of a schools success is the performance of its students. So far I cannot be any more excited for my daughter, and look forward to her continued success. A word of caution to parents... Our children go to school to learn. It's important that parents stay actively involved in the lives of our children and not expect the school to be responsible for providing everything a child needs.

New Lane Memorial Elementary School
15 New Ln, Selden, NY  11784
Last modified New Lane Memorial Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
New Lane Memorial Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top