Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This school is one of the worst. The only reason my child is going here is because his home school is full. Lets start off with the fact that there are no walls dividing the classrooms. So you can hear everything going on. My child constantly comes home and says that teachers are screaming at people all the time. Real nice! My child has a focusing problem that is apparent and he gets very easily distracted. The lack of walls has only made matters worse. Next on the long list of why this school is terrible...NO CAFETERIA! That's right folks, kids eat at their desk! In all the years this school has been functioning they haven't had time to put one in. Next up...zero communication by the teachers. I have never received a letter home once from the current teacher. No progress reports, no issue notes, not anything. From what I gather this teacher is right around the corner from retiring and from the looks of it she has checked out! This class does the same stale homework every night. Nothing new, nothing exciting. One month left of school and nothing new being introduced. Why not give these kids a small sample of what is expected next year? The biggest learning regression happens on summer vacation, yet these people are extending that by another month by repeating the same thing over and over. The library will not let the kids check out books any longer even though there is a month of school remaining. God forbid the library doesn't get their ratty books back that are torn and tattered. Where is my tax money going?! Higher up salaries I suppose. I can't put all the blame on the teachers because I am sure the administrators are making their lives hell with test score numbers! This school is a disgrace and is rated one of the lowest in the Middle Country School District. Rather than using my tax money to keep it open, close it down! Put the money into the other schools and move on.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

As I have said before, the teachers want nothing to do with the students who need them the most. A student with ADHD didn't understand a math lesson- teacher's comment to parent -- I tried to explain but he didn't pay attention--- HE IS ADHD TEACHER------ DO YOU NOT GET THAT?????????

School wants nothing to do with providing services for children in need. No attention paid to students with ADHD. Administration says they don't deal with issues like that - they only focus on academics!!! Have never encountered such abysmal results on EVERY grade level and with FOUR children going thru the school ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My kids are in new lane I have to said "teachers " are the worse they have no respect for the little ones they prejudices against Hispanic and not impresse with the principal. Teachers nowadays are so unprofessional and rude the teaching is very poor and when u try to contact or set up appointment with principal or who ever in charge is always oh she is to busy so u would probably never resolve anything horrible .

My son is now 20 years old and went to New Lane, I had my reservations because of the open classrooms and not having a cafeteria. It may have bothered me but not my son. He excelled there! The Teachers were wonderful! Now I have a 10 year old daughter in 5th grade there This year has already started an exciting last year with all kinds of trips and activities planned. Once again no problems at all. It was my issue not my kids. They had an amazing experience there!

This school was a huge distraction because of the lack of walls, you can hear every single teacher. It is so hard to concentrate in this school.When I was in 4th grade we were taking the New York Sate Testing Program and the teacher had to read a passage and we had to take notes,the problem was you could hear EVERY SINGLE TEACHER reading the exact same thing.Some are reading before your teacher and some are reading after.That was a huge distraction.Also there is NO CAFETERIA,so students eat and drink at there desks.This school was a huge disappointment and a big distraction to me for 5 years

I have had 3 sons in this school,2 whom have ADHD.There are no speacial programs for my boys with adhd.Also,I have had numerous issues with the "teachers",the Therapists and the principal of this school.They don't seem to care about the children,all the seem to care about it the money they get.My youngest child has recently been pulled out of the school to be homeschooled,due to the lack of caring and assistance from the school and its staff.if you children go here..Good Luck to you,you will need it

At first I was very worried when i heard there are no walls here. However I asked my child how the classes were. "Are you distracted by noise? Are there times you can't hear the teacher? Etc...." My child answered and said that it is not distracting and you can hear the teacher. Ever since she's been going there, she has had a high level of motivation and continues to improve in all of her subjects. She's on her second year there, and has had great teachers for both years. It seems people are afraid of new ideas or different things, however, the communication that I am receiving from my child is positive, and I have seen a lot of positive things coming out of her! Walls are age old, and if these teachers have found a way to live and make it without walls, that is ingenious and also teaches the kids how to improvise; and that is educational in itself! Great job New Lane! Thank you to all of the teachers in this school! You are all great! Keep doing what you are doing and ignore the negative comments on here from people who know nothing about nothing!

New Lane Elem. School was a HUGE disappointment! It is an "open classroom" style setting. There are no walls or doors and it is a VERY NOISY atmosphere for the children! There is NO cafeteria and the kids EAT, DRINK and WORK at their desk! They do not have an opportunity to wash their hands before they eat b/c there is ONE bathroom for several "classes" of children. I ended up taking my child out of this awful school after 2 years and I have home schooled him ever since. I was not impressed with the teachers or the Principal..It is such a shame, considering the high taxes I pay for my house in this district! Open class rooms are a terrible idea!

teachers are good for the students. Downfall, no cafeteria, children eat at desk, desks are not cleaned daily. No Lysol wipes allow due to chemicals, but children are expected to eat, drink and learn at desks.

Last modified New Lane Memorial Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.