Setauket- East Setauket, NY

Setauket Elementary School 2

Posted January 18, 2014
Revolving administration, teachers who aren't given the authority to do what's best for the kids due to the conflict between the administration and the teaching staff, growing class sizes and some tenured mediocre teachers who really need to retire. All this and my taxes are still going up year after year. I'm looking into private schools.

Posted November 01, 2013
Setauket Elementary is NOT what it used to be. Happy for the parents that had such wonderful experiences at this school. The reputation it had over the years is what attracted us to move & be a part of it. But, over the past several years to say there have been a few changes, well, that's an understatement. Does any parent want to hear the word "intermittent"...as in principals, vice-principals. Leadership has been very inconsistent. The teachers do their best with the ridiculous changes that are continually being implemented. Let's us "Everyday Math" as one example. Starting a new math program at the 4th grade level??!! Seriously? Carrying a price tag of $200K to boot. The time spent on prepping our children for standardized tests that rate the school/teachers is outrageous...but, it's all about those ratings. And now, 2013, we're being introduced to "Common Core Education" -- equal curriculum for all, no matter what zip code you live in. Doesn't that hit anyone as "cookie-cutter" education? And why bother voting "yes" for future budget increases. Zip codes don't matter anymore, can we get a refund on being one of the most expensive school districts in NY? Pathetic

Posted October 29, 2013
Five of our six children have all gone to Setauket for their elementary school years. Overall, we have been extremely pleased with both the academics and the social life they've enjoyed there! Setauket's teachers are top quality, making learning both challenging and fun for our kids. They have all grown to love reading, writing, math, and science at Setauket, and now are in middle school through college - continuing to thrive! We are very grateful to Setauket for the way in which they have enriched our children's lives in so many ways over the past ten years! We just have one left there. He is a happy 4th grader who has already learned this year how to write a good-looking essay, enjoy a good long chapter book, and take on challenging math problems! Kudos to Setauket Elementary School! It's not perfect, but it comes pretty close. We are grateful!

Posted May 24, 2013
The whining about this school by some other parents is unjustified. I have had three children attend the school over a 15-year span and they have all been well educated. I have no interest in helicopter parenting. I expect the teacher to do their job and I don't interfere. The campus and school are well cared for and the teachers seem dedicated and competent. They generally focus on the basics of education rather than useless projects and my kids loved to go to school each day. There is not much to dislike. My only complaint is the level of mathematics teaching, which is a general problem in the country. It does not seem sufficiently advanced for our high tech world. One of my sons, who attended the school, is currently a math major in college and at the top of his class, so it is arguable how important this is. Nonetheless, we do send my youngest daughter to School Nova at Stony Brook University for math classes on Sunday mornings. This has been a revelation, with my 1st grade daughter already mastering the basics of algebra. I doubt it would be possible to teach the entire class at this level and whether it has a long term effect on my daughter's math skills remains to be seen.

Posted April 30, 2013
The recent posts from 2013 regarding Setauket Elementary are 100 percent accurate. We moved to this area several years ago in part because of the schools and we are very dissapointed. The teachers and administration are mediocre at best. The children are not challenged and the hiring process appears to be based on who you know versus ability and skill. The taxes in the Three Village area are ridiculous and they continue to climb regardless of the cap. We have considered moving out of the area and closer to work due to the lackluster performance of the schools. The homework is almost non-existent or very easy and the new math program was implemented very poorly. Most of the teachers do not understand how to teach it properly and they received minimal training. if you are considering a home in this area look further west. The school's reputation is not what is purported to be. Test scores are high because many parents in the area hire extra help for their children.

Posted April 12, 2013
If you have a child with special needs, be prepared to fight, fight, fight for their rights. It's OK if they have physical disabilities, but they are ill equipped to handle anything behavioral, even if it's a disability classified under IDEA they will still stick to the "code of conduct" and suspend your child at the drop of a hat for little to nothing. There are some good teachers here, but the administration is really weak. I'm considering pulling my daughter out of this school and into private school, yet I bought a home in Three Village because of its reputation. All I got was hassle and high taxes, and the teachers are getting a 5-6% pay increase this year!!!!

Posted April 06, 2013
I am amazed at what is allowed to continue to go on in regards to the education that is provided at this school . Many of the teachers are mediocre at best and have no understanding of individual student needs . When the administration is questioned about this they become defensive and can not provide an acceptable response , and many parents wont question the quality of education their children are getting in fear of the repercussions that will be taken out on their child . This charade must come to an end

Posted April 02, 2013
Unfortunately, I have to agree with what has been posted. This elementary school has been a grave dissapointment. Parents are treated like the plague, and the children are shown such disrespect. Relevant issues are brushed under the carpet and the sense of entitlement and detachment exhibited by the teachers and administration is appauling. If my taxes werent so high, my children would be in private school. I will be so happy to get them out of there!! How does a district such as three village allow this to go on??!!

Setauket Elementary School 2

Posted March 29, 2013
Setauket Elementary is the biggest disappointment. Very few teachers and administrators are inspiring and talented, most students are not challenged, and parents are kept on the outside with very little information about student progress. I cannot believe that we moved here for an exceptional education for my children and so far it has been a very poor educational experience for them.

Posted March 17, 2010

Setauket Elementary School
134 Main Street, Setauket- East Setauket, NY  11733
Last modified Setauket Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Setauket Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top