No rating

The Laurel Hill School

Private | PK-8 | 159 students

Living in Setauket-...

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $481,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,780.

Posted July 28, 2014

My sons attend The Laurel Hill School. they entered the school mid-year as we were deeply concerned about thier progress inthe public school system. It was a life and life learning change for both of them. the love, care and challenges they have been confronted with have inspired them to be commited lifelong learners. We could not be more impressed.

Posted July 27, 2014

All parents wish the best for their children. This desire was greatest for our children in the choice of school they were to attend. Following were words of acknowledgment of The Laurel Hill School in our sons valedictory address: We walked through these doors approximately 4 years ago as freshmen, clueless to what the future had in store Although unaware, we as students had been primed for this day ever since elementary school and thankfully we would overcome many obstacles. My very first teacher, Ms. Diamant and my headmasters, Mr. & Mrs. Robert Stark at The Laurel Hill School flung wide open the windows of discovery and the door to lifelong learning. Through them along with my parents, the mindset that mediocrity wasn t an option was instilled and has helped me to develop into the person I am today and more importantly, the person I will become in the future. From kindergarten to senior year, I have met and formed connections with some amazing individuals. I would like to thank Mr. & Mrs. Stark, Laurel Hill and the teachers here for encouraging me to put forth complete effort, 100% of the time. We wanted and received the best and more from The Laurel Hill School.

Posted August 1, 2013

My child has just finished his second year at Laurel Hill (after leaving the first time to try our public school.) He will be entering into 6th grade in the fall. I can not say enough about the incredible experience we have had at Laurel Hill. I enrolled my child at Laurel Hill in Pre-school. He attended until 3rd grade. Our experience was just wonderful. He was in a classroom with 16 students and TWO teachers! Needless to say, he received an enormous amount of one-on-one attention. Because of this individualized instruction, he was able to move a grade level ahead in English and Math. We live close to Laurel Hill and we kept hearing how great the school district was. So, in 3rd grade we decided to try our public school. It was a very disappointing experience. My son was no longer given the opportunities to exceed beyond what the "average" student was doing. The curriculum was not at all challenging. He felt he was sitting with nothing to do while the teacher was occupied with other children who were struggling. When we mentioned this to the teacher she suggested bringing a book from home to entertain himself. After 2 years of this, we knew we had to return to Laurel Hill.

Posted March 4, 2013

Every school should be like Laurel Hill School. The teachers are phenomenal, the children learn academics, current events and how to be good citizens. The children are all academic achievers because they are all trying to do as good as each other, the end result is they all win. Excellence is rewarded, as well as hard work. I highly recommend this school.

Posted February 9, 2013

As a teacher at the Laurel Hill School, I can say that we have an amazing staff of dedicated professionals that go out of their way each and every day to ensure the success of EVERY child. We are always on the forefront of educational advancement and are well-supported by the Headmaster and Director of Educational Development. Our school is unique in that we offer programs for infants through 8th grade. Our Middle School is far superior to most other Secondary Schools. Our graduates have outstanding student resumes that they acquire as a result of actual academic acheivement, leadership, mentorship and character. Many of our graduates have received full scholarships to prestigious college preparatory schools and are highly sought after because they are well-rounded and well-prepared. Our elementary school provides a wonderful foundation for learning and most of our students would be considered advanced by public school standards. Our pre-school and infant programs are fun and engaging and the children are really learning. I know I'm biased, but check us out and see for yourself.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 21, 2012

In some areas it's very good, but all too often it misses the big picture. The good thing is that they individualize for children's academic needs. The bad: way too many nonsense projects and things that end up being a burden for the parents. All that could be overlooked if it didn't take away from important homework and critical elements that need to be learned to do well on state tests and in general. Crucial basic foundations are not stressed enough. They are too concerned with other things that are not that important or are better suited for after school activities. To sum it up, this very expensive school has way too much frosting and not enough cake for my taste.

Posted December 1, 2011

Great pre school after that run. Very competitive, all for show. Most parents do their kids work (even those who do not want to feel they have no choice). If you let your child do their own work they will be the only student not on the Honor Roll. The yearbook is full of pictures of kids who have mothers on the yearbook committee. The science fair is full of projects the parents have done. The book club gives Diamond awards to kids who say they have read 200 books. How many primary school students do you really think are reading 200 books (apparently everyone at Laurel Hill). A great deal of favoritism is shown. Save your money.

Posted June 6, 2011

Excellent school for all levels of academic improvement and acceleration, an ideal school for disciplining your youngsters. Small classes, individual attention, and very low teacher turnover rate.

Posted May 24, 2011

It is both delightful and heartwarming to witness your child enthusiastically running into school, eager to extend warm greetings to their friends, smiling teachers and attentive staff, as they enter the building. This is a normal, everyday occurrence at The Laurel Hill School. The teachers and staff are compassionate, approachable, dedicated, nurturing, and very professional. The small group instructional methods utilized by the inspirational teachers at The Laurel Hill School is an effective way to introduce new topics of a stimulating and challenging curriculum, reinforce former lessons, and monitor student progress. This type of instructional approach is instrumental to promote learning achievement and success. The building and grounds at The Laurel Hill School are beautiful, inviting, well maintained, and protected, providing your child with a safe and secure environment for them to discover, learn, explore, and play both inside and out of the classroom. If you are seeking a wise investment for your child s educational success and future, The Laurel Hill School is a wonderful choice.

Posted May 10, 2011

I had my children in the preschool, lower, and middle school at LH. My ratings vary greatly for each. The preschool is very good, the lower school is excellent if you can stand doing many ridiculous time consuming projects, and you have the freedom to be at the school often for their events. I wouldn't recommend it for busy parents, or those who can't leave their jobs often. You and your child will be made to feel guilty for not coming. The middle school is very disappointing on many levels. It's very expensive but they put as little money as possible into it. Their bread and butter is the camp and the lower school and that's where most of the attention goes. Stay until 5th grade. Most people leave after that and class size is just way too small. My final complaint is about their uniform requirements. It changes every few years, and they have 3 different uniforms for the lower school and 4 for the middle school. It is so expensive and unnecessary. Children are often confused about what they are supposed to wear and then punished if it's wrong. Why can't they just have 1 or 2 uniforms like everyone else?! It makes no sense. The middle school needs major overhaul if they continue.

Posted February 5, 2011

my child went to this school and learned nothing it is overated and he was behind the state avarage this is why they do not post scoors they would not even come close to the state avarage on testing send your children to public they will get a much better education

Posted October 8, 2009

i attend the laurel hill school and has provided me with finest of education though i wish it was larger in size
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 9, 2009

Good thing about the school is that they advance kids beyond their class level according to their abilities in math and reading. But on the other hand social environment is far from the best. Socially adapt kids are often punished fro not accommodating friendship needs of socially inept. On subjects that the kids might need extra help in they usually just get pushed to the point of total frustration. Some teachers are great and caring and some are just plain mean with no consideration for children. Have to be very careful about whom your child gets. But if you know the routine, you can get through it with moderate success.

Posted December 22, 2008

Really happy with the school as a whole! Good teachers, great instruction and fantastic Director of Preschool!

Posted September 9, 2008

Laurel Hill has a wonderful Pre-school program that is run by a very competant and caring staff, as well as the pre-school director who goes far and beyond all of her required duties to welcome, care for and ensure the maximum safety of her charges. In my oppinion, Mrs. Klein-Karchmar and her wonderful staff of pre-school teacher's and teacher's assistant's are the very best. I am so fortunate to say that my child attended The Laurel Hill School pre-school program from nursery with Mrs. O'Hanlon, pre-k with Mrs. Bowman and kindergarten with Mrs. Wasner. When it's time to let go of your little one's hand, be assured that not only are their minds being filled with the wonderful knowledge the pre-scool has to offer, but their hearts with the love and care that the mentioned staff and Director give and gave to my daughter's heart as well. The Beckett's

Posted March 10, 2008

Laurel Hill School has far surpassed my wildest expectations. When searching for a school, I was looking for one that would give back to the community. I wanted the children to understand that there is always someone who can benefit from our help - regardless of our own situation. Offering the two weeks of summer camp to our school fundraiser for the needy children in our community was only part of the kindness and generosity you continue to bestow. This is truly going to make a difference in someone s life. They will remember this experience for the rest of their lives. If only half the people on earth were as giving as you, what a world it would be. Thankfully, you are setting the right example for our children and this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Posted February 10, 2007

The pre-school and kindergarten is great but after that be careful. There is no PTA and there is a hugh turnover rate of teachers. The children are often confused by what is expected of them resulting in lots of visits to the nurse. There is also a high attrition rate of studets. Think it over before your decide.

Posted June 17, 2006

Our daughter had a wonderful experience at this school. She really learned more than we expected at the PreK level and she now is performing at least 1 year above where she should be. Wonderful staff and environment. I would have continued her here for K-8 except for the extra cost over public school.

Posted May 4, 2006

This is a great school. I have friends who have kids in private schools in the city who pay three times the cost of this school, and Laurel Hill is far superior.

Posted May 3, 2006

The classes are ok, till about 2 nd grade. But after that the school goes downhill from there on. They higher new teachers each year, that are totally inedaquet.

Asian 8% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab