Smithtown, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted September 03, 2014
The comment below about teachers being not certified, large class sizes and not graduating are downright slander. Speaking as a proud middle school teacher for many years, I can attest to the academic and most importantly moral value of this school. Speaking as someone who taught in public school and now teaches in private school, the difference in education is astronomical. We don't teach out of an outdated curriculum binder or to the test. We spend countless hours developing an engaging and creative curriculum that takes learning out in the real world. We incorporate life skills into our daily lessons. We custom tailor the needs of each child because of the small class sizes and we teach students how to be active, positive members of society. We have countless over-the-top social events that you would NEVER see in public school. I spoke with a parent today who saw our alumni at a private high school and recognized them by way they carried themselves- mature and respectful and I am proud to say every one of our graduates leaves here in that fashion. We are more than just a school here, we are like a family and for that I give this amazing school five stars without question.

Posted June 11, 2014
In my experience as an educator and school parent, the door is always open for communication with parents, and school leaders are easily accessible. I know that graduates from last years class are attending private high schools such as Knox, York Prep, Port ledge and St. Anthony s to name a few. Each one is a success story, filled with academic achievement and social acclimation. This year s graduates are headed in a similar direction. The after school program is broad based with something for everyone and extra help is always available. Additionally, the school is accredited by the Middle States Association which is a much tougher certification to obtain than the Independent School certification that most private schools obtain. All of the teachers are NYS Certified, hold Masters Degrees and are experienced. Academic subjects are not doubled up and instruction is always differentiated. The key Administrators are Dr. Don Sternberg, Principal and Myrna Gartenstein, Curriculum Director are both nationally recognized educators with unparalleled experience and credentials.

Ivy League School 1

Posted April 06, 2014
Parent teacher communication is extremely poor. School is for transient students, and public school is still a far better option. School personal put on a great show when it comes to selling their curriculum but the bottom line is students are not taught how to compete academically in the real world and staff are quick to blame students (i.e. classifying students with psych issues, beware, take heed!) when they fall behind. In 8 years I only know of 1 child who graduated all other students left before graduating. After school activities, sports, extra help, nonexistent! Talk a good game to get your tuition but the reality of your child graduating from this school is highly unlikely. Dont be fooled by the location and classroom buildings its a front for a very poor educational experience that you will regret I am a parent giving this review and going through the process of getting my child caught up academically and socially. Dont be gullible about your childs education and the idea of private school, Ivy League fails all aspects of education but they are very good used car salesmen and they know how the system works to keep any educational ratings up. Definitely Not For My Child!

Posted August 02, 2013
My son is about to enter his 2nd year at Ivy League School. Going into PreK. Well educated teachers, fabulous hands-on approach to teaching, and beautiful grounds. He has had such a positive and nurturing learning experience. We look forward to Ivy League continuing to go above and beyond any expectations.

Posted July 08, 2013
What a great experience my son is having at Ivy Leagues elementary school! We came there after kindergarten as we felt he was so bright and not being challenged in his former school. The classes are small and so he gets so much attention. Its a lot of work,but he"s up for it.The school also offers him so much out side of his regular classroom. We plan of starting our second child in preschool there next year.Everyone we have spoken to said the experience was wonderful.It doesn't matter which class you go into.The experiences for everyone we spoke to were so positive. We highly recommend this school.

Posted May 30, 2012
Originally, Ivy League was our second choice. Now, we wouldn't bring our kids anywhere else. Ivy League's caring, competent teachers and administrators acknowledge our son's strengths, and are fearless of his IEP. The curriculum is more challenging and thought-provoking than that of their former country day school, getting the kids to think harder. At first, I wasn't happy with the homework load, but after a year, I see it's made my kids stronger. We also like that fact that instrumental music and team sports are encouraged but not mandated. My complaints are very minor: I'd like to see the kids change clothes for phys. ed., and for many reasons, I would also like to see the school establish uniform dress policy.

Posted September 28, 2011
I can't say enough good things about Ivy League. I have one child in pre-k, and one child in middle school, and both are excelling. My oldest received no support from his former public school - he was falling through the cracks and his grades were in a downward spiral. I brought him to Ivy League, and in a year he has shown such improvement and gains in confidence, that I am just thrilled. I've been a part of many schools in the past, but this is the first time that I really feel like we have found a caring community at Ivy League. Both the parents and the school itself - it's just a wonderful, wonderful environment!

Posted September 18, 2011
My kids actually look forward to getting up before sunrise to go to this school. They're having a ton of fun, but they're also being challenged by caring, competent teachers. Ivy parents are involved, unpretentious and very friendly. In my mind, the only negative is there is no school uniform.

Ivy League School 3

Posted September 01, 2011
The truth about this school is that it is a private school that is run by very nice people who know more about running a camp than anything else. There are 2 people in the administrative wing. One is not very involved and the other must deal with all the responsibilities of 10 + grade levels and hundreds of very demanding parents. Some of the teachers in this school are NOT New York state certified teachers and many of them join the staff with absolutely no experience. In this economic climate I suspect that this trend will continue. The preschool pragram is full of very talented and experienced teachers b/c the prinipal is a former prek teacher and her screening process for this part of the school is actually very good. This school operates with little money which means your child wil actually experience bigger classroom sizes when they are doubled up with other grade levels for specials and academic subjects. I would not however send my child there for elem or middle school since the resources, teacher experience, and lack of certification is a serious concern.

Posted March 18, 2011
Ivy League has been perfect for my children. They love getting up every morning to go to school! They are learning so much and building a great foundation. The teachers are fantastic and the families are all warm and welcoming. The curriculum is amazing ... french, spanish, mandarin, gymnastics .... plus since they have an outstanding camp, they kids get to use the playgrounds and fields.

Ivy League School