No rating

Smithtown Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 600 students

We are best known for spiritual focus in all areas.

Living in Smithtown

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $415,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,780.

Posted April 30, 2014

Smithtown Christian School is a wonderful, Christ-centered environment. I am blessed to have the opportunity to work there. We have the joy of seeing God work in our lives and the lives of our students on a daily basis and openly proclaim His power and might. This is an excellent school that helps students to grow spiritually as well as academically.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2014

If you're looking for a school that is all about smiles and good image, then this is for you. Education is average, but if you usual struggle in academics they will probably send you back or talk to you about it and see what they can do, or make you do. Christian values seemed to be esteemed here but not usually practiced if you are a outsider. Firsthand I was accepted into the social groups or "cliques". Most are accepting but some others are not open to many people. The teachers do seem to show more favoritism to some more than others, but seem qualified at best. Basically your more than average Christian school, not for everyone but the building is pretty nice and seems to be improving. I have attended this school for 7 years and can honestly say it has been mostly ups & downs, not the best but it makes you stronger in character. If you want a school that will test you to your limits and see what you can do, but still keep in fact they honor God in the classrooms, then this is the school for you.

Posted April 29, 2014

I enrolled my two in SCS two years ago and it has been the best decision I ever made except not doing it earlier. They are receiving a good education. When needed help is there. They have a great special ed dept. for those with children who Need a little more help. They work with us as parents to give what each individual child needs. I plan to enroll my third child when that time comes too.

Posted April 29, 2014

My 3 children have been attending SCS for three years now. We, as well as our kids are extrememly happy with their total school experience. The teachers are loving, kind and committed to our childrens overall success, not only academically, but socially and spiritually as well. We are pleased to be a part of the Smithtown Christian School community and look forward to our children completing school through 12th grade.

Posted April 10, 2014

My two children have been in the school for two years. They are very, very happy. They are making great friends. The education is good and getting better. My children will graduate from SCS as well educated, well rounded, analytical thinkers. The administration is accessible and parents have a voice in all aspects of their children's education. In today's world having a voice in your child's education is paramount.

Posted April 9, 2014

I have had the great blessing of having all 5 of my children attend Smithtown Christian School. The decision to enroll our kids at SCS has been a great one. The teachers are loving and kind and always willing to go the extra mile. The administration addresses issues, both academic and social, in a professional yet caring way. I am so glad my children get to learn in an environment where Godly value's are not just taught but lived out!

Posted April 8, 2014

All three of my children are SCS graduates. They found college easier than anticipated because of the excellent education they recieved. One child, nearly 40 has recieved their jurus doctorate and has enrolled his child in SCS. The youngest is an RN. The eldest has a a career in graphic arts. Not only are the acedemics outstanding the music,, drama, art and athletics programs are excellent. The most important thing to both my husband and I was sending our children to a school that reinforces the spiritual values we practice at home.I believe this has helped mold them into adults with integrity & compassion.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 8, 2014

I have 3 kids in SCS and we love it, most importantly my kids love it. They have been bless with a great education from some great teachers. My kids are getting a wonderful education, meeting great friends and most importantly; they are in an environment that is not filled with the troubles that most schools encounter like drugs, gangs, violence, etc... When my kids have struggled at times during certain classes the teachers have gone the extra mile to spend time with them, during lunch or after school, to make sure they understand the school work and get a better understanding of the material. I also appreciate the strong Christian values my kids are taught. Not only are they given a top notch education, they are also guided with a strong moral compass that will help them grow and give them direction as they go through their young lives into adulthood. From the school superintendent to the teachers to the administrative staff, everyone contributes to make Smithtown Christian School a unbelievable experience for both the students and parents. I would 100% recommend SCS to anyone.

Posted March 25, 2014

It's our Home away from Home. All 3 of our children attend SCS. The faculty/staff are like family to us. Teachers have been encouraging and positive from the moment our son entered 4th grade from public school. The class sizes are small. Communication between parent and teacher has been great. Expectations are established in the beginning so there are no surprises throughout the year. Phone calls/Emails are returned/answered swiftly. Assignments and Grades are posted quickly. Parents are kept well informed. Parent involvement is welcomed and encouraged. There are enrichment classes to challenge your child and the ARC which offers support for children who need a little extra help. Teachers truly care about each child s individual success, not just grades. The music and art dept. are phenomenal. Just come to a concert, you will surely be amazed by what you see and hear. It brings us such joy to know that our children are surrounded by these faith driven teachers/staff who care so much not only about them but also about supporting us as parents. This school is committed to shaping our children into christian leaders. We are so happy we made the decision to send our children here.

Posted March 11, 2014

In 2001 my husband and I made a decision to send our 1st child to Smithtown Christian School for Kindergarten. This has proven to be the best decision we ever made. We now have multiple children in the school and our oldest will graduate this year. We have seen the school go through a number of transitions over the years, and it is better than it has ever been. No, it is not perfect, but no place is perfect. Overall our experience has been extremely positive. The school ives up to its goal to train children with a Heart for God, a Mind for Truth, and a Passion to Change the World. The school partners with parents to provide a Christian focus to their education. The teachers are great, the academics are excellent, and any problems are dealt with swiftly and justly. Anyone looking for a school that approaches every aspect of education from a Christian worldview should look no further than SCS.

Posted January 6, 2014

If I could give this school 0 stars I would without hesitation. My daughter was bullied at this school terribly. My husband and I had no idea how bad it had gotten until I stumbled upon notes she had written in a notebook where she would write about dreaming of hanging herself because the bullying had gotten so bad. When addressed with the Elementary school principal, Jill (?), she brushed it off because she "knew those girls since preschool." It was such an awful time for our family--and still is terribly upsetting. Our guard was down, sending her to a Christian school to be with other Christians, we believed this was the best choice for her-it was the single worst mistake we ever made in our lives. No one was ever held accountable for the torment they caused. Just because you pray before you start your day and have chapel, doesn't make you a Christian school. This school deserves to close, forever. Shame on them and the pain they allow children to suffer. They will reap what they sow.

Posted September 1, 2013

This school offers a Christian world view as a foundation for academics and boasts an honor system where students are supposedly held accountable for their actions. However, upon closer inspection, the favoritism shown to some students is glaring. My son desired to volunteer for a peer mentoring program. He did not bother applying, because he figured all the positions would be filled by faculty favorites. In this assumption, he was correct.

Posted July 30, 2013

Not worth the money.Forget waiting for a return phone call from someone.We were not pleased with this school at all.

Posted May 9, 2012

My husband and I have been very pleased with Smithtown Christian School. Our daughter had transferred from and public school per her initial request and it's been a world of difference. We are so happy there. SCS provides so many opportunities for a well rounded education. In the arts, there are classes in drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, and ceramics. Our daughter is in the school band and we enjoy hearing the orchestra and chorus, as well at concerts! There are a number of sports available, such as Baseball, Softball, Soccer, LaCrosse, Wrestling, Volleyball, Golf and Tennis. The school provides Before and After Care for students, as well as Student Resources, A Tech Center and Peer Counseling, which has been particularly helpful in our daughter's transition into a new school. She enjoys her classes, teachers, and classmates. SCS strives to perfect the combination of balancing academics with spiritual growth. We appreciate the school and faculty commitment to an excellent education and preparation for success.

Posted April 5, 2012

My experience with the school comes from several perspectives. First as a parent, then as a volunteer and then as a teacher. I would have to say that I have seen the school from all aspects and interacted on all of these levels so I can honestly say that although no school is perfect every aspect has been beneficial. There is an overall desire to serve God and families. The preparation for college is top notch and the Christian training is like none other. Where else can you have an academic education along with chapels and worship and missions teams- along with great music programs and sports? The best feature is that there is an attitude of seeking and striving to improve all the time. The school is not resting on its laurels and being satisfied with what is done but continues to desire excellence in all they do!

Posted January 17, 2012

My son graduated from SCS and is now attending Gordon College in Wenham, MA as a pre-med major. He previously attended a public school with a top rating, and I have to say that he was much happier at SCS. The classes are smaller which allows for a more personalized approached. AP classes are offered at this school as well as memberships in various academic honor societies if your child qualifies. My son so far has made a smooth transisiton into college and is doing well thanks to the foundation that he received at SCS.

Posted August 22, 2011

Although smiling, praising faces are all around, when comes to kids who need special help, frowns are plenty. It is very usual to see kids near graduation asked to leave the school due to grades so the schools reputation is not tarnished. If you are naturally self motivated, and bright you can make it in anyschool. Nothing special and definitely not worth the tuition for academic standarts, but if you want christian teachings strongly in your childs education, its the place to be. I am not sure how the principal leadership is rated 5, but principal involvement with my child was usually not positive encounter. and as far as the teachers are concerned below average is the concencus among most parents. This site must attact most of the strongly Christian stay home moms who are striving to upkeep the school name.

Posted February 24, 2011

I am very happy my daughter comes to this school. She is becoming a young woman of God while getting an excellent education at the same time. I have to say the school is not all that strict, like a normal high school/elementary school and there is a distinct separation between the high school students and elementary students and extra circular activities and advanced courses, and the sports teams are phenomenal.

Posted October 18, 2009

I am very happy my two sons graduated from this school. They are strong in character and values.

Posted May 18, 2009

SCS is an okay school. Accelerated programs are not available until late high school. Soccer team is excellent, but other sports and clubs are lacking. Walking into the average high school classroom, you see a messy room and disorganized teaching. Some of the teachers are good, but the academics are low for the price. Aside from that, the student body is full of very nice kids and most are all friends. There is a very big emphasis on God and the Bible, as well as unique worship programs. The school is very strict, which keeps students in line. If your child is above average for his or her grade level, he or she may be bored at SCS.

Asian 5% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation Liberty University
Stony Brook University
St. Joseph's University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Italian
Korean
Spanish
Greek
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Roger Erdvig
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Pentecostal
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (631) 982-8251

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper