Posted March 22, 2011
This school has excellent teachers who care about students. The extra-curricular activities are great, and are enthusiastically attended and administered. The kids are lovely, I never hear of any bullying or nasty behavior. The school has a new principal this year, so it remains to be seen how she is performing, but for the last 18 months, things have been excellent. I do think there is too much homework. Not a problem in itself, but some of it seems a bit pointless to me. All in all though, a great school.

Somers Middle School 0

Posted March 19, 2010
All three of my children have gone through or are going through SMS. For your average student it is a wonderful school. It is the gifted children who are left behind. Whether it is the no-child left behind act, or the general state of education, as long as a student is going well grade wise - no steps for enrichment are taken. As a member of AGATE - I have met many other parents who are equally disappointed with the fact that other school districts have created programs for the advanced student that do more than feed them the next grade level. Enrichment instead of acceleration should be mandatory. Somers is by no means a poor school district. Perhaps instead of new football fields, more money should be directed toward the gifted student.

Posted September 22, 2009

Somers Middle School 4

Posted March 18, 2009

Somers Middle School 1

Posted December 03, 2008
SMS held me back in so many ways. During my time spent there I was just making honor roll, yet the year after that, at my current school, I flew through like a breeze. Now, I am taking all AP/honors classes and I'm a high honors student. I doubt this would have happened at Somers. The teachers & administrative staff all had clear favorites, and refused to do anything about bullying problems. I feel as if I have wasted my time at SMS, and I am so thankful I managed to move away...

Somers Middle School 3

Posted October 06, 2008
This school is great. Class sizes can be relatively small, and the exploratory classes provide additional excitement for students. The only drawback- which I don't personally hold against the school- is that there are hardly any classes that do anything more than speed up the pace, 'accelerated' classes. The school needs to institute more honors and high school level classes, a studnet may possibly receive about 3 high school credits at this school, and many enter with less than that. But that I blame on the No Child Left Behind Act, which makes schools neglect gifted students and puts all priority on special education, so I give it 3 stars.

Somers Middle School
250 U.S. 202, Somers, NY  10589
Last modified Somers Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somers Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top