Somers, NY

Somers Middle School 5

Posted March 22, 2011
This school has excellent teachers who care about students. The extra-curricular activities are great, and are enthusiastically attended and administered. The kids are lovely, I never hear of any bullying or nasty behavior. The school has a new principal this year, so it remains to be seen how she is performing, but for the last 18 months, things have been excellent. I do think there is too much homework. Not a problem in itself, but some of it seems a bit pointless to me. All in all though, a great school.

Posted March 19, 2010
All three of my children have gone through or are going through SMS. For your average student it is a wonderful school. It is the gifted children who are left behind. Whether it is the no-child left behind act, or the general state of education, as long as a student is going well grade wise - no steps for enrichment are taken. As a member of AGATE - I have met many other parents who are equally disappointed with the fact that other school districts have created programs for the advanced student that do more than feed them the next grade level. Enrichment instead of acceleration should be mandatory. Somers is by no means a poor school district. Perhaps instead of new football fields, more money should be directed toward the gifted student.

Posted December 03, 2008
SMS held me back in so many ways. During my time spent there I was just making honor roll, yet the year after that, at my current school, I flew through like a breeze. Now, I am taking all AP/honors classes and I'm a high honors student. I doubt this would have happened at Somers. The teachers & administrative staff all had clear favorites, and refused to do anything about bullying problems. I feel as if I have wasted my time at SMS, and I am so thankful I managed to move away...

Somers Middle School 3

Posted October 06, 2008
This school is great. Class sizes can be relatively small, and the exploratory classes provide additional excitement for students. The only drawback- which I don't personally hold against the school- is that there are hardly any classes that do anything more than speed up the pace, 'accelerated' classes. The school needs to institute more honors and high school level classes, a studnet may possibly receive about 3 high school credits at this school, and many enter with less than that. But that I blame on the No Child Left Behind Act, which makes schools neglect gifted students and puts all priority on special education, so I give it 3 stars.

Posted September 08, 2008
The middle school is a bad three years for students in the Somers, NY. Children are on teams by chance-the teams do not have equally qualified teachers, nor test and grade uniformally. Actually teachers are primarily allowed to do as they please. Administration is a joke-they do not hold their employees nor themselves accountable for anything. SMS has forgotten most parents want their children to learn the material; not just get good grades. Favoritism is very apparent and 'parent teachers' are all over the place. The principal's priority is to cover her teacher's backs when they make errors instead of supporting her students. Shouldn't a principal's goal/top priority be to educate? I recommend to stay on top of the teacher's because they are not held to any standard-at all. You need to do it-or your child. Don't bother with administration-they don't care about the students.

Somers Middle School 4

Posted September 08, 2008
Somers Middle School has great facilities, now that a major addition has been completed. Excellent music programs-both band and orchestra, and excellent extracurriculars. Inadequate attention to needs of gifted students - huge need for honors classes in English, foreign language, social studies. Instead, gifted students are held back by needs of less advanced students. Advanced classes in science don't begin till 8th grade-should begin in 6th grade. Advanced math classes are excellent.

Posted September 07, 2008
Somers Middle School is top notch and second to none is every way. Teachers are bright, child centered and use great, current, creative methodology. Administration runs a great school, responsive to parents, great with kids. And the new additions are just spectacular. Block scheduling, well used, really puts this lighthouse school front and center where it belongs. Second to none!

Posted June 26, 2008
Since my kids have gone to Somers Middle School, I have seen nothing but success and accomplishment! The school has a very good district and every question I have asked I have gotten a very satisfactory answer. I have had no problems with SMS, and I look forward to the years that my daughter will spend at Somers Middle School.

Somers Middle School 3

Posted August 27, 2007
I was once a student at Somers Middle School and now I am reflecting my past three years. It has been an amazing journey finding myself as a student. The only bad point about my entire experience was band. I played in band for three years and I felt no connection between my band teacher.

Posted July 21, 2007
I too was very disappointed in the Middle School, The principal has no interaction with the students. There is no accountably to anyone. Teachers do not meet the needs of the students. The counselors has no idea what they are doing. Things look good on paper, but in reality they stink! If I had to do it again, I would send my children to private school.

250 U.S. 202, Somers, NY  10589
Last modified Somers Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somers Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top