Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Posted December 11, 2015
I completely agree with the previous review. My son also loves the school and teachers but I am quite irritated with the lack of organization of this school. They can’t get their act together with Pupilpath. One day your child is in honors and next day he is failing the subject with a zero because the teacher did not post grades correctly or something else. English/Writing 6th grade is a nightmare, always late and often making mistakes --- and good luck trying to email this teacher! She will ignore you. Pupilpath its an amazing tool for the teachers , students, parents and others schools are mastering but Maels is falling miserably. Also, working parents are not part of the Maels family since all the activities for parents are done in the afternoon hours and it doesn’t look like the principal cares about changing her schedule to accommodate all. To be fair, they have a good staff and the parents coordinator its also on top of everything answering any questions you might have.

Posted October 27, 2015
This is a good school, NOT a great one and the overall State grade for MAELS tells you all. Like any other school you have good and bad. My daughter loves it --- also mentions how great the teachers are over there... And let's be honest that's all you want to hear from your child. The curriculum it's interesting and they do keep the kid's engaged! I am shocked of my daughter’s improvement in Math in such a short period of time. So if she is happy I am happy as well. Personally, what upsets me about this school is the lack of organization. For a school with so many rules and regulations for the students, you would expect them to follow theirs as well. They tell you "A" but its actually "Z", information coming to student’s home are not always followed by the school, grades are not posted correctly, teachers and staff tell you different things about the same issue, after school programs changed out of the blue without notifications to the parents and the list goes on and on..., quite frustrating. Something else that is quite disturbing to me is that they do not consider working parents since training and programs are offered to parents on the early afternoon hours. So if you are a full time working parent like myself to bad for you. This is my honest opinion without any preconceptions. I do believe this school have the potential to be great and would love to help them and to be part of the team. But like it seems to me that engaging working parents in the school's activities it's not convenient to MAELS schedule.

Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning 1

Posted May 30, 2015
It stinks. My niece was mentally tortured for 3 years. She's never been the same.

Posted July 28, 2014
I'm a parent of a soon to be 8th grader. I'm heartbroken that my child is graduating next year from this school to High School simply because this school is so amazing. My child is an honor student (6th & 7th grade thus far) and is very much loving his experience here. The teachers, staff are just awesome. The teachers are engaged and set high standards for all the students. Extra help is available for those who needed it . The curriculum is not easy and students are expected to excel. Being a student here is no walk in the park, but help is available for every child to exceed. Not sure about the negative reviews but I'm one satisfied parent. I'm just a bit nervous my 4th grader who has to enter the lottery for this school in a few years and if he does not get into MAELS I really don't have a plan B : ( . NOTE: Never had an issue with the school bus service, maybe we've been lucky all around about MAELS. Parents don't think twice about sending your child to this school, there's no better non-paid option in SI.

Posted January 12, 2014
I am a student here and after reading one of the parent reviews I want to say that this school is amazing, and the lie about how kids drop out after the 6th grade I not true, and if they do then the school has more children that would be glad to tae their spot. this school is like a family, and sure some of the teachers are young, and so what they do not have kids maybe they do not want any at the moment. this school cares for the students and would do anything to help them. if the school sees that a student is failing they give their parent a notice for after school help and Saturday help, and I know who wants to be in school on Saturday, but it would help you so you pass. all the teachers welcome you with open arms and smiles. the heck they even give breakfast for reading more then 5 books, or just for the kids and parents to talk. so take it from me and all the other students when we say that this school is amazing and both your child and you should be great full on making it to that school.

Posted July 17, 2013
Marsh avenue is a great school. The teachers are so friendly and the principle knows each one of your names. The teaching style is great and helpful. I'm having a great time at marsh and everyone is like a family because its not a huge school. I love how the teachers take out their own time in order to help you. And the electives are great and there is so much variety from sports to music and art. And there is also aerobics which is really fun and a great elective to make friends. I am a student at marsh and I am loving it here!!!:)

Posted October 19, 2012
I have a child that is currently attending MAELS and he absolutely loves it and so do I. He was lucky enough to be the only child from his elementary school to get picked this year and though he was nervous and didn't know anyone, the staff,teachers and aides have helped make his transition into middle school a much easier one. As a parent I love the level of involvement of the principal and the openness of the school which gives parents the opportunity to experience expeditionary learning first hand. A great choice for any child that is lucky enough to make it in!!!

Posted September 01, 2012
I recently graduated from this school and I was heartbroken because I missed it so much! We all felt like a family, one of the perks of it being a small school. I loved it so much there and I plan on returning for visits whenever I can! They had a special way of teaching that made every single student all get to learn and understand the lesson. If you were still confused with something, they made time for you to help you with it. Every teacher cares so much about each and every one of their students. It was a very loving and caring environment, making you feel more comfortable to learn and ask questions. I know that to me, no other school I will attend can ever live up to what I experienced at Marsh. They also prepared me for high school, making it seem less scary to leave. On the last day of school of 8th grade, we all stood in a circle and counted down the minutes. We ended up staying an extra half hour there just to cry and say our goodbyes. I will never forget this school for as long as i live. I truly loved attending Marsh Avenue! And you will NOT regret sending your child[ren] there! :)

Posted August 13, 2012
My son is entering 7th grade in September 2012. This is a wonderful school, with caring teachers and administrators. Though their teaching is a different fashion, it seems to work well. Help is always available if needed. A small environment, so everyone knows each other, which is very nice. A great choice for a middle school on Staten Island.

Posted July 10, 2011
i am a soon to be student at this school i would like to come here because of the previous views i have read and also because i have been told this is a good school i look forward to being a student here and I'm sure i would be satisfied in this school

Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning
100 Essex Drive, Staten Island, NY  10314
Last modified Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.