Staten Island, NY

Posted July 28, 2014
I'm a parent of a soon to be 8th grader. I'm heartbroken that my child is graduating next year from this school to High School simply because this school is so amazing. My child is an honor student (6th & 7th grade thus far) and is very much loving his experience here. The teachers, staff are just awesome. The teachers are engaged and set high standards for all the students. Extra help is available for those who needed it . The curriculum is not easy and students are expected to excel. Being a student here is no walk in the park, but help is available for every child to exceed. Not sure about the negative reviews but I'm one satisfied parent. I'm just a bit nervous my 4th grader who has to enter the lottery for this school in a few years and if he does not get into MAELS I really don't have a plan B : ( . NOTE: Never had an issue with the school bus service, maybe we've been lucky all around about MAELS. Parents don't think twice about sending your child to this school, there's no better non-paid option in SI.

Posted January 12, 2014
I am a student here and after reading one of the parent reviews I want to say that this school is amazing, and the lie about how kids drop out after the 6th grade I not true, and if they do then the school has more children that would be glad to tae their spot. this school is like a family, and sure some of the teachers are young, and so what they do not have kids maybe they do not want any at the moment. this school cares for the students and would do anything to help them. if the school sees that a student is failing they give their parent a notice for after school help and Saturday help, and I know who wants to be in school on Saturday, but it would help you so you pass. all the teachers welcome you with open arms and smiles. the heck they even give breakfast for reading more then 5 books, or just for the kids and parents to talk. so take it from me and all the other students when we say that this school is amazing and both your child and you should be great full on making it to that school.

Posted July 17, 2013
Marsh avenue is a great school. The teachers are so friendly and the principle knows each one of your names. The teaching style is great and helpful. I'm having a great time at marsh and everyone is like a family because its not a huge school. I love how the teachers take out their own time in order to help you. And the electives are great and there is so much variety from sports to music and art. And there is also aerobics which is really fun and a great elective to make friends. I am a student at marsh and I am loving it here!!!:)

Posted October 19, 2012
I have a child that is currently attending MAELS and he absolutely loves it and so do I. He was lucky enough to be the only child from his elementary school to get picked this year and though he was nervous and didn't know anyone, the staff,teachers and aides have helped make his transition into middle school a much easier one. As a parent I love the level of involvement of the principal and the openness of the school which gives parents the opportunity to experience expeditionary learning first hand. A great choice for any child that is lucky enough to make it in!!!

Posted September 01, 2012
I recently graduated from this school and I was heartbroken because I missed it so much! We all felt like a family, one of the perks of it being a small school. I loved it so much there and I plan on returning for visits whenever I can! They had a special way of teaching that made every single student all get to learn and understand the lesson. If you were still confused with something, they made time for you to help you with it. Every teacher cares so much about each and every one of their students. It was a very loving and caring environment, making you feel more comfortable to learn and ask questions. I know that to me, no other school I will attend can ever live up to what I experienced at Marsh. They also prepared me for high school, making it seem less scary to leave. On the last day of school of 8th grade, we all stood in a circle and counted down the minutes. We ended up staying an extra half hour there just to cry and say our goodbyes. I will never forget this school for as long as i live. I truly loved attending Marsh Avenue! And you will NOT regret sending your child[ren] there! :)

Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning 4

Posted July 10, 2011
i am a soon to be student at this school i would like to come here because of the previous views i have read and also because i have been told this is a good school i look forward to being a student here and I'm sure i would be satisfied in this school

Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning 1

Posted June 03, 2011
I have to say, that to say this school is very different is not enough. Everyone I have met from administrators to teachers are very young. They have no children of their own and therefore have no personal experience or knowledge as to what it is to raise a child. The promise of working individually with your child is not true. This school has children from all the different neighborhoods in Staten Island. Kids do not feel welcome, they are not taught acceptance and team work. This school has no control over their yellow buses and therefore lots of kids fight and get hurt on the buses and the school tells you to call the bus company with any and all issues you might have. A lot of students, after completing the 6th grade, do not come back to this school. I would love for them to let us contact parents and students in private before we apply for this lottery to find out what this school is about. Do your research, listen to other parents. This school is not what it looks like!!!!!!!!! My child is not coming back next year.

Posted February 27, 2011
There are not enough words to express how I feel about MAELS and my daughter is only in the 6th grade. This is one school that you actually know that your child is learning everything and anything that they offer. The teaching method in MAELS maybe odd to people but this hands on learning is the greatest thing ever. They teach all their students that no matter what subject they learn always effects their everyday life and their futures. The principal, teachers, and the staff all around make you feel like you are home and you are always welcomed. This is the ONLY school that I have had a principal get back to me on National Holiday to answer my questions. I am so grateful that MAELS is unlike every other Junior High School on Staten Island.

Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning 4

Posted February 02, 2011
This is wonderful school. Students have a voice in thier learning experience. Students are able to explore concepts through hands on projects. Very dedicated teachers are what make this school work. The school does need more parents to get involved rather than sit back and be Monday quarterbacks.

Posted February 01, 2011
My daughter is in the 6 grade, and I have to say that this is the first school that I have encountered that actually teaches. i am very happy with the teachers, and the office staff. Everyone makes you feel welcome. My daughter is doing GREAT!! Thank you , I almost went into shock when I realized that you can always e-mail a teacher if you have a question or a problem. That was foreign to me, but i have to say that it was a breath of fresh air, and they actually get back to you. Go figure !!!! .I LIVE FAR FROM THE SCHOOL AND i HAVE TO SAY THAT IT IS WORTH THE COMMUTE. THANK YOU

Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning
100 Essex Drive, Staten Island, NY  10314
Last modified Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marsh Avenue School For Expeditionary Learning Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top