Public charter
Staten Island, NY

Posted June 23, 2014
My daughter is finishing her second year at Levelle Prep. The only good thing in this school is the fact that the kids can't walk out, or cut school and that the school calls if a child is absent. I find it hard to believe that this school is a college prep school. The teachers are nice but most times it takes away from having order and this is why the kids do and act as they please. Homework assignments are rare and if given it doesn't take more than ten minutes to complete. I am very disappointed because i had higher expectations in Lavelle. I am pulling my daughter out to get an education that will challenge her for better rather than just get her through. There are numerous opportunities that other schools have to offer her for a brighter future
3 people found this helpful

Posted February 12, 2014
Dont send your child here they have no control over discipline... The reading scores are horrible and the children lack respect for themselves or authority... A complete waste....

Posted January 30, 2014
Lavelle Prep..This school does nothing for the students and they treat the students like they are nothing. My son has been in this school since the 6th grade and nothing but trouble. I have called the school because my son was being bullied and they did nothing. I had to take matters into my own hands. The teachers are there just for a pay check not to help the student. My son got suspended for tapping on the chair and school told me if I can't pick him I can give verbal permission to let him take the city bus home. Mind you he is only in the 8th grade are you kidding me. No school even high school will let your child leave with a parent. Also the teachers do not reach out to the parents. The staff feels as though they do nothing wrong and your child is the one who is wrong.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 10, 2014
If your looking for a college prep school with a lot of low average students with lots of special needs, bullying and suspension central, inexperienced teachers, could be better leadership with students who couldnt make it in a general public school come join this alternate like school its 4 u.

John W Lavelle Preparatory Charter School 3

Posted November 04, 2013
My son is in eigth grade. He says it's a nice school. I don't like the location the school is in and it only has one city bus. It goes by two other schools and it gets really crowded. The kids act very wild on the city bus. The teachers seem very nice, but some don't stay very long. I think if you're going to be a charter school teacher, you should make it a fun learning and caring enviornment. Usually when you hear about schools in the bronx or Philadelphia, the teachers are outstanding. The kids need afterschool activities and should be involved in their community. There should be volunteer programs. All parents should be informed how to be active in their child's school. If parents and teachers work together, this can be a wonderful school. Other schools have chess, math, and drama clubs. It would be nice if this school had those options too. Parents should be informed how to prepare their child for college. Let's make this a great school.

Posted September 06, 2013
Its really sad that a charter school is getting poor ratings and bad reviews yet, Other public middle schools are getting way better ratings and reviews. Isn't charter schools supposed to be better on performance ? I am a student who will be attending 9th grade this year and i'm NOT looking forward to it because of my experience there last year. I can't wait to transfer to a regular high school but until then I have to go through another year at Lavelle.......wish me luck

Posted August 18, 2013
Keep the changes coming, but these changes are they for the better? Where did the quality staff and students go? The school is that low on funds to have a graduation at a hall? Mission hardly accomplished but keep trying...Generally, high turnovers in staff and students are negative how much are you investing in the staff and students really?? Are the behavioral kids under control....not yet from what I see keep trying...Some charter schools it seems get the kids who were kicked out public schools with no where to go or the students are fleeing from the schools they were zoned for near the projects IS 44,IS 24 etc this is my expereience here.. Submitted by a parent

John W Lavelle Preparatory Charter School 5

Posted January 29, 2013
My daughter has been at Lavelle Prep for two years now. Our experience at Lavelle has been wonderful.. The teachers are outstanding.. They are young and motivated.. They genuinely care about the students progress. My daughters grades improved tremendously.. she likes the small class size.. They keep me informed regularly and my experience with the administration is amazing... very welcoming and always pleasant. The teachers and staff are always very professional. I know they do not tolerate bad behavior... which is a concern for any parent. I know from previous jr. high school experiences with my older children that this is an excellent school and I am very proud to say that my child attends John W. Lavelle Prep Charter School and I am grateful that they have given us this opportunity. My daughter made many friends and she is very happy here.

Posted April 23, 2012
when i heard they was openning a charter school on the island, I was over joyed! but now that my child goes there im ready 2 take her out!..there is so much that goes on there..the teachers are young and may have a degree but they dont have experience handling kids with disabilities...the way they handle it is to try to get them out of the school..my daughter is an example of this but they dont have to try to push her out the school i will transfer her out where she will be treated better than how she is treated now .this school is such a let down..i would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted December 07, 2011
I posted here on Nov 18, 2010. My child made progress in 6th grade- but 7th has been a nightmare. I am now preparing to take my child out of Lavelle. Their talk is great - they promise the world, but deliver nothing. While most of the teachers are dedicated and committed, the school's administration has their heads in the sand and despite lots of parent feedback - prefers to keep the status quo rather then improving the school for its children. Cursing, wandering, speaking and acting out is tolerated in classrooms. My child is bullied daily, and the wellness curriculum is in print only - if you bring a situation to their attention - they turn on you and not the perpetrator. The extended hours mean kids leave school in the dark and then have to complete about 2 hours of homework. And yet, there is little progress in learning or grades. They are probably way too exhausted!! How many adults have a 12 hour day like these kids do? I would caution any parent considering Lavelle.

John W Lavelle Preparatory Charter School
1 Teleport Drive, Staten Island, NY  10311
Last modified John W Lavelle Preparatory Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John W Lavelle Preparatory Charter School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top