Is 61 William A Morris

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 1289 students

Posted October 8, 2013

My student likes the school. The early morning program is fantastic. I remain unimpressed with the level of communication from the school. Last year, my student's teachers did not use the website or the on-line tools to facilitate information sharing with Parents. This year is slightly better but it is not mandated by School Leadership. The website is is not updated frequently (calendar is often blank).

Posted September 30, 2013

IS 61 has many dedicated teachers- who have been part of this neighborhood school for a long time. The Music, vocal, dance, and drama programs are great and and service ALL kids you participate. Art could be better. My child is a Vocal student and the program is quite sophisticated. The new principal has put into place logical organizational changes that have helped the kids. Unfortunately the school has cut : foreign language- and this will impact college readiness! BUt this is true of high schools too! You must take a regents, and have multiple years of languages to get into a better college.

Posted July 9, 2013

I am going into the 8th grade at this school and it is horrible! The school is located in the ghetto and their are street fights almost everyday leading up to the police coming. If ur child is strong, their get through it here but their is many peer pressure. I know many peopl )almost 60% of the school smokes and drinks or has tried it. It is definitely not a good school! I am loooking forward to leaving

Posted September 6, 2012

I now have 2 children attending I.S. 61.I was not zoned for this school I had my children apply after I investigated and compared I.S. 61 to the other schools available to them. I was impressed with the independent curriculum, the academies variety and consistency throughout each course.The eChalk access to homework and messaging between teacher, student and parent is a wonderful communication tool. I am pleased with some teachers but a few of course could use a reality check and a blowtorch under their b*$@.But I always have caring, personal, and genuine communications with most of the faculty, especially their Vice Principal. As for the student's environment and society, a child can fall prey to a negative element even in the most luxurious of institutions.We as parents need to remember our child's behavior and decision making ability falls on us. How they behave away from us and whom they choose to mingle with is taught at home. As for homework, projects and exams, each course has extensive at home and independent work, we as parents need to be aware of their online assignments and keep track of project deadlines.Our children's education and independent growth are in good hands

Posted December 22, 2011

My sons started IS61 this year and we have had a great experience. We have heard of some situations but nothing causing physical injury. The teachers administer discipline. They allow parents to monitor the classes. We feel welcome when visiting the school. The PTA appears a little lacking. I believe there could be more involvement. My sons are doing quite well and are in honors classes. I believe the public school education they are receiving is excellent. The amount of homework a student brings home isn't an indication of the level of eduction they are receiving.

Posted December 20, 2011

The terrible school... We transferred to IS61 from Catholic School 4 mns ago, it was big mistake. The differences between Catholic school my son attended & this school are: - much lower level of education. There is almost not homework at IS61. The light exception only math. - very low culture of IS61 students. Take a look how they behave during the breaks. It's like zoooo... The IS61 management does not keep discipline there. Your child will not study good things from this surrounding; - we had larcenies there. somebody stole his back pack before Christmas. There are 2 surveillance cameras there but their resolution is too low, impossible to distinguish something. - only one good thing at IS61: free music lessons. We didn't have it at Cath. Sch. IS61 makes concerts for parents. It's great to see your kid playing music on the scene. Thank you IS61 for that. I think the rating 4 is too high for this school. Only because music lessons it deserves 2.5. Sorry for the critic, I tried to be objective .

Posted November 16, 2011

I am a sixth grader here at I.S61 and i just love it here. There are so many extra curricular activities like the leaders club in which I am in. All my teachers (Mrs. Marabello, Mrs. Contrastano, Mrs. Legakis, Mrs. Simeone, Mr. Herron & Ms DeCaro) are nice and always put humor in every lesson. I am in journalism and photo journalism because we alternate every day. This helps me experience more. I'm glad that I will be here for the next 3 years because I know it's going to be amzaing with the great techers, staff, classmates, and my friends

Posted November 4, 2010

I feel I.S 61 is a great school because they really have a lot programs and opportunities for the students. My child is in a special Ed class but since she has been here, her knowledge, attention span, her endurance, and scores are increasing. The faculty including all teachers, principals,secreatries, and everyone are very helpful and you can tell they care for these students safety, and care about these kids obtaining proper education. They treat them like if they were one of their own. I went to this school so did my siblings, my parents etc... I had the best time of my life and also learned so much in middle school. So I would definitely choose William A Morris Intermediate School. Keep up the good work! Thank you!

Posted October 14, 2010

My daughter loves this school. She has grown a bigger passion for dance and drama.

Posted November 22, 2009

I am a 2010 graudate and i agree i am also upset to leave. Throughout my 3 yrs at 61 i have learned so much from all my teachers. But i have learned the most by far from ms. guanieri's 8th grade math class. I will never forget her or any of my teachers for that matter.i wish the best of luck to the 2010 graduates and all the graduates and freahman to come! -Krystal

Posted November 12, 2009

I am a parent of a recent graduate and also have anthor child in this school . The staff has been very helpful to my family throughout these years . I am very happy with I.S.61

Posted November 1, 2009

The teaching staff goes above and beyond to help these kids.

Posted August 25, 2009

I am a 2009 graduate here at 61 and Im so upset to leave. This school has brought me the best memories of my life and friends I never want to lose. The teachers here are amazing (Mrs.Arbus-I never stopped laughing during her class. It was too much fun.(She's an 8th grade english teacher and a 7th grade creative writing teacher)) and the A.P's (Mr.LaMorte) are the best . Over the past 3 years I have never once doubted why i came to this school and never once stopped laughing. I love 61 with all my heart and best of luck to all of the 2009 graduates in High School! ~Christine

Posted July 16, 2009

this school i great the school amazing things to do!

Posted May 28, 2009

I am a sixth grader here at I.S.61! I absolutly love this school!! I am a drama major here an i love it! I'm really glad I still have two more years here because I really don't want to leave and when I do graduate I'm definatly coming back to visit! If you're thinking about sending your child to this school definatly do that! They will love it here! There are so many things to choose from like drama, dance, journalism, art, band, strings, chorus and much much much more!!Definatly come here!!!!

Posted April 10, 2009

This school is a wonderful school!!!! my children and i love is 61 and i think the teachers and the staff are great!! they work very hard with the children academically by giving them every opportunity to pull high grades. They send home letters informing us of the progress and they really care about the children. I had the opportunity to meet alot of the teachers and the children last year and again this year while helping out with this years school play 'the wiz' and they were respectful, helpful and energetic and lets not forget extremely talented people!! they were excited and they performed perfectly!! is 61 rocks!! i am soooo happy my children attend this school!! keep up the great work!! i would also like to add that i had an older child who attended another i.S. School and i feel that is 61 totally tops it!! :)))

Posted April 4, 2009

I am am eighth grader at 61, and this school is amazing! Alot of the graduating class(including myself) have been accepted into really great highschool Programs, like Curtis IB/SIS, LaGuardia, Wagner Scholars and more. This school has amazing after school programs like Life Designs led my the always helpful, Mr. Feurstein, over the last 3 years he has been more then a teacher to me and my friends, he became a friend to us. Same for my A.P and Dean Mr. LaMorte and Mr. Luisi. I will miss this school forever and longer. It gave me some of my greatest memories and friends, im so sad to leave and I appreciate every thing that the staff has done fo rme and my fellow graduates, good luck to all students in 61 now and for the years to come.

Posted March 30, 2009

Seems to be a good school thus far. Mr.Emery and Mr.Kittleson are extremely involved and dedicated to making this a great school.

Posted March 30, 2009

My child will graduate from this school in June and I wanted everyone to know that it has been a fantastic experience. The teachers are wonderful and so is the office staff. I was a little nervous because of the size of the school but we have not had one negative thing we could say about the 3 years. I know alot of the 8th graders are going on to private schools with scholarships and also alot were accepted to specialized schools. If you have any reservations I would say do not believe every thing you read (in the newspaper)) and give this school a chance. As we all know only the bad news makes the papers, maybe someone should ask the advance to do an article on all the positive things that go on

Posted March 30, 2009

This school is amazing. All of the teachers help as much as they can whenever possible. I myself as a Drama major/Honor Student have learned so much from Ms. Mcnally, Miss Zee and all of my other teachers. Mr. LaMorte is always such a great assistant principle; if you need anything just ask him and he will deal with it. This school is the best school I have ever went to. As a seventh grader myself i reccomend this school to students who want to strive for bigger and better things: 'Power, Prestige, and Money' -The Wiz '09 -

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

369 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

371 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

420 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

419 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Female16%

General population11%
Proficient in English10%
Non-migrant9%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students21%

English language learners10%
Proficient in English57%
Non-migrant53%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 53%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1742 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

6.4

8.0

7.7

8.4

5.4

7.2

6.2

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.4

8.5

7.1

7.4

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.1

7.5

6.4

7.2

7.3

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

7.6

Teachers8896%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. SUSAN TRONOLONE

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

445 Castleton Ave