Staten Island, NY
Students enrolled: 1,178

Posted May 31, 2015
i am graduating this year and i have got to say, this school will be missed. i always have felt cared for and safe when i am at this school. it was like a second home... the teachers were caring, high-demanding, and over all amazing. the deans, nurses, and everyone else were also very supportive. there were amazing programs, lots of trips, hands on activities, and they really allowed you to be independent whilst working with others. the students here are diverse and it taught me many culures and backrounds. one of my friends is native american and she toldme stories from her family that social studies teacher teaching.we were like a family.my class has been together for 3 years and we have all really gotten close.we have had good,bad,sad, and hilarious times and discovered each others personalities.words cannot describe it!! the history behind this place also is a very fascinating one. the teahers also have very interesting backrounds and personailties. the building also has an amzing playgroud, libary, new gymnasium renovated by the NBA FIT company, multiple new apple computer rooms on each floor, beautifully designed and ceative hallways, concourse level dedicated to performing arts, and many more other things. they also have the magnet programs that show off the schools real talent.Visual arts, strings, band,jazz band, chamber groups, photojournalism, sign language, chorus, drama,dance company, theatre.etc.not to mention all the academics.i have to take two regents this year..(ninth grade level living environment;science,and algebra) which puts me in tenth grade level courses next year. this helps me when i want to apply for colleges. this school also offers other events afterschool, during weekends, or sometimes during school. we have our astounding anual music production (this year GREASE),concerts,tournaments,competitions,schoolnewspaper, student vs staff sport competions ( we have had a basketball game a couple of months ago), dinner theatre, student government, leaders club (community service0 and a lot of other things that are way too much to remember. the students also help teachers auditon incoming sixth graders for the magnets, help decorate hallways, run concerts and musicals, come up with ideas for programs/events, and other things too. i will never foget my experiances here and it will be truly missed. i am true '61 Knight forever

Posted March 17, 2015
Great school and staff excellent students and programs best school on the island by far.

Posted October 08, 2013
My student likes the school. The early morning program is fantastic. I remain unimpressed with the level of communication from the school. Last year, my student's teachers did not use the website or the on-line tools to facilitate information sharing with Parents. This year is slightly better but it is not mandated by School Leadership. The website is is not updated frequently (calendar is often blank).

Posted September 30, 2013
IS 61 has many dedicated teachers- who have been part of this neighborhood school for a long time. The Music, vocal, dance, and drama programs are great and and service ALL kids you participate. Art could be better. My child is a Vocal student and the program is quite sophisticated. The new principal has put into place logical organizational changes that have helped the kids. Unfortunately the school has cut : foreign language- and this will impact college readiness! BUt this is true of high schools too! You must take a regents, and have multiple years of languages to get into a better college.

Is 61 William A Morris 1

Posted July 09, 2013
I am going into the 8th grade at this school and it is horrible! The school is located in the ghetto and their are street fights almost everyday leading up to the police coming. If ur child is strong, their get through it here but their is many peer pressure. I know many peopl )almost 60% of the school smokes and drinks or has tried it. It is definitely not a good school! I am loooking forward to leaving

Posted September 06, 2012
I now have 2 children attending I.S. 61.I was not zoned for this school I had my children apply after I investigated and compared I.S. 61 to the other schools available to them. I was impressed with the independent curriculum, the academies variety and consistency throughout each course.The eChalk access to homework and messaging between teacher, student and parent is a wonderful communication tool. I am pleased with some teachers but a few of course could use a reality check and a blowtorch under their b*$@.But I always have caring, personal, and genuine communications with most of the faculty, especially their Vice Principal. As for the student's environment and society, a child can fall prey to a negative element even in the most luxurious of institutions.We as parents need to remember our child's behavior and decision making ability falls on us. How they behave away from us and whom they choose to mingle with is taught at home. As for homework, projects and exams, each course has extensive at home and independent work, we as parents need to be aware of their online assignments and keep track of project deadlines.Our children's education and independent growth are in good hands

Posted June 22, 2012
Three of my children have been in this school (one graduated this year)and we have had the best teachers and education. Despite the abuses suffered by teachers by unruly students (I have witnessed several times students cursing at staff and other students when I went up there for early pick-ups), the teachers always maintain a respectful demeanor. I would never work in that environment but would send all of my kids again and again.

Posted December 22, 2011
My sons started IS61 this year and we have had a great experience. We have heard of some situations but nothing causing physical injury. The teachers administer discipline. They allow parents to monitor the classes. We feel welcome when visiting the school. The PTA appears a little lacking. I believe there could be more involvement. My sons are doing quite well and are in honors classes. I believe the public school education they are receiving is excellent. The amount of homework a student brings home isn't an indication of the level of eduction they are receiving.

Is 61 William A Morris 1

Posted December 20, 2011
The terrible school... We transferred to IS61 from Catholic School 4 mns ago, it was big mistake. The differences between Catholic school my son attended & this school are: - much lower level of education. There is almost not homework at IS61. The light exception only math. - very low culture of IS61 students. Take a look how they behave during the breaks. It's like zoooo... The IS61 management does not keep discipline there. Your child will not study good things from this surrounding; - we had larcenies there. somebody stole his back pack before Christmas. There are 2 surveillance cameras there but their resolution is too low, impossible to distinguish something. - only one good thing at IS61: free music lessons. We didn't have it at Cath. Sch. IS61 makes concerts for parents. It's great to see your kid playing music on the scene. Thank you IS61 for that. I think the rating 4 is too high for this school. Only because music lessons it deserves 2.5. Sorry for the critic, I tried to be objective .

Posted November 16, 2011
I am a sixth grader here at I.S61 and i just love it here. There are so many extra curricular activities like the leaders club in which I am in. All my teachers (Mrs. Marabello, Mrs. Contrastano, Mrs. Legakis, Mrs. Simeone, Mr. Herron & Ms DeCaro) are nice and always put humor in every lesson. I am in journalism and photo journalism because we alternate every day. This helps me experience more. I'm glad that I will be here for the next 3 years because I know it's going to be amzaing with the great techers, staff, classmates, and my friends

Is 61 William A Morris
445 Castleton Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10301
Last modified Is 61 William A Morris is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Is 61 William A Morris Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 103 reviews. Top