Staten Island, NY
Students enrolled: 1,483

Posted October 06, 2013
I'm a former student at this school, i loved the teachers and all my best friends went to this school, i lovethe arista program and the trips we went on, i had a lot of fun at this school, my sister now goes here in class 622. I love this school that's all i have

Posted July 23, 2013
GREAT SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR YOUR CHILD ALOT OF PARENTS SAY IT IS A BAD SCHOOL BUT MY DAUGHTER HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE IN IT

Posted July 23, 2013
My son graduated from IS72 this past june. We have not one negative comment or complaint. Mr Macellari is a wonderful principal and has the respect from just about all his students. He has a great staff and a large school to run and we think he does an AWESOME job! In the areas of academics and socializing my son benefited from the wonderful teachers he had each year!

Is 72 Rocco Laurie 4

Posted October 21, 2012
Of course it's the schools fault. Of course all of the teachers are making your child miserable. Makes total sence...oh wait....maybe just maybe it's the KID!! And perhaps just by chance a severe lack of parenting...or knowledge of your own kid. Gotta love " not my kid" approach...sigh. And Bloomberg blames the teachers...that's funny!!!!

Is 72 Rocco Laurie 1

Posted May 31, 2012
I have to say, when the teachers in this school have a certain student they like to assume is wrong in every way whether they are or NOT, and all the time, they do not let up on that child for nothing! They become constantly petty, ridiculous and annoying and right away accuse that child for doing something wrong, instead of listening and fixing the problem in a rational way themselves. They are all on power trips and insulting kids bringing down their self esteem, and they make parents like me count the days for it to finally be over! Another thing is the air conditioning issue; there is no air on any other floor but the 1st, which is completely unfair, especially since heat rises, and completely unhealthy. Kids are literally getting sick and sent home. Is this better than actually doing something about getting air conditioning installed on all other floors? I don't think so! I heard this has been an on-going issue for a long time but still nothing has been done about it. Once again, ridiculous. IS72 should really make some important changes and maybe the school rating will finally go up!

Posted May 10, 2012
I am a seventh grader on the first floor and in a SP class. This school is absolutely fantastic! All the teachers are so nice, and they are extremely good at what they do. They are supportive of us students, and they make our lessons fun. The principal is also great! He knows most of the children in the school by name. Yes, the school has over 1,000 children, but there is power in numbers. When there are fights, they are broken up quickly and no one ever gets hurt. We students have great subjects/topics to learn such as: Math, Science, Social Studies, English, Italian/Spanish, Health, Computers, Journalism, Band, Music History, and Law Study. We students also go on a lot of great trips. The school is organized, and there are great programs such as ARISTA (The National Junior Honors Society). The 7th and 8th grade students in the SP classes receive the chance to take their freshman year of high school science, social studies, math regents and foreign language proficiency, enabling them to not have to take these classes and tests in high school if they pass. how great is that!! All in all, fabulous school. I'm actually kind of sad that I am leaving in a year! :'(

Posted April 18, 2012
I'm a student in the 6th grade SP of the school's 3rd floor. I must say, they should change the GreatSchools rating to a million, because this school is amazing. The teachers are amazing, and although there are fights they are broken up quickly. The amount of extracurricular activity makes this school stand out. The teachers teach correctly and have excellent methods that flex with students. I just love this school because of the new challenges and adventures we have everyday!

Posted April 02, 2012
I am a student in 6th grade SP on the first floor. This school is really good even though there may be some fights it is resolved very quickly. Im sure there are fights in most other schools also. All the teachers are very nice. Also, there are so many extracurricular activities. Another thing i like about this school is if you get an overall average of 90 or above, and have good behavior you get i to Arista. In Arista you get to go on alot of trips.

Posted December 01, 2011
I'am very pleased with this school. I'am a student there and I think that this school is very helpful. Although there are fights, they always know how to end it. There are police officers roaming around the building, so you always know not to get in trouble. So far, with my grades I'am very happy. The teachers are very nice and I can tell they care for all their students. I also like how they give you rewards for the good work that you have paid off. I'am in the 2nd floor SP and 6th grade. They really encourage you to work harder all the time.

Is 72 Rocco Laurie 1

Posted May 19, 2010
These people probably force the children to submit the votes for the Maximum Ride contest...

Is 72 Rocco Laurie
33 Ferndale Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10314
Last modified Is 72 Rocco Laurie is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Is 72 Rocco Laurie Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top