Staten Island, NY
Students enrolled: 1,018

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 1

Posted March 25, 2015
I am highly disappointed by the school . We moved this year to the south thinking that it is one of the best schools , but I am shocked with the poor quality of that school . I have to say that I am lucky with two good teachers , Mrs. Insalaco and Mrs. DelFino. If it wasn't for them , I would have homeschooled my children . The school principal and administration are in their own bubbles. They NEVER return any messages ;Except for Ms. A , assistant principals at the ECC . The school doesn't have any programs or clubs or any sort of activities that would enrich students learning experience. My older child is going to middle school soon , but I would try to move my first grader from that school . If you are a parent who is looking for a strong overall learning experience for your child , try to avoid that school .

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 4

Posted February 06, 2015
I went to this school and now my kids attend it and it has great potential to be as wonderful as it used to be. Principal Wilson is a wretch of a woman but her staff and PTA are fantastic. Especially the aides at their Annex. Such loving caring women who genuinely care about the kids.

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 1

Posted February 06, 2015
Mrs.Wilson (principal) by far lacks leadership and a big sense of urgency. When issues have been surfaced and you can finally get in contact with her, she seems to be interested but constantly denies that the issue can be happening or states that the issues is being magnified by the students. She is constantly defending the issues and changing her story. She is always get caught up with her lies. She should have been a politician. Then she will single out your child and make it a point to pass remarks to your child so any issue that has been addressed and she an justify that the parent might be incorrect at a point in time, she will tell the student go back and tell your parent... (Example: student were consistently been punished for taking during lunch and having to sit quietly in the auditorium afterwards. So if they didn't have to sit quietly she would tell that student to tell their parent when they got home that they didn't get punished today). it appears that her staff doesn't agree with a lot of her actions but live in fear.

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 3

Posted January 11, 2015
This school has such great potential. The teachers are very caring, but are scared of the principal. The principal is unapproachable and always right, even if she is wrong. Her vice principal will tell you what you want to hear then tell the next parent what they want to hear. The principal has a closed door policy. When at the annex, kids had fun learning, now that we are at the main, it is miserable. What is the point of a great education if the leaders don't follow suit?

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 5

Posted September 28, 2014
My daughter has attended PS3 since kindergarten, she is now in the 3rd grade. I am very happy with her academic performance. My experience was great with the Principal she gave me personal time and was very aware of my child's situation. My daughter loved all of her teachers, including her Para's. The staff has always understood and been very helpful in accommodating my daughter's severe medical condition. No complaints.

Posted September 16, 2014
PS 3 is NOT the place to be. The teachers are wonderful and are the only saving grace about this school. The administration is horrible. They never return calls. You have to ambush them by surprise in person during the school day to get any kind of answers. They never have PTA meetings at night so working parents can't attend. When you do bring up an issue at a PTA meeting Ms. Wilson shuts you down and says she'll talk to you in private but disappears. On the surface it seems like a good school with good programs. However it is overcrowded and you feel like you constantly have to fight to get basic things for your child. If Ms. Wilson and Ms. Papa were no longer there the place would be great. Until then the school is going down the tubes.

Posted September 12, 2014
My child is in the Gifted & Talented program. The score for this school is absurd and should be a lot lower. It is completely overcrowded due to the principal allowing special programs there despite the problem. The principal does not allow the kids to play outside at recess & have silent lunch due to being understaffed. A Kindergarten child left the school and was wandering the streets due to being locked out of the building. She finally made her way back in without any staff knowing she was gone. Ms. Wilson is completely unreasonable and sticks up for the teachers no matter how wrong they are. The music teacher had a nervous breakdown in my child's class (viewed by parents) & had to be removed by the AP. Ms. Wilson smiles in your face and then never calls you back or makes herself available to talk about any significant issues. The school has the lowest test scores out of the several schools in the area despite being in an affluent area with gifted students attending the school. If you have a choice please do not send your child here. You will be completely disappointed. I'm looking at having my child removed from the class & placed in the PS 8 G&T.

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 4

Posted September 11, 2014
My child goes to PS3 and over all the teachers have been great. On the other hand the Principal and assistant principal have not been great at all. They pay no mind to parents concerns or safety of the students. The principal makes decisions on whims that are not in the best interest of the children., The principal also has a bad attitude. and does not listen to the staff of the parents. Her way is the best way even when it is far from the best way. If by chance you should have a meeting with the principal. be prepared to wait for hours and then find she slipped out a side door. This is just the actions of a coward. Bottom line is the principal does not know how to run a school or communicate with parents or staff. This could be a much better place but it will not be until the principal is replaced.

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 5

Posted July 01, 2014
I think the rating of this school is unjust. Wonderful and caring teachers. ECC has the best principal we could have hoped for - I did not have much interaction with principal from the main building though. The amount of activities done with kids is great. Have not met a teacher I did not like here. My child is happy here. Learning well. What else can I ask for. Oh an although it is probably the same at all public schools - it really is nice that kids get a free breakfast and hot lunch is available for under $2.

Posted May 16, 2014
PS3 is not what it seems to be ! Horrible treatment of your kid is quarantined! Anyone who works there can turn around and decide to tell your child what to do and how to do so,how he dressed and if you will try to bring it to the principle attention ,well,it will be all your fault ,because ,everyone who works in ps 3 are Always right ,even if they decided to slap your child or made him feel miserable to tears ,it a all perfectly explainable to the principle of this school! I would never leave my child there ,it's just really upsetting that harm that school is already done !

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School
80 South Goff Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10309
Last modified Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 67 reviews. Top