Staten Island, NY

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 5

Posted September 28, 2014
My daughter has attended PS3 since kindergarten, she is now in the 3rd grade. I am very happy with her academic performance. My experience was great with the Principal she gave me personal time and was very aware of my child's situation. My daughter loved all of her teachers, including her Para's. The staff has always understood and been very helpful in accommodating my daughter's severe medical condition. No complaints.

Posted September 16, 2014
PS 3 is NOT the place to be. The teachers are wonderful and are the only saving grace about this school. The administration is horrible. They never return calls. You have to ambush them by surprise in person during the school day to get any kind of answers. They never have PTA meetings at night so working parents can't attend. When you do bring up an issue at a PTA meeting Ms. Wilson shuts you down and says she'll talk to you in private but disappears. On the surface it seems like a good school with good programs. However it is overcrowded and you feel like you constantly have to fight to get basic things for your child. If Ms. Wilson and Ms. Papa were no longer there the place would be great. Until then the school is going down the tubes.

Posted September 12, 2014
My child is in the Gifted & Talented program. The score for this school is absurd and should be a lot lower. It is completely overcrowded due to the principal allowing special programs there despite the problem. The principal does not allow the kids to play outside at recess & have silent lunch due to being understaffed. A Kindergarten child left the school and was wandering the streets due to being locked out of the building. She finally made her way back in without any staff knowing she was gone. Ms. Wilson is completely unreasonable and sticks up for the teachers no matter how wrong they are. The music teacher had a nervous breakdown in my child's class (viewed by parents) & had to be removed by the AP. Ms. Wilson smiles in your face and then never calls you back or makes herself available to talk about any significant issues. The school has the lowest test scores out of the several schools in the area despite being in an affluent area with gifted students attending the school. If you have a choice please do not send your child here. You will be completely disappointed. I'm looking at having my child removed from the class & placed in the PS 8 G&T.

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 4

Posted September 11, 2014
My child goes to PS3 and over all the teachers have been great. On the other hand the Principal and assistant principal have not been great at all. They pay no mind to parents concerns or safety of the students. The principal makes decisions on whims that are not in the best interest of the children., The principal also has a bad attitude. and does not listen to the staff of the parents. Her way is the best way even when it is far from the best way. If by chance you should have a meeting with the principal. be prepared to wait for hours and then find she slipped out a side door. This is just the actions of a coward. Bottom line is the principal does not know how to run a school or communicate with parents or staff. This could be a much better place but it will not be until the principal is replaced.

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 5

Posted July 01, 2014
I think the rating of this school is unjust. Wonderful and caring teachers. ECC has the best principal we could have hoped for - I did not have much interaction with principal from the main building though. The amount of activities done with kids is great. Have not met a teacher I did not like here. My child is happy here. Learning well. What else can I ask for. Oh an although it is probably the same at all public schools - it really is nice that kids get a free breakfast and hot lunch is available for under $2.

Posted May 16, 2014
PS3 is not what it seems to be ! Horrible treatment of your kid is quarantined! Anyone who works there can turn around and decide to tell your child what to do and how to do so,how he dressed and if you will try to bring it to the principle attention ,well,it will be all your fault ,because ,everyone who works in ps 3 are Always right ,even if they decided to slap your child or made him feel miserable to tears ,it a all perfectly explainable to the principle of this school! I would never leave my child there ,it's just really upsetting that harm that school is already done !

Posted October 29, 2013
The principal at this school just wanted to pass the buck today!! My son doesn't get off at his bus stop ..I go crazy looking for him for nearly an hour and find out that he got off at the main building for latchkey.. He doesn't belong there!!!! According to staff at the annex they thought he was on the earlier bus!! What??!! So he's been missing for what is now 2 hrs. and I'm just being notified? Her answer to me was well he was never actually lost he was here the whole time.. I said well to me he was lost cause no one told me where he was.. When I received the phone call on my cell at 4:00 I was told to call the school (regarding my son) I said to myself, ok I'll call them as soon as I get him off the bus.. No son on the bus!! Her answer to me then was well no one answered the phone .. I said I called u less than a minute later for the next 20 minutes no answer!!! Don't turn this around on me that I didn't answer the phone !!! Then has the nerve to tell me well isn't this the first time this happened? I said yeah .. Well it's only once .. I said yeah once in just 2 wks!! Imagine if I let him do this til the year of the year?! This is the first and last Mrs. Wilson!!!

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 4

Posted October 25, 2013
I am sorry that some people have had a horrible experience at PS 3. I have really no complaints. My son is in the Talented and Gifted program and ALL of his teacher were wonderful!!!! My other son has had some issues with his teachers but nothing major. I am happy with the school and I don't understand if you have such issues with a school why would you let your child continue to go there? Maybe some of the problem was you?

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 1

Posted October 25, 2013
Just to be clear - I DID NOT LET MY CHILD STAY IN PS3, and NO THE PROBLEM WAS NOT ME AND ALL THE OTHER PARENTS WHO HAVE POSTED BAD REVIEWS HERE! Hooray for your child, Im glad he is having a good experience!

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School 1

Posted February 10, 2013
THIS SCHOOL IS FAILING MY CHILDREN! My children have been going to P.S. 3 since kindergarten. They have had a wonderful experience until they entered 5th grade. The 5th grade math teacher should not be allowed around children. All she does is hop around the class, yelling at the children, getting in their faces and telling them they are all going to fail or they are all going to cry when they get their tests back. What kind of teacher does this? Maybe if she taught correctly the failures would not happen. Parents have complained to the principal and assistant principal and they do nothing at all. They tell us she is a good teacher, her grades on the state test are good. I don't think they will be this year. This school, their teachers and principal should get a big old F. PLEASE DON'T SEND YOUR KIDS TO THIS SCHOOL!!!!

Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School
80 South Goff Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10309
Last modified Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 3 The Margaret Gioiosa School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top