Staten Island, NY

Posted September 09, 2014
I am so glad I decided to send my children to IS51. My oldest daughter begged me to take her to the open house 3 years ago and I was so impressed! Mr Mele has turned this school around. My daughter is now an 8th grader there and my youngest just entered 6th grade. The staff is fantastic. The assistant principals go above and beyond to know every student in their academy. I encourage all parents of incoming 6th graders to give this school a try! Dont go by a number..... It should be rated much higher than a four!

Posted April 28, 2014
I love the staff at IS 51. Everyone including school safety, parent coordinator, School Assessment Team, principal, deans, teachers, paras, and PTA is always available, and willing to do their part in helping the students and school succeed. My son is very excited about the work he does in digital art. They have great academies that hold student interests and expectations of attendance and academics is a top priority. Keep up the good work.

Posted December 06, 2013
so glad to see this school was brought up to a "B" on the nyc progress reports..I've never seen a more dedicated principal and staff, offering a multitude of programs for these children! I'm so glad I decided to send my child here..she loves it!

Posted October 24, 2013
Mr.Mele is involved in basically every aspect of the school. He is passionate about preparing the children for high school as evidenced by the change in academies and the addition of enrichment classes. The teachers are motivating and knowledgeable. My husband and I are confident that we have chosen the right middle school for our children.

Posted October 06, 2013
love school time ever school is amzing such as all the teacher like 6 grade art teacher and science teacher erin olsen

Posted September 02, 2013
I am willing to send my children to this zoned school. I heard and saw Mr Mele ( very approachable and motivated to have a great school) and admin deals well keeping the school safe. The admin is direct unlike typical admins from other schools. He brought in excellent academies, enrichment and programs. Due to this I am willing to send my honors children here. I hope with the new zoning the kids who are not zoned for this school that live in the projects or that side of the harbor and port Richmond should not get in this school. The students who like to come in late and make trouble home addresses should be verified and turned away have police check the residency if they are trying to get into a school they dont belong in, make this school more academic and more safe. Can have admin teachthe D students who misbehave in a inhouse classroom or recommend online academics for the students who only want to raise hell and not study. I hope if they deserve to be suspended and break regulations they are and thrown out not kept around thats key There are more good studentsand family who go here to learn.

Posted May 17, 2013
I am updating another comment on this shool. My son is safe in this school. The park is excellent too. It is safe alng with the school it self. Some people beg to differ. They say "what about the mexicans? What could happen to our children?" Mr. Mele is handeling it. And, there after schools.

Is 51 Edwin Markham 2

Posted April 14, 2013
This school is certainly is a tough one to bare, the students are mostly made up of no more than lowlife D average students who always focus on their "swag" rather than academics, they can often be distracting and trouble making. Teachers affect the school too, but in mostly good ways, after the evil DOE giving out the newly introduced Common Core State tests, they started to really work hard to get me into highschool, (I'm currently an 8th grader)the only problem with the teachers is that other students can often give a bad impression and the teachers might treat you like those bad impressions, but with hard work, and attention, you can accomplish pre-graduation. The way they teach, however, should be more.....strict..... they barely give us homework, which can affect our memories and practice skills, I got about 1 or 2 homeworks a day, or no homework assignments at all. They don't try hard enough when not in the vicinity of the "big test", mostly because of the often dissapointing students reflecting an impression (keep in mind even with many test fails, missing work, absense, etc. they still managed to pass, what?!). The Schedules need work, as well, but I don't have space left.

Posted February 07, 2013
I have worked at this school for 12 years. Mr. Mele has truly turned this school around. I hope anyone who is zoned for this school will come to one of the many walk throughs to see all the changes. We are all working very hard to ensure that every child (general ed, special ed, ICT, SETSS, etc.) receives the best educational experience!!!

Posted October 09, 2012
I am a student at I.S.51 and the new principal is really making a difference. I've been here for three years and the first year was not good. The principal was not involved at all. When she was going to retire it didn't make a difference. The new principal is very involved and their are just about no fights anymore. I do recommend this school.

Is 51 Edwin Markham
20 Houston Street, Staten Island, NY  10302
Last modified Is 51 Edwin Markham is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Is 51 Edwin Markham Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top