Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

So far I am not having a good start. My daughter hasn't even started there yet and I have been talked down to. I have had some issues with her schedule. She is very creative and was dying to get into the creative design academy. When we found she didn't get in, and in fact they put her in media tech which she has no interest in whatsoever, she was disappointed to say the least. So, I decide to go up and try to get her in creative design.. which I feel if she is in a academy she loves it will engaged her in her academic studies. She has had a terrible time with common core and now has an IEP. So I go in to see what could be done. After some discussion, the secretary approaches me to say "ya know a women was in her with her disabled child who wishes she can go to school." Now.... As I wish all the children in the world were not sick... and I wish no parent to go through any of that, it breaks my heart... and I know so many other children are worse off... with that being said, should I not care about my healthy child? SHOULD I NOT TRY TO EASE HER YEAR WITH GIVING HER A POSITIVE BECAUSE SHE STRUGGLES SO???? Also, So inappropriate to say in front of my other 8 year old daughter. I was taken back by it. However, I said nothing and continued to place my daughter in a academy she was very interested in. Mr. Mele was very matter of fact... no super wonderful impression, although he got the job done, he couldn't have been anymore unsympathetic or bored. So this brings us to today. Since her classes were changed we have no schedule. So my daughter asked me if I can get her her schedule. Upon doing so I got a very annoyed women on the phone with a nasty reply "we are very busy here, your daughter will have to wait until the first day of school" and she hung up. Now as I know the thousands of calls they most likely get before the big day... I feel things like this should be dealt with professionalism because that is your job. If you cannot deal with the public don't choose a field that forces you to do so. I just pray for my daughter sake that this isn't a sign of more to come. As for me... I plan to stay far away of the uncaring staff. Also planning a back up plan of transfer. I am praying that the actual education and my daughter experience doesn't mirror the very pompous office staff.

I am so glad I decided to send my children to IS51. My oldest daughter begged me to take her to the open house 3 years ago and I was so impressed! Mr Mele has turned this school around. My daughter is now an 8th grader there and my youngest just entered 6th grade. The staff is fantastic. The assistant principals go above and beyond to know every student in their academy. I encourage all parents of incoming 6th graders to give this school a try! Dont go by a number..... It should be rated much higher than a four!

I love the staff at IS 51. Everyone including school safety, parent coordinator, School Assessment Team, principal, deans, teachers, paras, and PTA is always available, and willing to do their part in helping the students and school succeed. My son is very excited about the work he does in digital art. They have great academies that hold student interests and expectations of attendance and academics is a top priority. Keep up the good work.

this school is a very good school and i like learning more stuff and being creative .my school should stop fighting and bulling each other

so glad to see this school was brought up to a "B" on the nyc progress reports..I've never seen a more dedicated principal and staff, offering a multitude of programs for these children! I'm so glad I decided to send my child here..she loves it!

Mr.Mele is involved in basically every aspect of the school. He is passionate about preparing the children for high school as evidenced by the change in academies and the addition of enrichment classes. The teachers are motivating and knowledgeable. My husband and I are confident that we have chosen the right middle school for our children.

love school time ever school is amzing such as all the teacher like 6 grade art teacher and science teacher erin olsen

I went to this school befor i am going into the 8th grade i want to stwitch my school because i got bullied alot and i wasnt a trouble maker i didnt have a big mouth i was the quiet student that did my work i was just a target and i dont want to go back to this school ever again i dont even want to look at it

I am willing to send my children to this zoned school. I heard and saw Mr Mele ( very approachable and motivated to have a great school) and admin deals well keeping the school safe. The admin is direct unlike typical admins from other schools. He brought in excellent academies, enrichment and programs. Due to this I am willing to send my honors children here. I hope with the new zoning the kids who are not zoned for this school that live in the projects or that side of the harbor and port Richmond should not get in this school. The students who like to come in late and make trouble home addresses should be verified and turned away have police check the residency if they are trying to get into a school they dont belong in, make this school more academic and more safe. Can have admin teachthe D students who misbehave in a inhouse classroom or recommend online academics for the students who only want to raise hell and not study. I hope if they deserve to be suspended and break regulations they are and thrown out not kept around thats key There are more good studentsand family who go here to learn.

I am updating another comment on this shool. My son is safe in this school. The park is excellent too. It is safe alng with the school it self. Some people beg to differ. They say "what about the mexicans? What could happen to our children?" Mr. Mele is handeling it. And, there after schools.

Last modified Is 51 Edwin Markham is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.