Ps 19 The Curtis School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 626 students

Posted February 21, 2013

Teachers grade students based on favoritism, there have been many incidents where the teacher verbally abused the children, I have raised my concerned to the principal, her answer was that the teacher has lost a relative recently, .. shouln't the teacher then had have taken some time off for her grieving, instead of letting it out in our kids? there are couple teachers in the fourth and fifth grade this current year that should NOT BE TEACHERS! but the principal cover up for them, so that the school looks good...with the kids feeling scared of the teachers will only make their grades to suffer, I'm changing my son to another school next year.

Posted February 19, 2012

Education wise they are on the right track. But school safety is a joke. He was hit repeatedly by a boy in his class. when we told the teacher she said; take a number this boy hits all the kids. After a while another boy began to hit my son. I found out because my son was afraid to use the bathroom alone. He was terrified of the bathroom. My son is quiet, shy, and timid perfect for bullies. After a long time he said; mommy the 1st boy who hits me also touches me in the bathroom. I took him to the principal along with the teacher. I was dismissed and told we can't believe your child. There is no proof. What proof was she needing? They claim to have zero tolerance for bullies. But they cover bullies to avoid scandal. I have removed my son but still have a 3rd grader there. I pray that God helps me and in due time I can remove my older child. They only care about appearances. I am not mad at the child who did this to mines. I am upset at the teacher who after knowing my child was being hit, still sent him to the bathroom alone with this child. And the principal who covered it up and offered no apology. but I will continue to fight this because I still have a child there.

Posted November 13, 2011

This is a WONDERFUL school. I am a parent of 4 children, my eldest attended PS 19 since kindergarten and graduated 5th grade last year. She has always LOVED all of her teachers, which was a pleasant surprise to me. I currently have 3 children still in PS 19 which, again, do nothing but rave about their teachers. It is refreshing to be able to send your children to a place where they are thriving in their education being they are surrounded by dedicated, caring teachers. Kudos to Mrs. Petrone, the principal for keeping her staff up to the schools motto, striving for excellence. She expects nothing less and her staff truly delivers which equals very LUCKY children!!!

Posted November 30, 2010

I really like this school, I currently have 2 children there and the staff/teachers are incredible. The dedication that both Ms. Golden and Ms. Girard have given my children in commendable! Outstanding work! My Louis and My Alexis love going here and love their teachers!

Posted November 6, 2010

My school is the best because it gives every single kid good education its gives every kid something fun to do.My child is in the 5th grade and she loves it. This school gives everything a kid could have.Thats why I think this school is the best of all the schools in staten island I hope my favorite school and my daughters favorite school sees this message.

Posted November 4, 2010

I love p.s 19 the teachers and staff are great our school is nice and clean and beautiful very friendly environment

Posted November 4, 2010

My son graduated from this school after attending for 2 grades and did excellent. My daughter now attends this fabulous school this is her second year and the reason why i love ps 19 is my child is safe, receiving the best education and they push my child to do her best! Above all our principal,faculty and parent coordinator do there best to communicate with us parents about my child, upcoming events and make sure my child is on or above level learning :)

Posted October 23, 2010

Because i did go there when I was youger and now my son goes there.

Posted October 7, 2010

It is a great school,the teachers and staff always work together and make a positive expirence for parents and students.

Posted October 5, 2010

Great teachers, wonderful principal, a very clean school.

Posted October 5, 2010

We have great teachers. We have an aewsome parent coordinator & currently this school year 2010-2011 the best PTA. We have a Principal who really and truly cares about her students,teachers ,& parents.

Posted March 27, 2010

My son was only for one year, and I couldn't wait to transfer him from there, since what ever the parents noticed about this school is absolutely true. They are very unfair and try to cover up other kids cruelties, even teachers they not afraid to crash the kid's dreams. Principal I don even want to start this subject I think she is absolutely wrong person for this position, if kid is interfering with her plans only thing she wants is to transfer the kid doesn t' t care where. She is controlling and opinioned. I am very happy that our nightmare is over. TRY everything but don't bring your kid to this school. Both of you may suffer from the consequences.

Posted March 26, 2010

School was great until my daughter came on crying saying a student touched her where he shouldn't have and tried to put his hands in her pants.And the principle is saying it didn't happen and she had a terrible attitude during the meeting we had about it.And does not want to give a letter saying why I don't want my child in this school anymore.If you can help it DONOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO PS19.If you are concerned about safety.

Posted December 4, 2008

I transferred my son to PS 19 in 2nd grade , he is now in 4th and i have seen nothing but improvement in his grades since, The teachers are absolutely wonderful, and understanding. and have nothing but the utmost concern for my sons education and providing at home materials to work on. PS 19 is a very friendly environment and never makes you feel unwelcome, Security is wonderful and i feel completely safe while my son is in their care. And the SEM program for the kids has made my son look forward to going to school and doing well. Thank You PS 19.

Posted June 24, 2008

My daughter has been in this school since kindergarden, and has graduated. I've noticed this school centers mostly on the 'popular' kids. The awards are based on popularity, the pictures that are taken are based on popularity, and the yearbook was based on the 'popular' kids. If you have little ones, and don't have the time to give to the school, they leave you and your kids behind. The school does not award children based on merit, but how much their parents give to the school. The security is OK, and discipline is lax. Many students get away with hurting other students, and at times are actually awarded later on. Most of the money goes to the children in special education, but the hard working children fall between the cracks. I don't agree with the way the children are allowed to behave, as though they were gangsters or prima donnas.

Posted June 24, 2008

I have attended this school for six years and I all have seen is pretty much kissing -up. I LOVE THE WAY THE TEACHERS TEACH, but when the teachers are not there, it's STUDENTS GO WILD!! I had a very serious injury at one time, and the student responsible did not get any kind of punishment. Because of my injury, I could not participate in my student performance. It is not fair how certain kids get away with near murder, and yet if another kid did the same, they'd be suspended. Be a good parent, and don't send your kid here. Unless they're the stuck up conceited type, they won't get ahead in this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 24, 2008

The Principal is the first one in and the last one to leave. It appears that she wears many hats in her school. She is on her feet all day working hard all around the school

Posted October 18, 2007

This school is absolutely wonderful. The staff, I think is the absolute BEST! The Principal, Mrs. Petrone, continues to get the most wonderful programs for the students. My daughter has been attending PS 19 since Pre-K, and this year she will be graduating :-( She has had wonderful experiences in PS 19, whether it was the incredible after school programs, the wonderful trips she was able to go on, and without a doubt all of the staff at PS 19, who always had the childrens well being at heart. I have served on the PS 19 PTA since she was in Kindergarten, and I know we will both miss the school come next year! Deidre

Posted June 30, 2007

The school is strongest in math. They have a good math tutor who makes herself very accessible to parents and offers games to play at home to bolster math skills at each grade level. They have music programs, but only for upper grades. They integrate dance movement into the fitness curriculum. The principal is good at attracting funding forextracurricular programs and there are several. The teachers are responsive and enthusiastic. The tone of general administrative communication with parents can sometimes be unnecessarily menacing however. The general administrative notes home to parents take a punitive tone. When I compared them to similar notes for my peer parents at other schools, the general info was the same, but the threatening tone was absent. I wish they would correct this. It's the one consistently negative experience I've had with the school.

Posted August 11, 2005

My Daughter and I moved from Port Richmond and she went to P.S. 20 from pre-K Through 1St grade. Once we moved she was alittle nervous about leaving her friends behind and wondering if what awaited her,She is now going to 3rd Grade (9/05) and I have to thank the teachers and The principal for making it so easy for her to feel comfortable and welcome. MS. Petrone whom is the principal is absloutely WONDERFUL! She has the children's well being at heart and has a great curriclium for the school. The teachers work with the children to have them excel and the patience to allow them to do their best and I am so happy I picked the right area to live and the perfect school for my little girl. $ stars P.S. 19! The PTA is absolutely wonderful congradulations on a great job. Sincerely Roxanne A.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 72%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 345 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.3

8.0

8.6

8.4

7.9

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.9

8.8

8.5

7.1

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.4

7.1

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

Teachers2766%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. MARY PETRONE

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now