Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted December 06, 2015
children injure each other constantly, and they are told they haven't done anything wrong. Children are not taught to respect each other and there are no boundaries.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted December 06, 2015
Children get away with everything but murder here. Kids run wild, there is no discipline, and children are not taught to respect each other. Racism runs rampant and ironically, the victims are native English speaking American citizens.

Ps 19 The Curtis School 1

Posted December 06, 2015
I have had two children graduate from this school, and while circumstances were not ideal while they were there, things have steadily gotten worse. My youngest son started in the dual language program and the first year everything was fine. Then things began to change. Native English-speaking parents began pulling their children out because of the clear favoritism shown to the Spanish-speaking children. The same children also bullied my son, pushing him down the stairs, throwing him into lunch tables, tripping him and making fun of the fact that he is an American citizen and a native English speaker. Nothing was done. The staff there actually had the nerve to blame my son saying he doesn't know how to get along with the other children, and recently I was actually told by one of the new vice principal's that school is a contact sport. My son spent three years in the dual language program and with my son finally being the only native English speaker left in that class, I pulled him out. Things are better now that he is not with such a large group of racist children, but they are far from perfect. If I had any where else to put my son he would be out of there faster than you could blink. I just hope that the time he has left goes quickly.

Ps 19 The Curtis School 2

Posted February 21, 2013
Teachers grade students based on favoritism, there have been many incidents where the teacher verbally abused the children, I have raised my concerned to the principal, her answer was that the teacher has lost a relative recently, .. shouln't the teacher then had have taken some time off for her grieving, instead of letting it out in our kids? there are couple teachers in the fourth and fifth grade this current year that should NOT BE TEACHERS! but the principal cover up for them, so that the school looks good...with the kids feeling scared of the teachers will only make their grades to suffer, I'm changing my son to another school next year.

Ps 19 The Curtis School 2

Posted February 19, 2012
Education wise they are on the right track. But school safety is a joke. He was hit repeatedly by a boy in his class. when we told the teacher she said; take a number this boy hits all the kids. After a while another boy began to hit my son. I found out because my son was afraid to use the bathroom alone. He was terrified of the bathroom. My son is quiet, shy, and timid perfect for bullies. After a long time he said; mommy the 1st boy who hits me also touches me in the bathroom. I took him to the principal along with the teacher. I was dismissed and told we can't believe your child. There is no proof. What proof was she needing? They claim to have zero tolerance for bullies. But they cover bullies to avoid scandal. I have removed my son but still have a 3rd grader there. I pray that God helps me and in due time I can remove my older child. They only care about appearances. I am not mad at the child who did this to mines. I am upset at the teacher who after knowing my child was being hit, still sent him to the bathroom alone with this child. And the principal who covered it up and offered no apology. but I will continue to fight this because I still have a child there.

Posted November 13, 2011
This is a WONDERFUL school. I am a parent of 4 children, my eldest attended PS 19 since kindergarten and graduated 5th grade last year. She has always LOVED all of her teachers, which was a pleasant surprise to me. I currently have 3 children still in PS 19 which, again, do nothing but rave about their teachers. It is refreshing to be able to send your children to a place where they are thriving in their education being they are surrounded by dedicated, caring teachers. Kudos to Mrs. Petrone, the principal for keeping her staff up to the schools motto, striving for excellence. She expects nothing less and her staff truly delivers which equals very LUCKY children!!!

Posted November 30, 2010
I really like this school, I currently have 2 children there and the staff/teachers are incredible. The dedication that both Ms. Golden and Ms. Girard have given my children in commendable! Outstanding work! My Louis and My Alexis love going here and love their teachers!

Posted November 06, 2010
My school is the best because it gives every single kid good education its gives every kid something fun to do.My child is in the 5th grade and she loves it. This school gives everything a kid could have.Thats why I think this school is the best of all the schools in staten island I hope my favorite school and my daughters favorite school sees this message.

Posted November 04, 2010
I love p.s 19 the teachers and staff are great our school is nice and clean and beautiful very friendly environment

Posted November 04, 2010
My son graduated from this school after attending for 2 grades and did excellent. My daughter now attends this fabulous school this is her second year and the reason why i love ps 19 is my child is safe, receiving the best education and they push my child to do her best! Above all our principal,faculty and parent coordinator do there best to communicate with us parents about my child, upcoming events and make sure my child is on or above level learning :)

780 Post Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10310
Last modified Ps 19 The Curtis School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 19 The Curtis School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top