Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

I really laughed out loud reading this question. My son has been bullied from kindergarten to fifth grade and never has anything been done about it. The school is now under new leadership, and it has already been made obvious to me that the new principal has no intention of dealing with bullying either.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

My son happens to be on the other end of the spectrum, when he learns faster than other children. He has received no support in that regard.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The new principal rather than punish children for bad behavior, decides to punish the good children for reporting the bad behavior.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

There is absolutely no respect in this school. Children push each other down with no consequences and I just really do not recommend the school at all

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My son's current teacher insists that the class is a team, so if one person does something wrong, everybody has to be punished for it.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Too often my son has been sent home with homework that the teacher has not yet taught to do in class. More often than not, he spends three hours doing homework that has no educational value and is just busywork.

Absolutely terrible. The good kids get punished for what the bad kids do. The bad kids don't get punished at all. For example, for the second time, a particular child pushed my son down and ripped his pants. This happened during a soccer game, but all of the kids say this kid trips kids regardless. What's the principal solution? Nobody's allowed to play soccer. Punish the good kids instead of the bad kids. Don't correct this child's behavior. Now the good kids know if they speak out, they will be punished. I'm completely disgusted by this school.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Children get away with everything but murder here. Kids run wild, there is no discipline, and children are not taught to respect each other. Racism runs rampant and ironically, the victims are native English speaking American citizens.

I have had two children graduate from this school, and while circumstances were not ideal while they were there, things have steadily gotten worse. My youngest son started in the dual language program and the first year everything was fine. Then things began to change. Native English-speaking parents began pulling their children out because of the clear favoritism shown to the Spanish-speaking children. The same children also bullied my son, pushing him down the stairs, throwing him into lunch tables, tripping him and making fun of the fact that he is an American citizen and a native English speaker. Nothing was done. The staff there actually had the nerve to blame my son saying he doesn't know how to get along with the other children, and recently I was actually told by one of the new vice principal's that school is a contact sport. My son spent three years in the dual language program and with my son finally being the only native English speaker left in that class, I pulled him out. Things are better now that he is not with such a large group of racist children, but they are far from perfect. If I had any where else to put my son he would be out of there faster than you could blink. I just hope that the time he has left goes quickly.

Teachers grade students based on favoritism, there have been many incidents where the teacher verbally abused the children, I have raised my concerned to the principal, her answer was that the teacher has lost a relative recently, .. shouln't the teacher then had have taken some time off for her grieving, instead of letting it out in our kids? there are couple teachers in the fourth and fifth grade this current year that should NOT BE TEACHERS! but the principal cover up for them, so that the school looks good...with the kids feeling scared of the teachers will only make their grades to suffer, I'm changing my son to another school next year.

Last modified Ps 19 The Curtis School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.