Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted March 15, 2016
My daughter started pre k in PS 52 and the school has surpassed all of our expectations. My daughter is excited to go to school every day and the teachers genuinely care. I would recommend to anyone!

Ps 52 John C Thompson
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 15, 2016
I would like to thank Ms. Morrone and Mrs. OUR for making my daughters transition into school a fun, pleasant and exciting one.

Ps 52 John C Thompson 4

Posted September 08, 2014
I still have a 5th grader at this school. My oldest just graduated and boy oh boy went into a terrible school. I so so now realize even more how wonderful P.S. 52 is. Since Mrs McCord took over as Principle the school is awesomely better....thank u Mrs. McCord !! As an administrator myself I realize that we can do just so much, especially with the DOE , bad teachers have to sometimes stay and the Principal cannot help that, it's all politics. In 5 years my son had 1 terrible teacher, glad she's gone. My younger son has had all wonderful teachers who truly care. Yes I have been disappointed in the school, but I am fully aware again that the DOE makes the administration do things they know is wrong. Putting all that aside, the school really cares about their students and they show it. I have no regrets selling my home to move so they could go to this school. Wonderful !! Parents u have to be smart and fight for ur children's rights. I feel secure knowing my child is in their hands.

Ps 52 John C Thompson 2

Posted September 23, 2013
The school seems to have a pretty decent student and parent body, but the management is definitely not up to par. We were very excited to be in this school at first, but over the course of the year my daughter's favorite word when described the school was "boooring" - in reference to both her class and latchkey program. In my opinion the program was not challenging at all, although the daytime teachers were nice, but the latchkey after school experience was the worst. As a result, we took our daughter out of this school into a private school. What a difference it was and totally worth every penny.

Ps 52 John C Thompson 1

Posted June 17, 2013
Teacher quality is low. The teachers do not put in enough effort to ensure students are learning the material. I have heard the excuse, several times, that there are too many students in class that they do not have the time to ensure students are completing classroom assignments, etc.; thus learning the material.

Ps 52 John C Thompson 1

Posted June 27, 2012
My son just finished his third grade here. No challenging home work, if there is any. The teacher never cared to check student's work. The principal is a nice woman, however unable to organize strong curriculum and discipline for this school.

Ps 52 John C Thompson 4

Posted June 22, 2012
I am a parent of two kids attending PS52, kindrgarten and 5th grade. While kindergarten teacher is great and tought my child a lot throughout this year, 5th grade desires to be better - kids dont get any homework since end of april after state exams, bored and not involved. Levels of Math in 5th grade are not what we are looking for. Principal Ms.McCord and assistant principal Ms.Moncado are very good and know all kids by names - very involved. My kids love the school. though I would make some improvements - cleanliness of the bathrooms, latch-key area, AC in the auditorium, but overall very satisfied with the school and my kids achievments there.

Posted May 23, 2012
I am a former parent there and was on the PTA. With the new Principal, Jane McCord, the school continues to be a gem in the neighborhood. The teachers are very good, there are a lot of activities and you can really get a solid education. We miss PS 52 - both my kids are in middle school now. Don't let the NYC progress report fool you. This is a "B" school making it's way to an "A". Those reports don't mean a thing.

Posted May 22, 2012
I am a former student of P.S. 52. I remember all the wonderful teachers and always feeling safe and secure. This school is so advanced that after I graduated I opened my 6th grade textbooks and already knew everything in them. Thank you all at 52 for everything you taught me. You have left a lasting impression on me and my family.

Posted November 11, 2010
P.S.52 is a wonderful school and deserves to be recognized for its dedication to professionalism and care. Everyone is always Smiling and willing to lend a hand or ear. My boys and I Love this School!

Ps 52 John C Thompson
450 Buel Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10305
Last modified Ps 52 John C Thompson is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.