Posted June 10, 2014
I am extremely disappointed with this school on a scale of 1-10 I would have to give it a 1 and thats being generous. It has changed drastically within the past three years, if the DOE doesn't revamp the school soon I see it being rated as one of the worst school's in NYC. The principal and the assistant principal have no leadership skills. There are many teachers in that school who speak to children very negatively and make indirect threats. I am very sad this last year my child will attend this school and its not ending in a good way. This is a time of excitement for the upcoming graduation and its more like a countdown to when we no longer have to deal with the black cloud known as PS 54.

Posted August 18, 2013
Athough there are attempts for make better changes, on a good day, all admin are barely acceptable and half the teachers in each grade are ok at best. There are 1 or 2 quality teachers in each grade. Way too much tolerance for teachers yelling and in the wrong profession. School needs new teachers who will try harder and stop complaining, get to work on time, teach the core. without always yelling at the kids. Out with the old in with the new and the school will be hoppin again. Need a much better music teacher and program. Very diverse a bit too diverse filling up Kumon to one up the others.PTA weighs in with their say a bit too much and get too much. SLT needs more of a say. Immigrants from about 6 different countries are coming to the year in droves year after year barely speaking english. Admin could be better at addressing issues need better staffing and programs. Admin does try though, lets have a good 2013-2014. Submitted by a parent

Posted August 18, 2013
School needs higher standards. There are changes being made. Hopefully one is after school tutoring and all children get a chance at the cool jobs in the school not just the PTA children or vocal parents , nor just the head strong kids, nor just the blue collar service children. Maybe my children will get a run at a good job or grades this year because he made the grade and earned it. My childs teacher should not have been allowed to return to the classroom she yells not instructs.All Admin try but can do better at being reasonable, truthful and direct. Hopefully this year there admin will follow through on a issuse that needs to be addressed. Needs stronger staff not just loud harsh ones. If after school tutoring was offered I would feel better about the school and my son not getting lost and overlooked.

Posted August 14, 2013
I agree with you about the change in priorities. The old Principal, Mrs. Castley really cared about the children.

Posted August 13, 2013
This school used to be one of the best. My kids have been in this school since K. This year they were 3rd and 4th graders. Basically, they taught they kids how to take the state wide test rather than teaching basic language and math skills. If something was not on the test it wasn't taught. As a result my kids are no longer going to this school. The teachers also teach the same thing every year, it never changes.

Posted April 16, 2013
Exactly my point! The kids who get clarity at home succeed. But what about the kids who don't? All I'm saying is that its great if your kids are doing well. They are obviously getting support at home. However, leadership should not depend on all parents being as supportive as you are. We cant let some kids fall through the cracks. I think the principal does not have her act together. She is unprofessional. I just don't see her as a leader. Its a good thing she has parents like you to carry her.

Ps 54 Charles W Leng 4

Posted April 15, 2013
Good school, good leadership turning the school around in positive ways. Leadership is carrying the standards of the DOE. High standards academically and safety. The core learning continues, Lots of enrichment and differentiation.as the DOE expects.. NYDOE expects some teachers in all schools to be on a learning curve teaching a new core curriculum which is the new state test. The best solution to ensure student success is to have good clarity, good education, good behavioral practices at home and your child will find their way no matter what. Provide them with help at home or on your time after school. This school has a lot to offer and we all try our best. Each year the neighborhood is more and more diverse making a sense of community difficult. Some Families need to learn the language to help their children succeed.The school is better place this year and has been brought up from the fall 3 years ago from the last administration.

Ps 54 Charles W Leng 4

Posted April 12, 2013
very good programs, family events. Leadership added high standards and enrichment. Leadership addresses concerns. My children do well. I agree with other poster education and values begin at home. I prefer to spend time teaching my children good study habits, how to behave and help them with their studies. Curriculum has changed in public and catholic schools listen to the information communicated at school its not just test prep its a new curriculum as suggested by the State. Schools leadership is good, respectful, positive and better and better. Schools are not clinics nor clinicians. My children like it here and have good grades.

Ps 54 Charles W Leng 3

Posted March 18, 2013
Judy Barbarino is another who works with us. So overall,the staff is great! the parents all seem very nice,and the children that my daughter became friends with are great. The school seems to have some great trips,and some great programs,but not enough unfortunately. I know that is due to lack of finances though,so it isn't the schools fault.I also wish that the school taught spanish from kindergarten through the fifth grade.My major concern though,is that the staff don't talk enough to each other about what is going on,so one doesn't know what the other just said on certain specific issues.That is the main thing that they need to work on,so that way if a child needs help in any way,they can all try and work together with the parent,and all know what each other is doing in that instance. Besides that,my daughter is very happy her and loves the school.Just also wish that they had after school tutoring every day,or some kind of independent reading after school at the school library.

Ps 54 Charles W Leng 5

Posted March 13, 2013
For the parent with the lice complaint and negative comments, we all heard about the crazy lice lady. We believe you were told by the Department of Health that the school has followed every protocol correctly. As for the bashing of the school and administration...really sad. The principal is trying her best. The AP was absent due to major surgery. Hope you get more sympathy if you need surgery one day. Hey, why were you not at any of the PTA meetings on the new standards or ways to volunteer. Well, farewell... and I do believe lice can find their way to catholic schools at time. Good Luck. One step closer to building a better community without negative, mean members. Oh, and their new test prep books are awesome..guess you miss seeing them. Feeling itchy?

Ps 54 Charles W Leng
1060 Willowbrook Rd, Staten Island, NY  10314
Last modified Ps 54 Charles W Leng is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 54 Charles W Leng Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews.