Staten Island, NY

Posted October 03, 2014
My child has been attending the school for the past two years. Great school. She is doing well academically.

Posted April 02, 2014
My daughter has been in ps56 for 3 yrs now. I absolutely am so satisfied with this school the principal staff security are awesome and very friendly, if I ever had an issue it was resolved within that same day. They do not tollerate bullying and I love the fact that when I drop my daughter off in the morning the lady that's in the front of the gate knows my daughter and every single child names that walks in the school yard! It was such a great secure feeling for me that the staff at ps 56 treats my daughter and every other child like their own. Took all my anxiety away I am now sending my 4 yr old to ps 56.

Posted May 24, 2013
I really do like this school, sp much that I dont want to move out of their zone. Mr. Scali is great, dont know much about Mrs.Derose though. I have truly liked each of the teachers my child had for the last 3 years. I will say that having worked at several PTA functions I have been exposed to other teachers, gym teacher is nuts!! She is rough and constantly yelling (witnessed this with kindergartners), her field day isnt fun because the kids cant be enthusiastic at all. Also Mrs. DellaSanti terrible, all she does is yell, I witnessed her berating a 5 year old child for talking as every other child was doing the same. The whole time she yelled and yelled, if you cant handle kindergartners maybe you should be in the upper grades. Overall I really love the school

Ps 56 The Louis Desario School 2

Posted November 14, 2011
There is nothing special about this school. It's in a nice neighborhood and that's about it. I have two children there, one in kindergarten and the other in 3rd grade. There are no options for working parents as far as after school programs, getting on the waiting list for OST is nearly impossible as they never answer the phone nor do they return messages. There is also no Eagle program for advanced students. Every week they send home letters asking for money or supplies or both. It's frustrating as a single parent trying to give my children the best and having no support. I agree with the other parents that felt their office staff is rude, they are. They have absolutely no compassion. My son's teacher called me at work because he wasn't working fast enough! He's in his second month of kindergarten! They have dances with no snack or drinks (where did the $5 per child go?). This school made me regret moving here and has made life harder both financially and emotionally.

Posted June 15, 2011
I agree also that the children of the PTA moms do get special treatment.One time at the book sale,I saw that kids whose mothers were on the PTA had the most popular books put aside for them so that they were sure to get them.And,at the plant sale,the PTA moms put the best flowers and plants aside for themselves.And it also amazes me how it is always a PTA moms kid that wins the awards.The Principal is very caring,the assistant principal I barely notice,the office secretaries are nosey and rude,and the Parent/Teacher Coordinator thinks she runs the school.Most of the teachers are good but,some could be better.The school is mostly kept clean except for the bathrooms,my kids have told me that they are filthy and they will not use them.Overall it's an okay school but,nothing to brag about.

Posted June 14, 2011
I am disappointed in this school even though my children are doing well. There is no paid latchkey program here and to get into the UAU FREE program with only 120 seats is almost next to impossible. There is no support for working mothers. I have yet to get my child in Girl Scouts at the school for 3 yrs now. Every year I call and am told she is next on the list. The doors do not open till 8, there are no options before that. I have been up at the school several times this years and the children are loud, rude and running around. The teachers don't tell them not to behave that way and neither do the parents. I went up for a breakfast with students and parents in which kids were freely running all over and it was acceptable. The faculty is afraid of parents and the squeaky wheel gets the grease here. I'm not happy and looking into other schools for September as I want my children in a more controlled environment and where the favorite PTA moms children always get the best of everything and the working moms children get the shaft.

Posted December 23, 2010
I transferred my children here from PS 3 because I found that 3 was not academically rigorous. I am extremely impressed by the teachers at PS 56. My children are engaged and are being challenged on a daily basis, which leads to their academic growth. Mrs. DeRose stands out as a wonderful and caring assistant principal and there is a strong PTA. The school is also kept very clean. I highly recommend this school.

Posted November 06, 2010
my grandson goes there and he is learning so much,the teachers r wonderful and the school is kept so clean. he loves to go, does not give a problem. so they must be something right

Posted November 05, 2010
The staff is very involved and considerate of the children.

Posted November 03, 2010
P.S56 is my favorite elementry school. My son graduated with great grades and I have to thank the wonderful teachers he had. My daughter is a 4th grader and is doing well. All the para's are helpful, and the PTA try their hardest to raise money for the school. Thank you P.S56 and Mr. Scali for wonderful memories!

Ps 56 The Louis Desario School
250 Kramer Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10309
Last modified Ps 56 The Louis Desario School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 56 The Louis Desario School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top