Staten Island, NY

Academy of St. Dorothy 1

Posted November 01, 2014
Please do not enroll your child here if you worry about bullying and unfair treatment. We are taking our son out because of that and should have done it long time ago. Unfortunately, parents are the source of bullying because they form gangs and bully each other, and kids have the model in place. Yes, parents are very involved, unfortunately for all wrong reasons. The principal is another great source of this problem. She is very arrogant, not fair, and favors parents that donate to the school. Yes, if you have $$$ to donate your child will probably have no problems in this school. Take your child somewhere else, anywhere!!

Academy of St. Dorothy 1

Posted October 30, 2013
Our daughter was enrolled in this school in the fall 2013 and we had to pull her out just two weeks after the school year started because we experienced discrimination. I'm not sure if it was because we were one of the few Hispanic families in the school or because we may have not been in the same tax bracket as the others. The principle did not even attempt to have a sit down with us to discuss the events that transpired throughout the two weeks our daughter attended. We were extremely disappointed that in this day in age there are still those whom feel they are above others just because they may have a different background or are in a different tax bracket.

Posted January 27, 2011
Academy of St. Dorothy is a top notch school that provides a community to both students and parents. I have been a parent in this school for 10 years and I must say that the children are REALLY prepared for High School. It's amazing the reaction you get from educators from other schools when they hear that the student is a graduate of Academy of Sty. Dorothy. They immeditely know that the student is well rounded and very skilled. If you are looking for a GREAT education as well as a safe healthy spiritual environment for your children, look no further.

Posted June 21, 2010
My suggestion to all parents is all though these school reviews are helpful, you should schedule an appointment and view the school for yourself. My personal experience with ASD is if you are interested in your child receiving a superior well-rounded education, enhancing their spiritual growth, nurturing the competitive side through a plethora of sporting activities and having an extended family consisting of 392 fellow students and their families, then this school is for you. The principle is a very dedicated educator and her facility; follow by her example. Your child s mind will be challenged to perform at its full potential. Sometimes that will need the assistance of the parents with their homework and studies. Therefore, if your educational philosophy is that learning should only take place in the actual educational institution, this school is not for you.

Posted February 24, 2010
the school is great, my child loves the school we see his progress every day his teacher mr's hepwoth is the best

Posted September 14, 2009
To the parent that said put your kids in Hill. I say maybe you should read their reviews first! It is funny that anyone who has ASD ends up in Public schools which leads me to believe that Catholic school was not the right place for their children

Posted June 23, 2009

Academy of St. Dorothy 3

Posted March 14, 2009
ASD provides a safe, secure, friendly school environment. The Principal is actively involved in the school and knows each child and family. It can be a good choice for some, especially in the early grades. However, the teachers, with the exception of a few, are very average. They give too much homework, and too little help to struggling students. If your child is doing poorly, it is because they 'do not try hard enough'. They never look to their methods of teaching. They don't acknowledge learning differences.

Posted March 09, 2009
Both of my children graduated from ASD and they both received a wonderful education. They did terrific in high school, both in scholars programs. I found the work challenging, the teachers, for the most part, were very good, and the principal very hands on. I think it is a great bargain, tuition wise, compared to other private schools. I would not hesitate to recommend this school to anyone who wants a family atmosphere as there are many extra treats for the children such as Halloween fairs, christmas fairs, special person day, etc, that brings school spirit. I feel you really get a bang for your buck.

Academy of St. Dorothy 0

Posted May 05, 2008
I think that the Academy of St. Dorothy has some of the best educators on Staten Island. My child has been to public school prior to St. Dorothy and there is no comparison. The teachers care for the students and surpass their job roles to help.

Academy of St. Dorothy
1305 Hylan Blvd, Staten Island, NY  10305
Last modified Academy of St. Dorothy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Academy of St. Dorothy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top