No rating

Our Lady Star of the Sea

Private | PK-8

Living in Staten Island

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $415,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted October 20, 2010

My nieces and nephews attend school and activities there.

Posted October 20, 2010

it's a family community with wonderful academic success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted October 20, 2010

this school is great! we love it here!!!!

Posted October 20, 2010

I love Our Lady Star of the Sea School, because if the wonderful and caring teachers who dedicate and devote their hearts and souls into our children. I also love the school because of the parents and the children that attend.

Posted October 19, 2010

because of the feeling of family and encouragement this school is my favorite

Posted October 19, 2010

cutting edge curriculum, caring and nurturing environment, catholic community

Posted October 19, 2010

It is a great school for both academics and morals. I went there and now my children attend. It is a very down to earth school where they treat each student like their own family.

Posted October 19, 2010

my kids are getting a wonderful education

Posted October 18, 2010

It has the best faculty and students anywhere
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 25, 2010

OLSS was one of my favorite schools of the 5 schools I attended throughout my elementary, junior, and high schools. I am now an honors student at my high school preparing to apply to many prestigious colleges include Georgetown, Princeton, Brown, and Columbia. My brother is even trying for Harvard and Yale! I believe that the few years that I attended OLSS really set the base of my education. This is where I was taught that our Catholic faith is extremely important, our education really does matter, and the balance of faith and setting high standards for yourself. As a young child, you don't realize it as well, but as I got older, I was so grateful to have had the opportunity to attended this FANTASTIC school.

Posted March 24, 2009

OLSS, compared to other private schools, are lacking in language, certain sports, hot lunch, website communication and much needed space. Rather than build a bigger CHURCH, OLSS should have expanded the size of the school so the kids wouldn't feel crushed like sardines in their classes. The catholic school my daughter now attends is far more advanced with their technology and teaching skills, offering at least 2 languages. They also offer sports which extend beyond soccer and basketball.

Posted February 28, 2009

school is good but needs a new pastor everyone else is nice

Posted January 4, 2009

My grandson transferred from a public school to OLSS. This is no comparison> What a wonderful change. My grandson loves his new school

Posted October 7, 2008

I am a parent at this school for over 8 years and I think this is the best school for my child. She really loves the school and only has less than 2 years left here. Every year each teacher is dedicated to teaching my child and every child. The administration is excellent also. The parents association has no choice but to raise money for our school since they need all the help they can get. This is a real family unit. I will miss it dearly and so will my daughter. Thank you OLSS. You're the best.

Posted September 25, 2008

I've been in the school for three years, the teachers are very hard on the kids, they do expect alot from them, so if you don't have the time to help your child with homework it will not work. The principal is nice and so in the assistant principal, the Monsignor however is not all that, the kids are only dollar signs. He does not look in the best interest of the children and it is really turning me to the point of leaving the school, my child does not want to loose her friends. We do not have language and no hot lunch. Also if the parents don't volunteer for lunch duty, kids have lunch in classroom, makes me sick. Had I known all this before, would not be here now.

Posted October 24, 2007

I have my three children in Our Lady Star of the Sea, and I could not be happier. I love the dedication of the teachers and the Principal. I feel my children are getting the best education I can pay for. I would very much reccommend this school to anyone. The only negative is that the Parents Association raises alot of money for the school and we hardly ever see any changes to the school for the kids as well as the teachers.

Posted October 18, 2007

OLSS is a great school =-) i couldn't be happier about it =-) Only thing is that teachers can be extremely tough with the kids.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 2, 2007

Our Lady Star of The Sea School not only met but exceeded my expectations in all areas of education. I have learned that there is a perfect balance between the education process, religous values and parent -teacher relationships. The compassionate staff starts with administration all the way down to maintenance. I would be remiss if I did not take the time to say thank you. My children are learning, thriving and growing both physically and emotionally within this school system. God Bless each and every staff member at OLSS for continuing to make our school the best!

Posted May 25, 2006

This school has very high standards. The children learn at a comfortable pace but they are expected to work hard. There is excellent discipline and with only 2 classes per grade a family type atmosphere.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 16, 2005

I have a daugther that has been in the school for two years now and I believe they are educating her well.

Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Irma P. Cummings
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5411 Amboy Rd