No rating

Moore Catholic High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Staten Island

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $370,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted March 20, 2014

Very nice school with a beautiful campus,and very helpful faculty.Everybody says the teenagers at Moore are respectful and caring.

Posted September 29, 2013

moore is really good. teachers are great, administration is great. beautiful campus and and wonderful athletic programs.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 7, 2012

This school is exceptional! What a wonderful staff that encourages its students to excel above and beyond their potentials. The students are treated with respect and are cared for in a manner you will not find anywhere else. The new principal is energetic with strong leadership and will take this school and its students to exceed beyond the stars. Many will remain in awe.

Posted October 4, 2011

I concur with the comment below and add that my 72 year old mother called Moore one day to ask that they please lower the volume of the speakers because it was terribly disturbing my father who has hydrocephalus and suffers from dementia. My mother was told by a coach to "Go f-ck herself!" I point out that there was an public incident investigated by the local press involving a football coach the last few years who was fired because he kept using profane lanuage against Moore students during a football game in front of their parents. Despite the fact that the parents were wittness to the incident themselves, the principal continued to deny it until his hand was forced. The school is run by violent, foul mouthed thugs. Not a place that sets a fine example to young minds. I strongly recommend against sending your children here. You'll be very sorry.

Posted October 4, 2011

The problem with the football field, or rather the football coaches, are symptomaptic of a general attitude embodied by his Royal Holiness Principal McManus. As can be checked using a web search, in the past two or so years McManus also tried to sneak through the building of a large radio tower on school property, for which he was offered a sizable sum of money, while preventing the local community to have a vote despite the fact that this is breaking the law. An added problem was that the radio tower was a potential health hazard to students and the local community. The ensuing media blitz brought McManus to a halt and put the tower to a community vote at the local board where it was flatly defeated. McManus does not have the interests of the school or local community in mind and it is a wonder that parents-- or the board of trustees-- allow this rogue to continue on as principal. Moore will not be a good school until there is regime change and McManus and all his coaches are removed.

Posted May 1, 2011

The Principal, Assistant Principal, Staff and Teachers make this school into a community which leaves the students with the desire to learn and go forward into life prepared as young adults. My children did very well here.

Posted October 25, 2010

This school is an excellent school. I am very happy with this school. The teachers are excellent & my child loves going to school every morning. All my children went to different Catholic High Schools on Staten Island & this one is by far the best. . Walking into Moore It feels like family. I am happy my child will have great years ahead of her in Moore Catholic & make friends that will last a lifetime.

Posted October 19, 2010

Moore Catholic High School was one of the best choices I have made in my lifetime. It truly prepares you academically as well as spiritually for everything that may come our way in the years to come. They have numerous programs and clubs that students can become involved in. I was part of the swim team, dance in performing arts, National Honors Society and I was apart of Teaching the Christian Message. Each and every club in Moore is designed around the students' needs and always benefits one another. They always took into consideration outside help as well. For example, we would have car washes to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis or a bake sale to raise money for Cancer Research. Once a year, we would ask each homeroom to collect goods to send to the troops overseas. The staff and teachers were beyond caring. Every teacher would go out of his or her way to help a student succeed. The staff was so kind and generous to everyone. Our principal, Mr. McManus and our vice principal, Mrs.Panfilo, were not only the authoritative individuals, but almost like our second family. They were down to earth and easy to talk to. They made sure Moore became our second home while attending it and even after graduation. I always know I can go back and receive a warm welcome! Moore Catholic has shaped me into the wonderful and mature young lady I am today. I now attend Palm Beach Atlantic University on a scholarship as a pre-pharmacy major. Without the backbone from Moore, I know I would not be were I am today. It was the best four years of my life!

Posted October 19, 2010

GET A GREAT EDUCATION AND HAVE A WONDERFUL HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE

Posted October 18, 2010

My oldest daughter just graduated in June 2010 and I have a sophomore in Moore this year....this school is one big family!

Posted October 18, 2010

Moore Catholic fully prepares a student to go out into the world of college, knowing that there will always be a place for them back home. The teachers and staff are wonderful and eager to help students at any costs. Particularly, the Performing Arts Institute is an amazing thing to be a part of. A student performer truly grows in these classes and it pays off in college. As a former student, and performer, I can say that my high school experience was some of the best years of my life due to my choice being Moore Catholic. I have such a strong sense of Maverick pride now that I have moved on to college. I truly never expected to be accepted into a performing arts program, but I currently attend Fairleigh Dickinson University as a Dramatic Theater Major, on a talent scholarship, all thanks to such teachers as Mr. Diaz and the rest of the PA staff.

Posted November 18, 2009

Great teachers! Great school!

Posted September 5, 2008

all my children have gone to moore and I truly cant thank the faculty and staff there for the most memorable and truly wonderful experience of 'our' lives .... my children miss it immensely!

Posted July 24, 2008

Both of our children attended moore catholic and both have exceeded in their acedemic studies. The teachers and faculty have gone above and beyond their responsibilities to show they genuinely care enough about the students to keep them well grounded. Outstanding! Go mavericks!

Posted February 24, 2008

Moore Catholic is a great stepping-stone for a young-teenager to mature into a young-adult. I know this because I've just graduated. If you want your child to get a solid, moral and academic education, send him or her to Moore. Furthermore, encourage them to become involved at every opportunity they can! Four years is just too short of a time.

Posted February 22, 2008

I have had a wonderful experience so far at this school with my child. I am very happy that we choose this school.

Posted January 23, 2008

This catholic school is like no other i know. It offers many extracurricular activities. I would highly recommend it.

Posted March 16, 2007

Moore is the perfect school if a student is interested in the Performing Arts Institute. It is a solid program with wonderful educators. I recomend it to any student who is interested in the arts and does not want to travel into NYC
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 24, 2006

This is a great catholic school. It is co-ed (like the real world!), they have a great sports department, it's the only catholic H.S. w/a performing arts program, they also have band and music, a full-time school R.N.,over a thousand students, yet a family atmosphere. I'm very pleased I enrolled my daughter here.

Posted November 19, 2005

The school focuses on sports and nothing more. And football is the only one really focused on. Second basketball and soccer tie. The rest nobody really pays any attention to. I only heard of a PTA at orientation Freshamn year when they asked for parents. After that nothing. I also never see any parents up there helping out at all.Safety is the only thing you will get with this school. Since anything done wrong is answered with a detention, if its some really bad indefinite detetion.

Asian 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Douglas Mcmanus
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

100 Merrill Avenue