Staten Island, NY

Posted August 11, 2015
Staten Island Academy is a place unlike any other. The Academy a "Family," of 330 people work together to educate the entire person. As a student who attended this amazing place for middle and upper school, I was left with a fuller sense of myself and the world at large. A veritable "United Nations," the academy helped me, a sheltered south shore Staten Islander, interact with a multiplicity of races, ethnicities, and religions. The academy is a vast mosaic of culture and there is a good socio-economic diversity. The miserable stereotype of "Rich," school, could not be further from the truth and maligns the conscious decisions made by middle class parents like mine to sacrifice for their children (they are not alone). The faculty and staff are dedicated on a level that could not be matched or found in any other island school, they get in early and leave late- 7pm. They are truly dedicated, and look to better every facet of the student. Most of all they teach students to be life-long learners, trail-blazers, and advocates for themselves. These non-tangible qualities have served me well in College and in the work-place. I have achieved the dean's list and numerous leadership positions at Lafayette College as freshman. I owe an unpayable debt to the faculty of Staten Island Academy. The academy's programs are also second to none. Integrating experience and technology into the classroom to help foster a broader understanding of material. We were never asked to memorize, but rather to synthesize. This ability to critically think has served me exceptionally in college and I believe, will continue to help in the demanding 21st century work-place. Staten Island Academy is the brick and mortar manifestation of educating the total person. The faculty, students, staff, and parents are united in a singular goal- Transforming the minds of young people to create a better world. There could be no nobler a deed. As countless books are being written about the failure of the American education system, Staten Island Academy stands as a small bastion of effective education. The Academy is a conscience investment in your child for a life-time. 2014's acceptances may not have been 90% Ivy league, they were 20% Ivy League, but the invaluable experience and life-long tools are immeasurable. I truly wish all children could attend SIA- Joseph Bronzo' 14

Staten Island Academy
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
LIbertas, Integritas, Decorum Those three words adorn the shirt of every student. The academy's primary goal is to foster honest students with good character.

Posted June 11, 2015
SIA completed surpassed my expectations and is an amazing school that fosters education in a nurturing environment. I was a bit nervous to send my 2&1/2 year old son (November Bday) to a full day of school 5 days a week. After only one week of separation anxiety and crying he adjusted beautifully and learned to enjoy it. My son is naturally introverted but has made great strides during his first year in school. He is excelling in both math and english and has a very broad vocabulary for a three year old. His teacher MIss Oxborough was incredible. She sent home daily report cards the first month and always emailed me with any minor issues (did not Ike school lunch today, etc). She even makes her own play-do because it is less toxic. There is such a strong sense of community within the school and it made our decision to relocate very difficult. I highly recommend the PK program to all parents truly worth every dollar!!

Staten Island Academy 3

Posted May 30, 2015
SIA says it has top class academics combined with a nurturing environment and top faculty. My experience at SIA seemed great at the time but once I saw how other academic institutions functioned, I realized that SIA really didn't prepare me for college at all. The community seems very welcoming and nurturing, but because of its small size and abundance of students from wealthy families, many students are not very accepting and are looked down upon by other students and this is hidden very well from the faculty and administration. The college process at SIA is very poor and the college advisor only knows of a small group of schools. If students want to attend other schools in programs that they are not familiar with, they have to do all the research themselves and have no one to give them advice. For the amount of money this school costs, this college process should be top of the line. Also, the arts at SIA are extremely poor and receive little to no school funding or support that is visible. The athletic department recruits students, however, the arts department is struggling just to have students join their theater productions. Its orchestra conductor is extremely dedicated and patient, but does not have the student talent to perform at a high level. Recent changes in the administration, specifically the appointment of a new headmaster, have brought changes to the school. This new head of school does not have the best interests of the school at heart and it is a shame that more people have not realized this.The best part about SIA are its teachers; they are amazing and outstanding and genuinely care about their students. Overall, SIA's faculty made my experience here great but if given the choice, I would have gone somewhere else for my high school education.

Posted September 28, 2014
SIA is in a class by itself. The campus is beautiful, safe and secure. The educators are great and engage the children. Due to the small class sizes, are able to give individualized attention when needed. Most importantly, the children have smiles on their faces and have a love and a quest for learning. With that being said, it is the best investment I have ever made.

Staten Island Academy 1

Posted September 14, 2014
The college acceptances for 2014 were not nearly as impressive as in previous years. At close to 30,000 a year in tuition this is unacceptable. In addition, the once nurturing environment is becoming stern and callous. Buyer beware. There's a new sheriff in town.

Posted March 06, 2014
A great school with a fantastic faculty and top notch facilities. We enrolled our child in the middle school last fall and we've been very pleased. The school is academically rigorous but has also been able to nurture our child's individual talents and abilities while effectively supporting areas of weekness.

Posted September 12, 2013
Amazing school. The teachers are awesome, the campus is beautiful and my daughter LOVES going to school. Every time I am there, the children all seem happy and also re very respectful. There is really not much more a parent can ask for when choosing a school for their child.

Posted August 31, 2013
Beautiful on the outside and beautiful inside! As a grandparent, I couldn't be happier for my little girl!

Posted August 25, 2013
When my child couldn't wait over the weekend when school starts, my spouse and I realized we had made the best choice for our offspring. Great school with resourceful and caring faculty and staff!

Staten Island Academy
715 Todt Hill Rd, Staten Island, NY  10304
Last modified Staten Island Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Staten Island Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top