Staten Island, NY

Posted October 07, 2014
St John's is a small school that has been a perfect fit for our son. The principle has young school age children of her own, we sense that our child is her child, she knows everyone by name. Our son looks forward to the school dances which have been planned by the Assistant Principle Mrs. Aber whose own son graduated recently from this school. In the Fall 2014 the School enrolled in SMART tuition an automated billing system/company which takes away some stress of meeting the monthly tuition and has just switched lunch providers for nutritional value. Is this a PERFECT school, no, nothing is ever perfect (dislike the common core math items). SPECIAL NOTE: The music director Mr. Sax is a bright beacon, encouraging childrens talents, incorporating into the music program, and musical ministry of Christ's word and message in a fun way witnessed at the Christmas and Spring concerts. We've seen violins, guitars, bells, saxophones and voices shine. A stellar thank you Mr. Sax !. It is a good school with a staff that strives to enrich the lives of their students through various educational approaches. We are not sorry to place our child here and believe that you wont be either.

St. Johns Lutheran School 2

Posted July 23, 2014
Okay as a student who graduated ,I just want to say,this school was horrible. I've been at st.johns since I was in kindergarten and I can honestly say the school got worse and worse over the years.6-8th grade was horrible,they were either lazy,horrible with students or too easy. I always liked the substitute better then the actual teachers. They don't know how to handle students when they get in trouble and it's a mess. The teachers would tell us not to gossip and then would turn around and talk about us. Also they accused my class of stealing and went through our stuff. It turned out the teacher just misplaced it and they made a big deal for no reason. Don't go to this school,waste of money and I feel unprepared for high school!

Posted April 09, 2014
I have been a part of St. John's for many years. My family is very happy here and have nothing but wonderful things to say. We have received personal attention from professional faculty and adminisration. Two of the teachers left over the summer however, it happens from time to time. They were replaced with wonderful teachers that the parents are very pleased with. My children have learned so much. They have created lasting friendships and have such fond memories of dances, school trips, and class projects . The use of computers and IPads has motivated students in a tremendous way. St. John's has provided a family atmosphere that strives for academic excellence.

St. Johns Lutheran School 1

Posted January 09, 2014
This WAS a fantastic school until the end of 2012-2013 year, all of sudden long time Principle and about half of the teachers disappeared during that summer, the church & the school board kept it as a secret to get new enrollments until the first day of the school, not even PTA was informed. All of sudden people assisting classes were promoted as teachers. (private schools doesn't have to hire licensed teachers according to the Law) quick search of NYS teachers license data base will show you couple of licensed teachers in that school. Current principle is a licensed teacher unfortunately she can't teach the entire school. the 170 pupil number is not a real, it's more likely 100 for grade 1-8, and enrollment is falling and parents are pulling kids out, The school is in desperate need to get new kids (if you go by the church you might see signs on the lawn to lure new kids for UPK). There's a playground; kids are not allowed, no Art, no foreign languages. *** This is a good Christian school. Your child going to need that religious education, because when it's time for high school you and the child going to have to pray a lot in the absence of knowledge. ****

Posted September 26, 2013
I have one child in 3rd grade and one in 7th grade and both kids love this school. The principal, Mrs Palisay, retired this year and there is a new principal, Mrs. Speiser and a new Assistant Principal, Mrs. Aber, who were both promoted from within the school so the children are familiar and comfortable with the new administration. The teachers think outside the box and believe that every child can learn regardless of their abilities and/or special needs. The school offers title one services.

St. Johns Lutheran School 4

Posted July 23, 2013
Both my husband and I have been very impressed with the quality of education our child is receiving at St. John's. Great principle, great teachers, and a great school. The current PTL does a fantastic job, but would love to see more parents getting involved. The school environment is safe, welcoming and Christ centered and the tuition is very reasonable. We love St. John's!

St. Johns Lutheran School 1

Posted July 19, 2013
This school is no good. Do NOT attend. If you do decide to go, prepared to be infuriated.

St. Johns Lutheran School 4

Posted July 11, 2013
If you are looking for school that really knows your child, look no further. St John's is that school. It is the type of environment where you can leave your child at the door and feel confident they are in good hands. The teachers are caring and supportive. They will return your call or email immediately. They are willing to answer your questions and will know your child well. The PTL is the best. They go above and beyond for the school. The new pastor is great addition to the school. He is friendly and energetic and kids love him. The only draw back ,in my opinion, is the school itself is in need of repair. It needs some updating. Funds are needed! Other then that the school is great place for your child to learn and grow.

Posted July 07, 2013
I am the parent of soon-to-be first grader who also went to Pre-K and Kindergarten at this school. We are satisfied with the over-all quality of the education our child has received. The K and Pre-K teachers were both excellent and we are confident the first grade teacher will also be. The Principal is an approachable and effective administrator who cares about the children and the school. The Pastor of the Church is a wonderful source of guidance and inspiration for the children. I believe all religions are represented and respect for all is encouraged. We feel the school is worth every penny because of the feeling that the school is one big family and we feel safe bringing our child there. We do not use the before and after care or bus service however which would increase the cost of the school significantly. There is no band program, and not that much art. There are a few extra curricular offerings, most notably last year we enjoyed the "Little Scientist" group. Unfortunately the P-T group is not well supported, most likely due to the fact that in most families both parents work outside of the home, and Staten Islanders have long commutes.

Posted September 22, 2011
I transferred my two children to St. Johns from a Catholic School and am thrilled with the quality of education and the amazing approachable staff. My kids love St. Johns and are both doing extremely well academically and have made some great supportive friends from day 1 at school last year. I asked them if they wanted to go back to St. Johns this September and was nearly deafened by the enthusiatic response of yes.... The teachers are always available to discuss your child and I can not say enough good things about the principal. The younger grades have ipads and the older grades have laptops (obtained thought grant programs written by the staff.). The teachers are very progressive and love working at St. Johns.

St. Johns Lutheran School
663 Manor Rd, Staten Island, NY  10314
Last modified St. Johns Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Johns Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top