No rating

St Joseph Hill Academy

Private | PK-8 | 70 students

Living in Staten Island

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $370,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,360.

Posted April 18, 2012

If any parent is looking for a great school for their children, then St Joseph Hill is the school for your children. Discipline is being taught throughout very grade and every student learns how to get along and socialize with each other. The education a child receives here is outstanding. Yes, they do get lots of homework but it all helps in their learning and they become better at it each and everyday. Parents, please understand that teachers cannot teach everything and you as your child's first teacher play a big role in your child's education. I constantly go to the computer and print out worksheets for my two daughters to study and for extra learning. My daughter left Kindergarten learning how to read because I spent a lot of time with her reading. St Joseph Hill has always been my first choice for my girls and will always be. They offer extra curricular activities and is big with sports so take advantage of it all. And to the person who commented that children are left out in the cold if no one is there in time to pick up, you are totally wrong, I have never seen that happen, children go back into the school until someone gets there, aftercare is also available.

Posted March 21, 2012

It's hard to properly describe Saint Joseph Hill Academy. The curriculum is outstanding; the children are challenged and expertly educated in each field. Religious education is tied into every day life as well as other subjects. The children go to Mass for every special occasion (i.e: Thanksgiving, May Crowning, Easter, etc.). Hill is involved with many charities and food drives such as "Bread of Life" & "Project Homecoming." Sadly, there are also many things that need to be worked on. The principal is overly concerned with cash, and the parents are almost ALWAYS placed above the teachers. It is good to listen to the parents, but they can't have run of the place. Many of the parents & their children are very spoiled. Several students will talk back to the "softer" teachers with almost no repercussions. The kids need DISCIPLINE. The tuition is a lot, but the stellar education makes it worthwhile. But, as stated prior, Hill is greedy with money. Lunch prices are out of control. Chicken tenders (3) are $3.75. A bag of M&Ms is $1.25. The school is constantly asking for money. The kids NEED a proper playground, especially the older ones, who have to spend their recess in a parking lot.

Posted October 18, 2010

because it helped me a lot

Posted April 27, 2010

They go out of their way for the children and it is an excellent learning environment

Posted February 18, 2010

this maybe a good school and the teachers are excellent but the principle is terrible . when the person on top is not were she belongs the rest of the flock is not on good term

Posted January 28, 2010

Im very happy with this school my grades went up and the kids are very nice. I have no problem with the harsh discipline because it will make me a better person in the future. the teachers are strict and nice. There are a lot of tests though and small amount of study time.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 12, 2009

I'm a very happy parent with this school, education is excellent. The kids learn disiplin,respect, and they also teach them how to be leaders not followers.

Posted October 12, 2009

It a great school for the most advance learning and the student all do so well on all there standard testing.

Posted October 1, 2009

I have a child in Kindergarten and this is her 3rd year attending the school. I've been very pleased so far. I've heard they push the kids a lot, but I don't see anything wrong with that. I want my child to be prepared for college and that will only be achieved with hard work and dedication. I don't understand when people whose children don't even attend the school, have such harsh things to say. How do you know about the school so much if you're not even there? Anyway, so far so good. I plan to have my daughter attending SJHA until High School, if I remain as satisfied.

Posted April 24, 2009

I'm very upset when I read the reviews from the 'unhappy' parents. I have two girls here and there have been some frustrating moments, but to say that the school' isnt worth it' is harsh. I think that the parents that complain about the work, are the same parents that aren't focused on school first. If you want more of a social life for your kid, then definitely go to another school ! Yes we must assist the teachers after school, but that is what you sign up for when you sign the handbook... Does the phrase 'Parents as Partners ' mean anything ? And by the way... your children are listening....it's not your school, it's their school

Posted December 18, 2008

If you attend this school you will have absolutly no family life. Be prepared to spend your weekends doing projects and studying for 7 or 8 tests a week. The kids are fustrated and the parents are stressed.This leads to other problems in the home as well as school. Dismissal policy is poor. God forbid you are not there in time, your child is left stranded in the cold,rain etc. We are not happy here.

Posted September 18, 2008

I have no fondeness for SJHA or the parents but with the new principle I have optimism. I think all schools have problems but I am staying put as I believe it is the worser of the evils. I would love to see changes in drop off/pick up, add an instrument class, overall security, some disipline for disruptive & ill mannered students, the teachers should have some control of the classrom and not be fired for actually enforcing minor disciple, some type of tutoring for children who need help (happy to pay for it), a proper playground, updating of the facilities, i would have no problem with them increasing the tuition but want to see changes, the only change i've seen in 5 years is the new spanish class ...my list goes on and on. hoping for the best,..if anyone has a better school to recommend please make known.

Posted August 7, 2008

Be prepared to be your child's teacher. Classroom size large. No foreign language and my child is now entering 4th grade. No support is available if a child is falling behind. Everyday except Monday there is a test. With a new principal coming this semester let's hope for improvement.

Posted May 30, 2008

I think this school is highly over-rated and over-priced. The principal does nothing. The kids are wild and disrespectful. The parents think they are all God's gift to humanity. Whatever happened to teaching kids to be a good human being?? I wouldn't let my dog go there

Posted August 19, 2007

I have one child who graduated the Elementary and now is in the H.S. I also have a second child who is still in the Elementary. I can't say enough good things about SJHA!

Posted April 19, 2006

This school is the best high school on Staten Island for girls, hand down. The quality of the teachers, the curriculum, the discipline - all unmatched. I was completely prepared for college, and then law school, as were my classmates.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 13, 2006

Good school. Very reading and writing orientated.

Posted September 13, 2004

The high school encourages girls to be the absolute best they can be. Strict standards, careful encouragement, and high expectations are the hallmarks that ask and demand the girls to rise and shine to their full potential. Our daughter has become a first class citizen and someone both we and the school can be very proud of. I believe that her time here has been a very worth while investment in her scholastically and well as socially. She has made friends that will last her a lifetime as well as learned ways of surviving in the 'real world' that, I believe, are beyond comparison & reproach. Her choice to go here, and it was an excellent one.

Asian 8% N/A

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

850 Hylan Boulevard