Posted October 22, 2014
My son's second year here. He is in K now, last year he had a phenomenal teacher and I believe the only Montessori certified one. She leads this school (the best idea this school's ever had) and I can honestly say she is absolutely genuine, she radiates such benevolent love and care for what she does and her students show it. I believe in honesty. I was not told that the majority of the faculty is not montessori certified. Being that I've invested time and money in the montessori method I believe I should expect full results. I am not a believer nor a supporter of common core whatsoever but that's a long subject. (Einstein's tree-climbing fish analogy). They certainly need a G+T program and science should be a daily subject! Or provide us with information if necessary. Most parents haven't a CLUE their children are gifted. Please america wake up. Our schools rank 25th in science, why? KIDS love science!! I also see a lot of parental involvement and I see it was rated 4 starts. As far as I'm concerned parents pay a lot of money monthly, they're involved in very creative fundraisers, and provide lunch and snacks for their children. BUT the best in SI. RESEARCH, RESEARCH RESEARCH.

Posted November 18, 2013
Very mixed feelings about BBMS. No question the results are excellent; its graduates *all* routinely get into some of the best middle schools in the city. However, this may be because of parental involvement, small class size, & the happy environment, not because of instruction quality, academic rigor, or the Montessori process. Only 2 of the teachers are certified Montessori, & only 1 is warm or interested in parental participation. BBMS does offer yoga, Spanish, & some years art, some years science. But these are only once per week--woefully inadequate for real learning. Science instruction in particular students all seem to love, but it generally consists only of once-weekly demonstrated experiments & accompanying background, with no regular daily instruction. Its physical facility is small & offers little in the way of physical activity. Woe to any parent whose child actually is gifted; advanced instruction is nonexistent--& resisted. At best, BBMS offers a relatively low-cost way to avoid the public system, a non-threatening environment, &, of course, those remarkable results. It tries hard, but is limited, maybe because of its size. Note: ownership has changed.

Posted February 01, 2012
My son attended pre-K here and has learned so much! The school includes yoga, Spanish and music classes in its curriculum. When my son came home talking about the bones in his skeleton or what he learned about Chinese culture, he was excited about learning and I realized that my little sponge was capable of understanding so much more than I was giving him credit for. He loves to get "homework"! Looking forward to Kindergarten!

Posted October 11, 2009
This was my son's first preschool and ever since he has loved school. My son woke up with a smile to go to school. He enjoyed this school and he learned so much. If we didn't have to move he would still be there attending this school. After moving out of state and putting him in another very famous preschool I came to realize that they didn't even do 25% of what this school had done for my son. When we move back this is where he would go back for sure.

Posted September 23, 2009
Excellent school,great environment,brilliant teachers.The kids love school and most of all love to learn!!!!!

Posted February 16, 2006

Posted October 07, 2005
First thing about this school is: the kids are happy. There is a zest for learning here. The methods for learning may be old fashioned and the kids may not be in a highly competetive environment, but they come out of their experience with good feelings towards one another and towards school work.

Building Blocks Montessori School
55 Forest Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10301
Last modified Building Blocks Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
Building Blocks Montessori School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top