Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 20, 2016
Ms. Errico & Ms. Nowrocki are an exceptional team. They are caring and supportive while maintaining a respectful and disciplined environment. They work well with each other and the children to ensure all needs are being met from the children who need extra assistance to the children who are excelling. We are grateful for such wonderful teachers!

Posted May 20, 2016
The school has truly proved itself over the past year. My child has had exceptional teachers in kindergarten. The workload is heavy but the teachers understand how to balance the day. Gym has been increased to twice a week. My child's class participated in seven weeks of Broadway Dance and performed a number from Mary Poppins. Separately, there is a dance festival for his grade. The movement helps to balance out the rigorous education the school commands. My son is leaving kindergarten reading fluently and with inflection, writing full page informative and opinion essays and doing multi-step math word problems. Enrichment clusters have been created and my child was selected for the STEM cluster. My child came home discussing 2D and 3D shapes and his activities on a Smart Board. The class had several visits from a scientist from the SI Museum as well as trips to the museum and the SI Zoo. In any other school, this curriculum would be considered only for the gifted and talented but here, every child is exposed to it and supported to succeed. I continue to hope for daily recess (currently, children only go out every other day) and a wider array of after-school activities such as chess or karate on-site. That said, their current after-school program has a wonderful and caring staff that aids in homework help and takes the kids outside to play every chance possible. The security guard knows every child in the after-school program by name and looks out for them. The PTA is an active, dedicated group and often hold events around holidays for the kids. Events have included an evening pajama story time, a pumpkin patch at Halloween, an entire month of March Madness activities and a yearly carnival. There are special assemblies during the year such as the steel drum band or the Harlem Magic basketball players performing. This school is a wonderful version of a small town environment in a big city. I have come to truly appreciate the hard work of the entire staff at P.S. 58 and look forward to the following year.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted May 19, 2016
Great stuff..great treating for parents..kids love spending time there..they caring and have passion to learn kids something

Posted May 19, 2016
I like this school ..my kid too..teachers and all stuff are great ..the year full of events and activities

Posted March 15, 2015
This is my daughter's 2nd year at this school. She is going amazing well due to the hard work and dedication of her teachers. The school is very inviting to the parents and always keeps us informed of all the schools happenings. The building is very clean, the office workers are very nice and always take their time to answer all questions I'm very happy to be part of this school. I also have a 13 year old who is G&T she attended 4 different elementary Schools none of which compare to this one.

Space Shuttle Columbia School 1

Posted September 30, 2014
Too much of favoritisim. I really think teacher need to learn how to handle student not to forget they have been trained. teacher has zero tolerance level

Posted May 15, 2014
My oldest daughter is currently in 2nd grade. My youngest daughter will be entering Kindergarten later this year. I was a little nervous at first this year, given the level/content the first graders were learning. I thought it would be hard for my daughter, but she has excelled this year, so much so that she achieved the student of the month award. Now, we have strict rules at home when it comes to homework and studying, and that 15 minutes of reading everyday. However, the second grade teacher has really encouraged my daughter to excel, but urging her to increase her classroom participation. This has worked WONDERS for my daughter! My oldest has attended this school since Pre-K. The assistant principal and the teachers have really impressed me with their care and sensitivity! Everyone is nice and accommodating! I think the cirriculum is a little intimidating, but since my oldest daughter is doing so well, so be it! A very good school! I am pleased and anxious to see if my little one will excel the same.

Posted April 28, 2014
ps 58 I really like the school for my kids. i like allthe teachers and staff never had any problems with the school.

Posted March 27, 2014
P.S. 58 is a great school!!! Both of my children goes here since P-K and very happy with the education that they get along with the great support from school. Very friendly staff and teachers.

Posted March 24, 2014
i love this school. Everyone is friendly and helpful from the school security officer to the main office

77 Marsh Avenue, Staten Island, NY  10314
Last modified Space Shuttle Columbia School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.