7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

The Stony Brook School 1

Posted June 29, 2016
This school is terrible for multiple reasons. Number one- Many of the teacher aren't qualified to teach what they teach. Number two- they discriminate against gay or bisexual people. Number three- they disliked me because I was Catholic and not Christian. Number 4- This school give an insane amount of homework, and its just busy work and doesn't benefit you as a student. Number 5- Rules make no sense i.e if you are caught with your shirt untucked you will get 90 minutes of detention on a Saturday. I mean really! Also, if you say the word shut up in class they will make you do 10 pushups in front of the entire class. I would most certainly not recommend this school to anyone who cares about their son or daughter. I was severely depressed during my whole time at this school. I developed binge eating disorder do to my overwhelming depression and it is something that I will never forget. I was also bullied at this school on several occasions and I never felt accepted because I was a little bit different then everyone else.

The Stony Brook School 3

Posted October 26, 2012
I am an alumnus of the school, and even though I am a Christian and take Christianity seriously, I disliked the school's requirement that its students attend chapel 5 times a week and take a class about the Bible every year. The curriculum and the chapel talks inevitably repeated countless times, and I believe that such repetition is counterproductive because it makes Christianity boring. The school's motto "Character before Career" reflects their emphasis on character development. However, too often their method is by forcing the students to do work that they are not eager to do. The consequence of disobedience is even more work, and it was not uncommon for students to receive 13 hours of detention for being absent to a class. The school likes to use sticks rather than carrots. On the other hand, the academic program is good, and the teachers care about the students. The small size of the school and the boarding environment make it easy to build relationships with the teachers. It is this fact that offsets the somewhat oppressive environment of the school. However, the small size of the school also means that there are not as many academic opportunities.

Posted August 27, 2010
My son has been a student since 7th grade, now entering 11th. Words can not describe how this school has formed him into a fine young Christian man, secure with himself, his abilities and his beliefs. It goes beyond the classroom education to incorporate important life lessons. I can honestly say that our entire family has benefitted from his experience. I can't wait for my younger son to attend as well. The entire staff is like family and totally commited. This is truly a home away from home where you know your kids are safe and well taken care of all while being educated to the greatest degree. I wish all kids could have this experience.

The Stony Brook School

Posted January 14, 2008
I'm a student in SBS and it is wonderful!

Posted June 26, 2005
We enrolled our daughter to this School recently after hearing so many good review about this school. The admission process was very great. The faculty and staff were very friendly and warm, along with the students that we met. 'Character before career', this motto really impressed. It tells me that students will be well taught and would leave Stony Brook at the end of their four years a well rounded student. Men and women of integrity ready to face the world. During and after the admission and acceptance process I have met a number of past students or parents of past students who said the school is excellent and their children received a good education. The fact that all faculty and teachers are christians reassure me that our children are in good hands. I know that our daughter will benefit from this type of unique education. May God bless this school.

Posted August 26, 2003
excellent christian academic prep school. like anything else, the more you get involved as a parent the better. chapel and bible study everyday. extended days with sports after school. keeps the students well rounded and busy. kids attend from all over the world and learn about other cultures.

The Stony Brook School
1 Chapman Parkway, Stony Brook, NY  11790
Last modified The Stony Brook School is a Private school that serves grades 7-12