North Shore Montessori

Private | 13 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Stony Brook

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $392,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,780.

Sweep tile

Posted March 16, 2014

Wonderful school. We have been a part of this school for 5 years and all three of my kids have had amazing experiences and teachers. I could not have imagined a better place. The Montessori experience is truly something amazing.

Posted March 14, 2014

Wonderful, clean, happy preschool and Kindergarden environment! Our son attends Kindergarden and he loves it! He is learning math, to read, yoga, the piano, creative arts, painting! The best school on the North Shore hands-down (and we had toured many before making our decision)!

Posted March 14, 2014

BEST PRE-K and KINDERGARDEN School on the NORTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND! FIVE STARS!!!!!!!! Such a WONDERFUL, amazing, and happy environment! Lovely, caring, professional, highly experience staff! We have been sending our son there for Kindergarden. He went there to preschool as well! He is learning to read, math, yoga, baking, takes piano lessons, and we are all so very happy with this school. True Montessori! A true education!!!!!

Posted March 14, 2014

We truly love North Shore Montessori School. My son is a Kindergartener this year and my daughter will begin preschool next year at NSMS. North Shore Montessori School has provided my son with a strong academic foundation but also so much more. Along with us, the teachers have taught him lessons of independence, problem solving, charity and kindness. We attend many community events held at NSMS such as picnics, dinners and cultural celebrations. I feel that NSMS is a safe and caring environment for all children to learn and have fun together.

Posted January 27, 2014

This is an excellent school. The quality of education that it offers is outstanding. The curriculum is very diverse in terms of the variety of subjects, i.e., mathematics, sciences, arts, music, physical education, etc., which provides a solid foundation for children allowing them to enter the public (or private) school system at an advanced level. The class sizes afford the teachers to spend one-on-one time with each child as well as with everyone in the class. The materials are great and extremely diverse. The school, its teachers, and administrators instill a great of sense of community and involvement in the school and among parents. Parents are always welcomed and encouraged to take an active role in the school. The costs are very reasonable especially if comparing to other pre-schools in the area. My bi-lingual 3-year old has already learned mathematics and reading (something that I did not when I was his age). I highly recommend this school to anyone looking.

Posted January 27, 2014

The most caring school we have ever been associated with, from the teachers, staff, and Head Of School. Our grand-daughter absolutely loves it and comes home with additional counting, art, reading, music, and athletic skills every day.

Posted June 4, 2013

While North Shore Montessori School does not participate in a public discussion of individual situations, we would like to clarify the educational and professional background of our Head of School. Mrs. Sheehan does in fact hold a Bachelor s Degree in Nursing and was employed for over ten years as a Registered Nurse in the local area. However, Mrs. Sheehan decided to pursue her love of elementary education and returned to college where she obtained her Masters in Literacy Education at Dowling College. Mrs. Sheehan is certified in Elementary Education as well as Literacy Education in New York State. Most recently, Mrs. Sheehan successfully completed her Montessori Management Certificate through the Center for Montessori Education. We take great pride in the example we set for our students and the strong Montessori education we provide to our community. We work diligently to meet the needs of every family that attends North Shore Montessori and will continue to foster those relationships for years to come. If you would like additional information regarding our school, please contact us at 631-689-8273.

Posted June 3, 2013

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my family's experience at North Shore Montessori. My daughter has been a student here for the last two years and will be staying for Kindergarten in the fall. Under the guidance of her Children's House Directress, she was given the freedom to explore, learn and grow and the encouragement to try new things and make new friends. I was a Class mom during her first year at NSMS and joined the Board during her second year. My younger daughter will be starting in the Children's House this fall as well and I am so excited to give her the opportunity to grow in this environment. We have made the decision as a family that this the kind of foundation we want our children to have. Seeing how happy our children are in this environment assures us that we've made the right choice. I would encourage any parent who has questions or concerns to seek additional information from the Head of School or Board of Trustees. I feel so lucky to have joined such a warm and connected community and I look forward to our years ahead.

Posted May 23, 2013

For parents thinking of sending their children to North Shore Montessori, please reconsider.I recently had to pull my child from the school because he was being tormented by another child. The teacher herself called it bullying. When the Board of Trustes and Director found out the teacher used this term they were not happy. Ultimately, with no discipline policy or behavior modification, they did not stop the bullying. They wated to "empower'my son to stand up to the bully . What they should have done was stop the bullying behavior. They were more worried about me not telling anyone in the school "community'. They failed to keep my son safe and correct the other child. Money is more of their concern and their reputation not being tarnished. It didn't help that the Director is a nurse by trade, not an educator. I ultimately pulled my child out of the school. North Shore Montessori is the most costly preschool in town, and fails to keep children safe. What a shame.

Posted May 9, 2012

Both my daughter and son attended NSMS from 2 years through kindergarten and their experience made me feel the need to join the board to ensure the school continues it's 40 year history. I cannot speak highly enough of my experiences with the teachers in each of the class formats. My daughter stepped out of her shell in Building Blocks and learned to express her needs. My son enjoyed being a leader in Stepping Stones and learning the fundamentals of Montessori. Both children are very different and we chose different Children's House teachers. My daughter required gentle nudging to try new things and my son needed space to run with his interests and guidance to take them to the next level. They each had a wonderful education and have been more than prepared for first grade upon graduation. Yes, there are costs associated with the running of the school and the amount of work involved in preparing for each student to attend. Please do read the financial details when filling out the enrollment paperwork. I am confident you will find it all explained and that the staff will be able to answer any questions you might have.

Posted October 9, 2011

BUYER BEWARE! The administration tells you it's all about the children, but in actuality it's all about them adding to their bottom line. Make sure you read the fine print before you sign the dotted line when enrolling your child. This school is very costly and they purposely mislead you about their "hidden costs." Yes, you want the best education for your child, but you still need to manage the rest of your monthly expenses. Don't make the same mistake I did - do your homework and read ALL OF THEIR FINANCIAL CLAUSES BEFORE SIGNING ANY OF THEIR DOCUMENTS!

Posted December 9, 2008

This is a wonderful school. My child is in Kindergarten here and began reading his first week of school. I couldn't be happier with his progress and in both reading and math.

Posted June 6, 2006

This school is an associate of the AMS. It is more a traditional pre-school than a true Montessori, but still a good school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Meg Sheehan
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Cafeteria
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Dance

School culture

• Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

218 Christian Ave