Henninger High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1619 students

Posted October 26, 2013

THE TEACHERS GO OUT IF THERE WAY TO HELP THE STUDENTS AS BEST AS THEY CAN WITH THE FUNDING THEY HAVE ........... THEY GOT OUT OF THERE WAY FOR US THE PARENTS ALSO SUCH COMPASSION FOR THE KIDS

Posted March 3, 2013

After completing two years at Henninger ( I spent freshman year at West Genesee and I graduated a year early) I feel that this school is sub par. The teachers don't know how to control their students. There is no discipline. Students would cuss at teachers, walk in and out of class, do whatever they desired and seldom was there a consequence. I am now a sophomore in college and I know that going to Henninger only hindered me as a student. I took AP classes and did three years of high school in two, yet I was also able to come to school an hour late and leave an hour early (study halls) and skip 1-2 days of school every week, while maintaining a high GPA. You can't do that anywhere else! I was a horrible student by any other school's standards, but because I did most of the work assigned, Henninger was more than okay with allowing me to do as I please.

Posted November 2, 2010

It's my second year at Henninger, I'm a sophomore and I think it's great. There are those few teachers who don't seem to desire teaching us as much as they should but other than that it's a nice school. Henninger offers so any different sports, clubs, programs and organizations. The security and administration are awesome as well. There are fights and issues with students but there's the option to not get involved with those groups, correct?

Posted June 14, 2010

My eldest daughter is in 11th grade at Henninger, and she does very well there. She does get resource which I think helps her stay on top of her classes, and they need to bring advisement back because, she did use that every time she needed extra help with assignments. The only issue I have had with her is one teacher, Mrs. Zappala. She only cares if the athletes are passing her class and not the rest of her students. She only makes time for them and not the rest of her students.

Posted May 1, 2010

This is my first year at Henninger, I am a junior. I have been to many schools in my life. Two christian schools, Salem Hyde elementary, and Baldwinsville. Therefore I believe my experience is less biased, considering the fact that I have something to compare my experience to. The teachers aren't the worst. But the classes are ridiculous. Kids skipping class who need somewhere to sit it out will just barge right into the classrooms at any given time. They'll sit right down, and blast their music. Even after the teacher asks them to leave, they beg, and they stay. I absolutely cannot focus at all. I struggle with taking tests because people are always talking, or playing music through their iPods so loudly that I know exactly what song they're listening to. Aside from that problem, Henninger is FILTHY. It's absolutely atrocious. I don't know how else to explain it.

Posted September 30, 2009

As far as public schools in syracuse go Henninger is one of the best ever. They have caring staff that is highly overwork and they run on sheer personal ethics sometimes. The love of education and educating. So my deepest bows to them. Job well done.

Posted June 16, 2009

This school is dirty with a vary poor mens bathrooms and the teachers......some are vary good and some the kids could teach better id give it a 6 out of 10

Posted June 7, 2009

this school is full with imature kids that dont know how to act like adult and plus the administators have there priorities all wrong!!

Posted March 17, 2009

this school is very good and it has nice people that work there and its pretty decent .

Posted March 12, 2009

I dont know who said Mr.Cecil isnt a dedicated principal. There are 4 school administrators and if you really need them there is always at least one there to assist you in any way they possibly can. The administrators and teachers at henninger are there for more than just the pay cheak. ive never had more dedicated teachers in my life. Mr. Cecil does care about the students and their well being. Almost everymorning he is at the front door greeting everyone that walks in. Mr. Cecil has never walked past me and not asked how i was.Mr. Rist and ms amica both as well are great administraters who i believe help the school every day in every way. I love henninger and wouldnt have changed anything

Posted March 8, 2009

As a recent transfer (Bishop Ludden) I was definately having my doubts about the high school before I got there. AS soon as I walked in, all of those doubts went away. Playing a sport (lacrosse) helps alot in growing socially, but I do not believe that is the only positive aspect of the school. I currently take AP English 11 and APUSH and i could not be happier. My teachers are some of the best I've ever had. Yes, it is quite a social change, the size of the school was overwhelming at first, but Henninger is a perfect fit for me and my only regret is that i did not do it sooner. I will be the starting goalie for the men's lacrosse team this spring, and i can guarantee that it will be a very interesting season for the Black Knights. I love Henninger.

Posted February 15, 2009

I have 5 children at or completed Henniger. I love the teachers, the whole experience, and my kids have an awsome education.

Posted February 14, 2009

Being a student at Henninger High School is the best experience i've had in my life so far. The teachers are amazing and the administration couldn't be better. The athletics are wonderful (Go Knights!). All the bad things that people hear about this school are not true and people who talk about Henninger need to get over themselves and stop talking about it until they visit the school.

Posted August 13, 2008

I just graduated from henninger and I loved it! I met the best people there and the teachers are extremely helpful and they actually care if you dont do so well and provide the eduacation to do better. The athletics are amazing! Basically none of the negative things people hear about Henninger are true. They would really have to go attend the school to see how it is. :)

Posted June 12, 2008

I go to Henninger and I love it. The things people hear aren't true at all. I'm switching schools next year because I moved and I am going to miss this school more than anyone could imagine. The teachers care about us and our education and that's what counts.

Posted May 5, 2008

I feel that the school provides a wide variety of athletics; however, the school does not appear to be on top of attendance and at risk teenagers. They need more staffing to adhere to this issue.

Posted March 6, 2008

This is a great school. For the size of it, I think the teachers and other faculty do a great job. The only shame is that like many of our schools, it does not have the funding it should have.

Posted March 3, 2008

I am a past student of the high school. My mom is a teacher there (Mrs.Carr) she works with the special needs students and I can tell you for a fact that she stays after sometimes to 4-5 when shes is only contracted to 3 (which some teachers leave at the bell too). I barley see any students stay after either. I during that time so I would suggest you tell your kids to stop playing around outside after school. So don't take it out on the teachers or the school. I think this is a great school. But they focus a little too much on the athletic side. They have many support programs from mental health to tutoring (I think they have at least 3 programs in the school). Obviously there were a few teachers that I didnt appreciate but there were some really good ones.

Posted May 29, 2007

I have two special needs children who have basically just been lost in the system. No matter how many times I inquire/complain I get the run around. As far as Mr. Cecile is concerned- you can't get an appointment with the man. I believe a majority of the teachers are there to collect a paycheck and go home.

Posted May 30, 2004

I am a past student of this school and my experience was a really good one. The school is a wonderful one and I highly recommend this school.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

The state average for Algebra II/Trigonometry was 66% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 76% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 72% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 77% in 2013.

408 students were tested at this school in 2013.

French

The state average for French was 95% in 2011.

12 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 74% in 2013.

355 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Global History and Geography

The state average for Global History and Geography was 71% in 2013.

545 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Algebra

The state average for Integrated Algebra was 73% in 2013.

561 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Italian

The state average for Italian was 98% in 2011.

n/a
Living Environment

The state average for Living Environment was 77% in 2013.

433 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Spanish

The state average for Spanish was 94% in 2011.

174 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Regents Examinations to test high school students in English, math, global history and geography, US history and government, living environment, chemistry, Earth science and physics. Students must take at least five Regents Exams in order to graduate. Scores of 65 and above are passing; scores of 55 and above earn credit toward a local diploma (with the approval of the local board of education). The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: New York State Education Department

General population69%
English language learners61%
Proficient in English63%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: New York State Education Department

Master's degree and above 19%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

600 Robinson St