PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

As a graduate of this school, I live my life in regret that I did not transfer out. Creation is taught as a matter of fact. Students are psychologically bullied to accept the most fundamentalist, right-wing, hateful dogma possible. Hatred of gay people and non-Christian relatives is preached during mandatory daily sermons. A student in my class was actually expelled because he was caught listening to rock music. Female students are taught to be subservient to men in marriage one day, and teachers frequently make degrading comments about women's appearance, etc. Girls are not allowed to wear pants to school functions. Even for fundamentalist Christian parents who are okay with all the above, I could not recommend this school. The school refuses to provide recommendations to students applying to college outside of central New York, because then they couldn't attend Living Word Church. The best teachers are overworked and underpaid, and many teachers are completely unqualified. I saw a teacher pick a 7th grade student up by the shoulders and shake him and scream at him, the teacher was back in the classroom the next day, and the student's parents were shunned for complaining. When I went to college, I was completely unprepared, as I had breezed through my classes at Living Word without ever needing to study or being pushed. I got a 2.0 my first semester. I am married to someone who got a great Catholic high school education, and I am jealous of his experience every day. I know the low tuition here is almost impossible to ignore for Christian parents who aren't wealthy, but you truly get nothing for your money. My siblings transferred to charter schools with a lot of Christian teachers, and had a much better experience. I would recommend that.

I am fellow graduate of this school so is my mother, and brother. I have the upmost respect for the staff and volunteers who take out of thier time to teach. They have done an outstanding job fusing the teachings of education with the The Holy Bible. I would not think twice about sending my children to this school. Where it's safe, has good morals and most of all bible based faith.

This school is a ministry of the Living Word Church, therefore, it is run by the church and preaches Christ above academics. The school prepares kids at a foundational level academically and is not recognized by many above average colleges and universities in NYState since LWA selects who can profile their school. This can be a big problem if your child is looking to attend one of these schools. There is no performance review for any teacher at LWA leading to sub-par knowledge transfer in some core courses. It is my experience, having had 2 children graduate from LWA, that parents are discouraged from engaging with teachers where these problems exist. There are no AP classes offered, however, students are encouraged to study on there own for the tests. Most obtain 3 or lower on the tests. The sports offered at LWA excel, since the coaches put sports above academics. Tuition is very reasonable if you attend the Living Word Church. Finally, to make a decision on sending your child to this school, you should first attend the Living Word Church to several times to see if you like what you hear coming from the pulpit. The church leaders run the school, not the principal.

I am an alumni of Living Word Academy (attended K-12) and now volunteer there and have three children attending. LWA teaches the whole Word of God and perhaps that is why some people have a difficult experience, because they do not want to accept the whole Word of God or be held accountable. The school opens every day because of the miracle of the Holy Spirit working in each staff member, many of which are volunteers and come because they truly love and want to serve their Savior and care for the spiritual welfare of the children. So if you're interested in Living Word, please don't let those negative comments scare you off. Come and see for yourself! I received an excellent education, was well prepared for college, but most importantly have a firm foundation for life in the Truth of God that was brought to me through the words and examples found at Living Word. I am so thankful for the wonderful environment I grew up in. I continue to have lifelong friendships with fellow alumni and the staff and pastors that taught us.

I have just read the reviews for Living Word Academy. Some comments were excellent, some quite negative. Before making a decision about this school, I would encourage you to visit it first. Spend some time there and observe what is going on. Then seek the Lord in prayer and ask Him to direct you to the school He wants your children to be in. And when He answers, obey His voice. Don't let the opinions of others influence you. The Lord has a plan for your child's education. It's up to you to find out what that plan is. I pray you hear His voice.

I discourage any parent to enroll their child in this school. It is dictating, manipulating, and twisted. They encourage isolation with any person that has left and think they are better than everyone else. Their rules are outrageous. They ruin lives and separate families, their teachings are far beyond anything realistic. Keep your family away from Living Word.

Great teachers - very personable. However staff very dictating on life style, encourages social isolation, and judgmental. Encourage you to turn your back on non-member family.

As a former student, I would discourage a christian parent from sending their children to Living Word. The associated church is neck deep in legalism and church oppression, and has a bad reputation in the local church community. Many students leave LWA thinking that their Christian image and behavior are all that matters in their walk with Christ, and consequently they don't have much of a spiritual identity when they get to college. I would encourage you to look elsewhere.

All four of my children graduated from this Shcool. They learned good Christian doctrine and all excelled academically. It is a safe environment run by caring people.

I thank God for Living Word Academy. The teachers and staff are spirit filled and sincerely want the best for the children in the Lord. I graduated from the Academy, and my 5 children went there as well. Some enjoyed it more than others, but I believe that all learned how to have a closer relationship with the Lord, and academically they were prepared for college.

Last modified Living Word Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12