Tonawanda, NY

Posted December 03, 2014
My daughter 5 year olds is new to this school this year, I have made 15 attempts to contact them and out of 9 phone calls and 6 e-mails I have received 1 call back!!! It is sad that they call them selves Christians yet their fruits show differently.

Posted August 28, 2014
Parents, children, don't walk RUN from this school!!! I have never seen children treated with such disrespect and so unkindly. I enrolled my son here in first grade because i wanted him to go to a "private school" and it was the cheapest one I could find and it was the biggest mistake of my life, I guess you get what you pay for. The teachers have favorite's and the children have clicks. If you are not a part of one you are alone and bullied. It is dark, dirty, and down right depressing not to mention, where is the love for God in this school? I love my son dearly and am so sorry I ever put him through such an awful experience!!!! You can improve the school by doing a little soul searching and find your savior Jesus Christ. He is about kindness and love, he is not not cruel and intolerant READ YOUR BIBLE'S PEOPLE!!

Posted May 16, 2014
As the parent of a child with a disability, I am extremely disappointed with the quality of care St. Amelia provides for it's challenged students. The therapists are exceptional, kind and well qualified communicating with our family on a regular basis, but the treatment spaces are dirty, poorly lit and the leadership doesn't see this as a problem. I felt my child was being overlooked as I watched grades decline and, despite help at home and reassurance from leadership that every possible opportunity was being explored, I continued to see decline. I did not feel my child was receiving the best education possible and I did feel that because of my child's disability that he was being treated like a second rate student. It has taken me several years to feel comfortable enough to speak out about this, but I am now confident that if you have a child with special needs, St Amelia School is NOT the place to send your child.

Posted June 10, 2013
St. Amelia's is the best thing that has happened for our child. She entered the school in fourth grade and was immediately accepted. They predict that grades will go down initially for transfer students from public schools, but hers went up. Her teachers could not have been more nurturing and helpful. She loves the opportunity to study dance and Latin. Father Tom is very involved in the school and is a very positive influence on the moral development of the students. The academics are rigorous. She has a love of learning now that is very gratifying to us because it carries over to our home life. The meals are very good and healthful. The physical environment is very pleasant. The fundraising is not onerous; the projects are interesting and creative. Our child came from a highly rated public school, but I would say that St. Amelia's is a more supportive and positive environment. The teachers are excellent and well prepared. The public school provided more projects involving oral presentations and had more frequent physical education, but having had Latin, a musical instrument, and dance by the end of fifth grade and being happy and excited at the end of the day is priceless.

Posted February 13, 2013
We have had all 3 of our boys go there K-8th grade the youngest is now in jr high, our middle son is in high school and our oldest finished 2 yr of college, don't let anyone dissuade you it is a great school, the staff is a no mess around staff keeping the kids inline, unlike you see in the public schools where the students rule the roost, not here. The students we know who did leave for various reasons find the public school work to be very easy to the point of bordom. Now some of the low ratings you see by some of the parents are mostly from the cry baby's who didn't get there way for one reason or another, remember there is always a few bad apples in every basket. The best advice I can give is to come check out the school for your self. 1 important item speaks for its self about how good the school is, the enrollment keeps getting larger and larger each year, so if it was as bad as some of these raters say it is, wouldn't you think the enrollment would get smaller not larger? It's a great school with a great caring staff.

Posted January 29, 2013
had nothing but problems with this school. my kids never get in trouble; however if you transfer to this school, they will not be treated equal to students that have been there since kindergarten!!!! i have never dealt with a principle who is blatantly ignorant!!!!!

Posted December 16, 2012
I am a student at this school and I wish I was not. I have been going here for a couple of years now and let me tell you I hate it so much. I would have switched last year but now I am in 8th grade and want to graduate with my friends. Almost my whole grade can not wait to be out of this terrible place! Most off the teachers are awesome, but the principle and the deans are so mean! I dont think they care about us one bit! They dont let you express yourself at all! The rules are very strict!! Plus in this school you are either someone or no one! Everyone is in a group!! I try to bounce around from group to group but some of the kids are brutal! I know kids who left the school because of bullying! Oh and their are many favorites! You can easily tell who is a favorite and who isnt! Favoritism is all over that school!! I wish the school I came from was still open. The only reason I came to this school is because the majority of my friends were going here too! Now I came here and wonder why everyone thinks its such a great school! My old school was way better and if the kids I am with now could go there they would be in for a surprise! I hate this school so much.

St Amelia School 2

Posted October 28, 2012
I attend this school and I must say I hate it. Th principal is rude and controlling. None of my fellow classmates like this school and we are constantly complaining about how much we hate it. My parents constantly apologize for sending me here. THe only reason I came was because my mom was won over by the principal's award. There are also many cliques and its not hard to tell who is 'popular' and who is not. The only positive thing is that some of the teachers are very nice and kind as well as most students. From a students perspective, Don't send your child here, please don't. PS: *My perspective is only on JR high, I've heard the Kindergarden is great*

Posted March 19, 2012
Sending our kids to St Amelia School was the best choice we ever made. Our son entered from Public school in 4th grade, our daughter in Kindergarten. They both feel so at home, despite being in the 5% of kids who are not Catholic. The teachers are focused, appropriately strict, and the Principal, James Mule, has recenly won a national award given to only 3 private school principals in the USA. A 5 star school with many accreditations!! Almost every parent and grandparent come to every event - the school is linked into the KenTon school district for wrap around services, busing, counselors, GIfted and Talented Program (also excellent). The sports program is robust and the tuition is extremely reasonable. Many great and dedicated folks work at the school - making it an amazing, well-rounded, neighborhood school. Of note - I drive my kids 25 minutes each way as it is THAT worth it!

Posted January 26, 2012
My daughter is in her second year at St. Amelias and she loves this school. Her Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Tolnay and her first grade teacher is Mrs. Staff; both teachers seem to work very hard and my daughter loves both of them. The faculty and the parents for the most part are very nice people. I can see this school has my daughter on the right path and I will be sending my son here next year. If you are a caring parent you cannot go wrong sending your child to this school.

St Amelia School