St. Amelia School

Private | PK-8 | 479 students

Living in Tonawanda

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $97,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Sweep tile

Posted June 10, 2013

St. Amelia's is the best thing that has happened for our child. She entered the school in fourth grade and was immediately accepted. They predict that grades will go down initially for transfer students from public schools, but hers went up. Her teachers could not have been more nurturing and helpful. She loves the opportunity to study dance and Latin. Father Tom is very involved in the school and is a very positive influence on the moral development of the students. The academics are rigorous. She has a love of learning now that is very gratifying to us because it carries over to our home life. The meals are very good and healthful. The physical environment is very pleasant. The fundraising is not onerous; the projects are interesting and creative. Our child came from a highly rated public school, but I would say that St. Amelia's is a more supportive and positive environment. The teachers are excellent and well prepared. The public school provided more projects involving oral presentations and had more frequent physical education, but having had Latin, a musical instrument, and dance by the end of fifth grade and being happy and excited at the end of the day is priceless.

Posted February 13, 2013

We have had all 3 of our boys go there K-8th grade the youngest is now in jr high, our middle son is in high school and our oldest finished 2 yr of college, don't let anyone dissuade you it is a great school, the staff is a no mess around staff keeping the kids inline, unlike you see in the public schools where the students rule the roost, not here. The students we know who did leave for various reasons find the public school work to be very easy to the point of bordom. Now some of the low ratings you see by some of the parents are mostly from the cry baby's who didn't get there way for one reason or another, remember there is always a few bad apples in every basket. The best advice I can give is to come check out the school for your self. 1 important item speaks for its self about how good the school is, the enrollment keeps getting larger and larger each year, so if it was as bad as some of these raters say it is, wouldn't you think the enrollment would get smaller not larger? It's a great school with a great caring staff.

Posted January 29, 2013

had nothing but problems with this school. my kids never get in trouble; however if you transfer to this school, they will not be treated equal to students that have been there since kindergarten!!!! i have never dealt with a principle who is blatantly ignorant!!!!!

Posted December 16, 2012

I am a student at this school and I wish I was not. I have been going here for a couple of years now and let me tell you I hate it so much. I would have switched last year but now I am in 8th grade and want to graduate with my friends. Almost my whole grade can not wait to be out of this terrible place! Most off the teachers are awesome, but the principle and the deans are so mean! I dont think they care about us one bit! They dont let you express yourself at all! The rules are very strict!! Plus in this school you are either someone or no one! Everyone is in a group!! I try to bounce around from group to group but some of the kids are brutal! I know kids who left the school because of bullying! Oh and their are many favorites! You can easily tell who is a favorite and who isnt! Favoritism is all over that school!! I wish the school I came from was still open. The only reason I came to this school is because the majority of my friends were going here too! Now I came here and wonder why everyone thinks its such a great school! My old school was way better and if the kids I am with now could go there they would be in for a surprise! I hate this school so much.

Posted October 28, 2012

I attend this school and I must say I hate it. Th principal is rude and controlling. None of my fellow classmates like this school and we are constantly complaining about how much we hate it. My parents constantly apologize for sending me here. THe only reason I came was because my mom was won over by the principal's award. There are also many cliques and its not hard to tell who is 'popular' and who is not. The only positive thing is that some of the teachers are very nice and kind as well as most students. From a students perspective, Don't send your child here, please don't. PS: *My perspective is only on JR high, I've heard the Kindergarden is great*

Posted March 19, 2012

Sending our kids to St Amelia School was the best choice we ever made. Our son entered from Public school in 4th grade, our daughter in Kindergarten. They both feel so at home, despite being in the 5% of kids who are not Catholic. The teachers are focused, appropriately strict, and the Principal, James Mule, has recenly won a national award given to only 3 private school principals in the USA. A 5 star school with many accreditations!! Almost every parent and grandparent come to every event - the school is linked into the KenTon school district for wrap around services, busing, counselors, GIfted and Talented Program (also excellent). The sports program is robust and the tuition is extremely reasonable. Many great and dedicated folks work at the school - making it an amazing, well-rounded, neighborhood school. Of note - I drive my kids 25 minutes each way as it is THAT worth it!

Posted January 26, 2012

My daughter is in her second year at St. Amelias and she loves this school. Her Kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Tolnay and her first grade teacher is Mrs. Staff; both teachers seem to work very hard and my daughter loves both of them. The faculty and the parents for the most part are very nice people. I can see this school has my daughter on the right path and I will be sending my son here next year. If you are a caring parent you cannot go wrong sending your child to this school.

Posted June 7, 2011

This school is terrible. The teacher was incredibly lazy and rude. She thought frightening my child would "snap him out of" a learning disability. St. Amelia's is a prime example of why catholic schools close! They are so far behind the times and employ people who can't get jobs in the public school system. They pretended they would welcome St. Paul's students....what a joke. I was always in favor of Catholic schools until we encountered this nightmare. Stay away!

Posted March 22, 2011

My son goes to St. Amelia's. We lived in North Buffalo when he was to attend Pre-K and there was no way I would send him to a city public school. We searched the Ken-Ton are and when we walked into St. Amelia's there was no doubt that this was to be the school he would go to. Everyone was very welcoming. He is now in 7th grade there at St. Amelia's and he, without having to be asked, is now a boy who gladly welcomes the younger children to the school. He has made me very proud and I certainly believe the school had a hand in making him into the polite, honest, loving little boy that i adore.

Posted February 11, 2011

This school is great!!! The kids are great, the teachers are great!!! You get a great education here and the school is very relaxed and welcoming...your only new for the first day because it is so nice and welcoming at st.amelias

Posted October 13, 2010

Both my grandchildren attend this well run school.They keep a loving eye on the children ...catching the ones falling thruogh the cracks to make sure they have every opportunity to get what the teacher is trying to get them to see

Posted September 6, 2007

I am so glad that we have sent our children to this school. The classes, teachers and staff are tremendous. I also feel the school lunch program is outstanding.

Asian 2% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• James M. Mule
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Buffalo

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2999 Eggert Rd