No rating

Immaculate Conception School

Private | PK-8 | 348 students

Living in Tuckahoe

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $532,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,790.

Posted September 19, 2013

Immaculate conception has exceeded my expectations so far. I have a fifth grader in the school and have to say that every teacher at ICS is gifted. They inspire learning and nurture the whole child. The school is thriving despite what others below may say. The principal is dedicated to the school and to the children. Over the past 4-5 years, ICS has grown in leaps and bounds. Enrollment is strong and after years and years of hard work, the school has a beautiful gym. The home school association is extremely active and while there is a lot of fundraising, it is for a greater purpose. I am so glad that we made the decision to send our child to ICS rather then our public school not only because of the education that she is receiving but because of the values that are infused into the curriculum.

Posted September 9, 2013

This is what you need to know about this school: Wonderful teachers with Masters degrees that have been in the school for years. Up to date with technology, 2 web pages, smartboards in every classroom, technology room. Nurturing and safe environment, catholic values, great curriculum that includes one Foreign language (with the option to learn another in the after school program). Numerous fun events through the year, including a big carnival in June that the whole community enjoys immensely. Beautiful building and outstanding grounds, with baseball field, and a brand new High school size gymnasium. I don't know a better place for my family. We have been 7 years in this school and we have enjoyed it year after year. I highly recommend it Ps. There has never been a charge for the Christmas show. I don't understand why anyone would invent such a thing.

Posted February 12, 2012

My 8th grader is a testament to the quality education that ICS affords it's students. Admitted to all of the HS she applied to with offers of scholarship and honors programs. She has made lifelong friends. The focus on not only the academic aspect of Catholic Schools but also the emotional well being and spiritual growth renders ICS an exemplary choice for anyone looking for a warm challenging parochial environment. Reviewers who made claims about being charged for Christmas pageants and the like are either gravely mistaken or have difficulty telling the truth.There has never been any such thing.

Posted January 10, 2012

This is a cold, non-nurturing environment. This parish is interested in one thing only donations. I took my daughter here for an evaluation to enter pre-K. upon arriving I was seperated, from my then 3 year old daughter. She was sent into a room with about 15 children playing and an evaluater in the corner. I was taken to the principals office and questioned like Mary Magdalene!!! When I received the rejection letter, I called the school to find out why, I was told and I quote!! Your daughter refused to finish with the testing she stated she wanted to play with the princess castle, when compelled to finish testing she said "What am I doing here I dont like this school" the pre-K teachers, who look about 14 years old deemed her a behavioral problem"" P.S She now attend another Catholic school and there are NO issues with her. When I asked for my $50 registration fee back I was denied! Dont waste your time or money ! WHAT A BuNCH OF CREEPS!!!!

Posted August 27, 2011

My family is very happy with ICS. The education my children are receiving is great, the teachers are excellent and innovative, I see that from the academics and ways of teaching are fresh and new. There are smartboards in every classroom, challenging academics and caring staff! ICS as a whole, has a great sense of community, parents are always involved in the many activites happening at the school. There is an open door policy from the administration, the HSA and the Pastor. After reading some of the previous reviews, they are obviously from a small few that have left the school this past year or graduated and now want to blast the school for some reason. Statements are false and inaccurate. As for the gym, that is the decision of the Archdiocese not the school. They are the reason the gym has not been started yet. The principal, has been there for 4 yrs and has made some positivie changes. If these people were that unhappy why did they not leave earlier? My children are getting a great education and having a great experience at ICS. My advice is to come and see for yourself how great our school is, do not be swayed by a few angry disgruntled folks.

Posted June 22, 2011

The principal of this school should not even be involved in academics or anything that has to do with children. She is rigid, non-communicative, disinterested in nurturing and cares nothing about the student as a person. Her main focus is that everyone uniforms look good!!! The general consensus among the parents is that she is untrustworthy and not advocating for the kids. Few trust her. It is a shame because, under the previous administration, we were very happy there and there are excellent teachers there. But the principal is running it into the ground. And as for the gym they are "building," they have collected hundreds of thousands of dollars over the past 6 years and have never broken ground! Stay away from this place.

Posted June 22, 2011

Going downhill fast. What used to be a warm and nurturing place has become cold and indifferent. In my opinion, this is due to the current principal. Her predecessor was wonderful (as was the assistant principal), but everything fell apart after they left. It's very sad, especially for the teachers (many of whom are wonderful). As for the Catholic aspect: the lack of nurturing shown to the children under the regime, and the dismissal of the Religion teacher, takes a big bite out of the spiritual nature of the school. If I had it to do over again, I would never have sent my children here.

Posted December 6, 2010

The principal of this school is so disrespectful, her manners are that of a military academy, she tells children that if she can't hear them then God can't hear them either. My son told me she said this to them. I am very disappointed with this catholic school, I think they use the term catholic to attract parents who want to raise their children with the values that Jesus taught, but they are far from that in all respects of their way of educating children. They even charge money for their christmas show!, they make children work for them basically. This is for them a "major fundraiser". This is so sad, they are teaching the opposite of what Jesus preached. Too sad to learn that Christmas has become a major fundraiser for schools. Parents that already pay tuition have to pay money to see their children in the school's christmas show. So much for a catholic education.

Posted November 9, 2010

I currently have 3 children enrolled at ICS. There are several catholic schools in the area to choose from, but by far I find ICS to be an inclusive, safe and strong learning environment. As a catholic school alumni, I searched for a strong academic and faith based education program for my children. ICS provides a welcoming environment, children are encouraged to mentor the younger students through school families. there are enrichment options, a school musical and many fun events throughout the year. Parents take an active role in the school, and this visibility shows the students, faculty and administration our determination to support the school. I have been in the school for 6 years, and very pleased with all the teachers I've met. The school has strong technology focus. ICS is one of the main reasons, we stay in this area. Keep up the good work!

Posted February 18, 2009

I currently have 3 children at ICS and am placing my 4th there next year. I have been blessed to find a school that is academically solid, diverse, solidly Catholic, and a safe, warm, family environment. We are in the final stages of fundraising for our new Parish/School Gym and look forward to having our own facilities. We have had remarklable success at maintaing extra curricular activities and sports dispite not having a Gym. The parents are involved and the children are happy. There is a very inclusive website for both the school and HSA. Teachers use the internet to post assignments and keep parents current. I felt the past administration was wonderful but am equally pleased with the school since our new administration and have been extremely pleased with the staffing changes they have made. EXCELLENT SCHOOL!

Posted March 2, 2008

As a current parent, we and other families are finding a total turn around for the BETTER now that Ms. Harten has come on board as principal. Her efforts, and those of the pastor, Fr. Raaser, have given the school new life and a positive, loving atmosphere. Principal Harten's vision is broad, and curriculum, staff development and the happiness of students and parents is rapidly on the rise. The Home School Association is extremely strong and is an integral part of ICS life. Ms. Harten has initiated an advancement plan that will reach out to alumni of the school for participation in school events and for support for the school. A state-of-the-art gymnasium (that is eco-friendly) is about to break ground. Art, music and other enrichment classes are strong elements of the students days. There is a strong Catholic identity which is most welcome.

Posted January 31, 2008

Last night was the annual 'State of School' address. After hearing our Pastor and Principal speak and communicate to us where our school is right now and where our school is headed in the future, I am as confident now as I have been for the past 12 years that my children will continue to receive the excellent elementary education that I as a parent have grown accustom to here at Immaculate Conception School.

Posted January 29, 2008

We are Eastchester residents and we send our children to ICS. So far they have been 7 great years and our children have been blessed with a great Catholic education. ICS is technologically advanced and has a wonderful teaching staff. The pastor, Fr. Raaser, is very involved in the school and cares deeply for the children as well as the parents. The principal, Maureen Harten, is wonderful and is a pleasure to have in our school -- our children love her. The school has smartboards and a state of the art website (icschooloneline). The teachers log on to schoolnotes.com to update their class and homework schedules and each teacher has an e-mail address for parents to communicate with their child's teacher, which is so important. I highly recommend ICS; I cannot imagine my children going anywhere else.

Posted September 2, 2007

This school has had a total change in administration this year. Classes are large in the lower grades and the teacher turnover is terrible. They recently pulled the language class from the middle school. I have taken my children out of this school. I would not recommend ICS. It is going down hill fast.

Posted April 5, 2007

Communication from the school is poor, at best. Administration and teachers, in our experience, not interested in going the extra mile or providing parents' with basic, regular feedback. No staff member or teacher has any training in assessing/educating children that may have special needs and show no interest in obtaining information/experience when necessary. Can do far better for your children.

Posted December 19, 2006

The academics here are good, it is an okay overall school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 9, 2006

This school provides a solid basic Catholic school education. Parents are heavily involved in the school on all levels. Very positive, constructive atmosphere. Kids seem really happy and at home. Great teachers. Limited extra curriculars but still adequate. Great performance on standardized tests.

Posted March 9, 2006

Very comfortable, welcoming environment. Good, caring teachers.

Posted October 17, 2005

The teachers at Immaculate Conception are dedicated to the academic achievement of each child in a very individualized way. The Principal and Assistant Principal are just as dedicated. It is a safe & warm environment.

Posted August 2, 2005

Wonderful school run by a wonderful principal - Dr. Elaine Farrell. Most teachers have a Master's Degree and show an obvious love of teaching. Classes are kept to a reasonable size. My daughter has come on a long way in the one year she's been there compared to her previous school. Highly recommended.

Asian 3% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Maureen J. Harten
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

53 Winter Hill Road