Village of Pelham, NY

Posted July 25, 2014
So, we were "outsiders"...not new yorkers, no friends, no family; my kid had never played a sport that he ultimately was recruited to play...and yes, coming in a new school system is not easy. Where there were problems, we reached out to guidance and many teachers, and my child got a great education. Last two years of high school, my child "started" that sport, and will play sports in college because of it. We also didn't understand how special needs works and I never think you really do. As a parent, if you think your kid has a problem, reach out. Pelham is a great school with many dedicated teachers, tons of AP classes, and my kid thanks to them got into one of the best colleges out there...literally 28% of the graduating class got into tier 1 colleges in 2014...and that wasn't just the kids...it was the coaching from dedicated counseling, teachers and coaches. Thank you, PMHS!

Posted February 11, 2014
Pelham has always been and continues to be an exceptional school. However like anything else, resources can only be utilized by those with a desire to achieve. I have relationships with teachers that I feel will continue well beyond my graduation day. All my friends and I took advantage of the AP courses offered and all attended the top quartile of 4 year liberal arts programs.

Pelham Memorial High School 4

Posted January 27, 2014
Pelham schools are pretty OK. I have dysgraphia and while it was a pain to get an IEP, the school was fairly accommodating once I got it. Guidance is not very good, though my experience is that that is true of nearly all high schools. As for the academics, the science department is fantastic. The social studies department is pretty great. For foreign languages, I only took Latin, but my teacher for that was amazing. The English department has a few decent teachers but also a few terrible ones. The math department is horrendous - at the high school level I only had two decent teachers. The art/music department is OK, from what I know of it. The technology department is hilariously bad, but the science research department makes up for this as it is pretty great. The sports, as far as I know (I was not involved in them), are somewhat subpar. There are a number of clubs, including a robotics club, Science Olympiad, various honors societies, foreign language clubs, a military history club, and a Model UN team, among others. The students at PMHS are interesting: they tend to be typical on the whole, but the standard deviation is high; lots of geniuses and lots of not-so-smart people.

Posted December 15, 2013
There are clearly some angry, scorned and vindictive mothers writing reviews on here...Pelham school do not and will NEVER warrant a 1 ONE star rating....I was born and raised here..educated as well. Compared to MANY of my friends who grew up in other westchester towns the way Pelhams school system is run and the quality of most of the teachers FAR surpasses them. I got a great foundation from prospect hill and it continued through PMS and PMHS, that took me to my undergrad, masters, and now MD. It is def an expensive place to live and I will say the down town compared to scarsdale, bronxville, or rye cannot be comapred..but we do have a SLIGHTLY lower average sale price and tax price then they do.

Posted October 28, 2013
Amazing Programs. So many Clubs, Activities, and sports programs such as Lacrosse,Tennis,Track&Field,Swimming,Golf,Volleyball,Baseball,Softball,Soccer (Just to name a few.) Guidance has been very helpful during my journey at PMHS, they are very kind and knowledgable to the students are really care about them.The teachers also really care for students and stay after school for academy periods which last about 20 minutes to help students and answer any questions they may have.They also have programs such a BOCES, which allows students to go to the Valhalla campus and learn a certain career such as cosmetology,EMT,Protective Services, Graphic and Design, T.V and production as well as fashion design, which can help the student be able to obtain a career after high school. overall just a fantastic school.

Pelham Memorial High School 1

Posted August 15, 2013
We've lived in Pelham for 30 years. I finally had to put my daughter in the high school. We were very excited about his new school. It was recently renovated and looked very nice on the surface. They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on new television monitors. So we felt our child was in good hands. My child has special needs as well as the reviewer below. I have to agree that they do rush them off the program . In our case the first week it was mentioned tobe taken off of The learning disability list. The unfortunate consequence was that his disability did not allow her the safety net for the regents Exam where a lot of support academically was required and not provided . In addition this information was not provided. you're told that coming off of learning disability does not lose services, not mentioning the needed safety nets. If she had been not taken off of the learning disability list unnecessarily She would not have failed. The budget cuts also affect the sports programs so the tryouts indoors for certain positions that can't be effective and cut great athletes out of sports . Therefore they lose confidence and they lose potential for developing in that sport.

Pelham Memorial High School 1

Posted August 13, 2013
Well this school is completely run by tight budget deficiencies and claims to handle them well. the sports programs are completely destructive. If a child has a chance at a scholarship in a sport and is doing well he has a giant chance of being cut from the programs. Have you ever heard of an indoor try out for an outfielder. I won MVP with Senior Babe Ruth yet I was cut from the team. It was shocking and now I have no chance of scholarship to college or maybe not even able to play. I came in from a very well known school for kids with dyslexia and ADHD and the first week of school they told my parents that I no longer needed services. Someone like me with a chance for a career , there isn't much support for LD. they have a small classroom of kids asking for help at the same time with two teachers available. Most of the time they don't even know the answers, It's called resource room and it's fairly useless but looks like they have a place for LD kids.The other detriment to their desire to cut the budget and throw you off of being labeled LD is that you know longer have a safety net for their regents exams. When you deserve the safety nets no longer have one you fail the class .

Posted July 16, 2013
Pelham Memorial High School is a great school for such a small community, with excellent opportunities for students to enroll in various AP, SUPA, and SUNY level classes to get ahead for college. The guidance department is knowledgable and helpful, and the foreign language opportunities are excellent with well-qualified teachers. Numerous extra curricular opportunities are available to students, and it is very easy to start a custom club. The teachers are supportive and highly qualified in their fields, and are almost always willing to spend extra time working with students and accommodate schedules. The principal is incredibly accessible, caring, well-informed, and open to student involvement and student ideas. All in all a great school that help me get into a great university, could never imagine having gone anywhere else.

Posted May 22, 2013
I have had 2 children go through this high school. They were 6 years apart. The school was good when my older daughter went through . It was excellent 6 years later. The second child tried to "slip through the cracks", in fact she worked at it. The teachers would not allow it. They took a difficult student and made her suceed, in spit of herself. That same student now has a masters degree and has done 3 fellowships at Yale and has published. I give Pelham Public Schools the credit!

Pelham Memorial High School 4

Posted June 28, 2012
Pelham Memorial High School is a good public school in Westchester. Teacher's are of good caliber and administration is capable.

Pelham Memorial High School
575 Colonial Avenue, Village of Pelham, NY  10803
Last modified Pelham Memorial High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pelham Memorial High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top