White Plains, NY

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 4

Posted June 23, 2014
I walked into OLS school 3 years ago the mom of a very shy, timid and clingy little boy. I have since watched him come to life and become independent, relaxed, confident, and most of all tremendously happy. He has been gifted the benefit of an amazing and compassionate community that I wouldn't trade for the world. Coupled with outstanding academics, OLS is a truly special place. He did have an incident with a child picking on him and the administration was supportive and thorough in their handling of the matter. It was taken care of in days time and I was impressed with how thoughtfully it was handled. My son and I have been warmly embraced and for that I am very thankful. OLS is a school of high standards within a nurturing and respectful atmosphere. Submitted by a parent

Posted June 19, 2014
Our Lady of Sorrows School located on a beautiful campus in White Plains, N.Y. provides many great opportunities for children to grow academically and socially. O.L.S. offers, in addition to the basic academic subjects, Religion, Spanish, Art, Music and Physical Education. Extra-curricular activities include Band, Drama, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Yearbook, Student Council, Chess Club, Girl and Boy Scouts. Children attend Mass monthly, as well as, on Holy Days and Holiday Celebrations. Teachers provide extra help prior and after-school. There are also many adult functions and family events to participate.

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 4

Posted June 14, 2014
On this, the morning after an extraordinarily special 8th grade mass/dinner and the day of 8th grade graduation, I though I would come on and write how truly happy my husband and I are with our decisions to send our daughter to OLS. I was deeply saddened to see the previous entries (I cannot call them reviews as they are just lists of complaints). I am the parent of not only an 8th grader but also a 6th, 4th, and 3rd graders. NO SCHOOL IS PERFECT and certainly a small catholic school is not the place for every child. But I can tell you that for our family, the positives of a solid Catholic education paired with strong academics and an even stronger sense of community far outweigh any of the areas that could use improvement. I cannot even begin to list all the ways OLS has had a positive impact on the lives of our children. If you want a true sense of what OLS is all about please come visit and speak with the 99% of the families who are more that proud to call OLS their school, don't listen to the disgruntled few. I wish I could sign my name because I would, happily.

Posted May 23, 2014
My experience has been a positive one, since my children began at OLS 6 years ago. OLS embodies a great school community through the classroom instruction, assemblies, Masses, holidays, after-care, charity fund-raisers and extra- curricular activities. Christian values are weaved through every subject, event and daily routines. The teachers all hold Master's Degrees and are highly effective individuals who have brought the best out of each of my children. When speaking with my children's teachers I was always confident that they really knew my child and understood their strengths and weaknesses. My children are completely different in almost every aspect and OLS has met both their needs. They make themselves available prior and after school via phone, email or in person. Having the opportunity to volunteer in many ways, even though I'm a working Mom, has been a great way for me to develop friendships with parents with whom I have common interests. OLS was the right choice for our family.

Our Lady Of Sorrows School 3

Posted April 16, 2014
One of the unfortunate facts about this school is that it has become attractive to families whose children clearly require more assistance and resources than the school can provide. While the educational standards are much higher than the local public schools, over time some classes have been dragged down by a handful of children who have such severe behavioral problems that the whole class suffers as a result. Complaints that are made about bullying and disruptive behavior in classes are met with a repeated we re handling it response, and then nothing changes and there is never any follow-up. When parents complain, privately or in PTA meetings, the school administration spends more time trying to deny there is a problem rather than trying to figure out how to fix it. Parents are very involved in supporting the school through volunteer work and fundraising, which gives the school a close-knit, family-like feel. It tends to be the same families that get involved, largely because of very exclusive cliques as well as the complete lack of action of the school to reach out to new families. The school also does not offer much in the way of after-school activities.

Posted June 25, 2013
good school with dedicated teachers and staff. there are sports teams, arts classes, and lots of extra activities such as brownies, cub scouts, an academic fair, a talent show, a school play, etc. the parents are very involved in the extra activities and in coaching all the teams. we like the class size and the school location. we like that morals and ethics are a part of all teachings, not just religion. could improve - more arts focus on more feild trips to expose the kids to the arts

Posted January 10, 2012
Our child is in his third year at OLS and we couldn't be happier about our decision to enroll him here. The academics have exceeded our expectations and the School is void of any of the negative stereotypes you might hear about a small, Catholic school. The teachers are highly qualified and committed to the students and the facilities and technology are second to none. He is truly thriving academically. The added bonus is the sense of community that OLS cultivates and supports. Our whole family has benefitted from the experience and we are truly thankful for this wonderful school.

Posted May 09, 2011
My eldest child attends OLS, my youngest soon will. So far the experience has been terrific. Nice classmates, friendly parents, and a school administration that really tracks and cares about your kid. No one is just a 'number' here. The education is good, but most importantly, the environment is really welcoming, for both kids and parents. The public schools might get more money, but this little Catholic school has more heart.

Posted December 07, 2008
As the parent of a Kindergartener, I am brand new to OLS. Having been a teacher for the past 11 years, it surpasses my expectations of a private, Catholic school. There is the perfect blend of traditional education with more modern approaches. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The curriculum is outstanding, as are any of the teachers I have encountered. I feel I made the best choice for my child by selecting OLS.

Posted August 10, 2008

Our Lady Of Sorrows School
888 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY  10605
Last modified Our Lady Of Sorrows School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Our Lady Of Sorrows School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top