Jhs 194 William Carr

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 1108 students

Posted June 17, 2014

This is not the best school ever. My daughter is about the go to 8th grade and everyday when she comes homes, she has an attitude. She says that people are calling her stupid, smelly, and fat. She comes home crying. There are many fights.Students don't respect the teachers and teacher also don't care about the students. when it comes to grades my daughter used to get 90s but now she is getting 60s even though she comes to me for help in everything. I got to say that the school's dance team is very good, but otherwise this is not the kind of school you would want to go. When you go to the main office the staff don't say good morning or good afternoon to parent and they roll their eyes at people and students and they say that they are busy when i see them eating or reading a magazine.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 17, 2014

Very disappointed with this school. The assistant principal needs to be nicer. Mrs. L. Told me that she was going to call me back to listen my concerns but she never did it.

Posted November 21, 2013

I have two children in this school and one on the way. Excellent School! Ms. Miller turned the school around from the former principal who was only there 2 years. Ms. Miller is working hard each day to make positive changes. I would not hesitate sending my child to this school. She encourages parent involvement. Children are recognized for not being absent, honor roll is posted and just a positive environment with a lot of school spirit. Academic standards are higher than most with post assessments being 50% of the overall grade but there are other areas that offset this number to provide fair equity. All schools have some poor teachers but I think that they will eventually be weeded out because Ms. Miller is on top of it. As far as a big school and safety issues, you will see Ms. Miller roaming around the school outside before, during, and after school. She and other staff are ever present in the hallways to ensure the students safety. Thumbs up to Ms. Miller as she works to make JHS194 the best middle school in Queens!!!! Now let's work on a crossing guard on Francis Lewis Blvd and 17th Avenue!!!!! - from a lucky parent to have this our zoned school.

Posted November 20, 2013

I am a former 606 student and now a 704 student. My experience from elementary school to middle was easy i ended up with a 91 average. But for some with puipulpath (new grading system) had been hard. Many of my friends were almost always failing 1 class or more. :( But the teachers gave us extra time to hand in work! This year is a whole different story. I know they want the best for us and all that but they put WAY TO MUCH PRESSURE on us. Our sci. teacher gave us 6 assignments that are all screwed up and we have no data to base our work from. My other classes are ok. Most teachers hate my class but like/love me personally. Overall puipulpath is deadly we all say. THE GRADING SYSTEM IS HOMEWORK 20% NOTEBOOK/PARTICIPATION 10% TEST/QUIZZES/PROJECTS 20% POST ASSESSMENTS 50%. Most teachers offer help. My English teacher offered me help in any subject i want if i ever needed if, so you can say they somewhat care about you.- 7th Grader S.S

Posted October 25, 2013

The school is great. My daughter just started 6th grade there. She really enjoyed the classes and the activities. Teachers are energetic and devoted to their students.

Posted August 24, 2013

A school is as strong as its support both within the building and at home. Young developing teens come with their own issues that must be addressed on all levels. Boundaries must be set and be consistent in order for these students to prosper educationally. Teaching children positive behavior begins at home from the first day of their life; so in order for the learning process to have the potential of occurring on the greatest, level a child must thoroughly know proper behavior when in an educational environment. Teachers should be educators first and foremost.

Posted August 23, 2013

I believe that discipline is important in order to teach our kids responsibility, values and other facts that are important towards our kids personal development and success, but let's also remember that we were kids once and we do not need a military regimen for our kids. Let kids be kids, let them enjoy life. I like this school because this school is strict but it has its limits on how strictness should be. When a school is too strict students end up hating the school, and everything that is related to that particular school. In conclusion a school should not be a military regimen, it should be a environment were our kids feel free to talk their concerns and be heard, feel free to be able to trust and be trusted, feel happy to wake up to go to school every morning and not being afraid. If you want this school to be more strict, then you should enroll your kids in a Military School. Let Kids be Kids.

Posted July 11, 2013

Not that great of a school, the new principal seems complacent and unwilling to make any good changes, and does not discipline the students well enough. Staff is ineffective for the most part and unless you go to an outside learning center, nothing will be learned of importance save for a few teachers that take their job seriously.

Posted June 30, 2013

This school may be a bit strict, but the staff is really caring. I don't understand why the parents are all up and complaining because their child was doing poor. The grading system has changed over the past years, and tests impact a student's grade a lot. Students don't get in trouble for no reason. The staff only wants the best for us. The principal and assistant principals are all very caring. I am walking into 7th grade in September, and I know that I will have a blast. Best of luck to all the teachers, students and staff next year -Former 622 student :)

Posted June 27, 2013

I love this school! I was in 622 (an SP class) going to 723 (7th grade SP class) next school year and during my first day in 6th grade, after meeting the principal, dean, assistant principal, etc., our teacher discussed what we can expect last school year. The staff truly cares about their students and to each other. I was just wondering why the rating is 8 out of 10, it just doesn't make sense to me. The only complain I have is that sometimes its a tiny bit too strict.

Posted February 21, 2013

I made the biggest mistake of my life by letting my child attend 194..He had good grades and since attending there his grades are below average now.

Posted September 30, 2012

Although my daughter had a wonderful experience throughout her 3 years at 194, my son was absolutely miserable. He hated going to school, he came home with headaches and was failing 2 of his classes. I went into the school and spoke to guidance counselors and assistant principals to discuss his progress and I was told they would speak to the teachers and we should "stick it out", don't be so quick to make changes to teachers he isn't happy with. I also called to speak to the principal, he wasn't available and I left a message. I never heard back from him. Meanwhile, many parents I spoke to were having the same issues with the same teachers. We left the school and thankfully he is very happy in his new junior high. His self esteem was definitely affected because of his experience at 194. I blame the teacher and the administration for not making changes. There are many teachers in 194 that are Excellent, and go above and beyond the scope of being a teacher! On the otherhand, there are a few that need to be replaced. I understand the principal has been replaced this year. I hope the new principal can make the changes needed to the teaching staff.

Posted January 30, 2012

I am a former student of this school and have witnesses the terrifying structure that plagues this school first hand. Every day at this junior high school seems like a war zone from fights breaking out in and out of the school walls, to teachers turning a blind eye to slipping grades and social conflicts developing around them. The most terrifying thing about this school is knowing that although your child is in a school surrounded by teachers, principles, deans, security guards, est. they are as safe as being thrown in to a lion s cage. the academic achievements of this school is not due to any outstanding teacher student relationship but instead a result of its location, because the school is located in higher income area many of the children attend after school programs/tutoring which directly reflects the students grades. It is truly a shame that at this day and age the only way to give our children a proper education is to abandon our local public schools and opting for private schooling.

Posted November 22, 2011

I am a current student in the school (7th grade) , and I feel that the school provides good education. Even advanced classes (for sixth grade, the advanced classes are 621 and 622. For 7th and 8, the advanced classes end in 21, 21, and 23. For example, my class 721and my friend's class 821.) the teachers are highly experienced in what they do. My only complaint is that when someone is tormented, the take no action.

Posted July 15, 2011

My child had a great experience in this school. So to the two complaining parents: 1. Your child Was the problem. 2. Maybe education is not a priority in your home. 3. Thanks for the transfer, although now your child becomes a problem in another school. Take care!

Posted July 7, 2011

My daughter's experience with this school has been wonderful. In her 2 years here, she has had many great teachers that love their students, love their jobs and find creative ways of teaching. My daughter enjoys being in school and she's having fun while she's learning. My son is starting the 6th grade in September, he's heard so many great things from my daughter and can't wait.

Posted July 6, 2011

I Had To Transfer My Daughter From This School Because Of Many Reasons. The School Has Lots Of Fights Its Almost Daily. Staff Especially Deans Are Very Disrespectful To The Students And Give Out Lots Of Detentions And Suspensions For Silly Things. The Teachers Are Sometimes Too Strict So They Put Lots Of Pressure On Students. In Academics, The School Does Ok But My Child Showed No Interest In Academic Subjects As If The Teachers Taught It Boringly.

Posted February 24, 2011

This school may have a high academic rating which is great but it is run like a Juvenile Detention Center and the Deans, Asst. Principles and Principle of this school show no respect for their students needs and I was very happy to remove my son from this school to a happier environment. On the upside, the parent co-ordinator was wonderful.

Posted October 14, 2010

The Instructors really care about their students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 13, 2010

William H. Carr has a wonderful, loving school environment. There are great teachers who love their job and go the extra mile to teach their students. On top of that we have great kids who enjoy learning.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

345 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 38% in 2014.

351 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

335 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 33% in 2014.

334 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 36% in 2014.

346 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 22% in 2014.

351 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

377 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 48%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1600 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

7.4

8.4

6.6

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.4

8.5

6.9

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

6.8

6.9

6.3

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

7.6

Teachers4571%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. JENNIFER MILLER

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

154-60 17th Ave