Yonkers Montessori Academy 2

Posted July 18, 2014
This is an ok school if you like the Montessori way. Some teachers are really useless and cannot handle having 3 grades in the same classroom. (This is only up to 6th grade) others are better. They are extremely inconsistent with security-sometimes you can't get in without id, Even if the staff know u, other times you can go wherever u like with no one asking for anything. Like another reviewer said if you want a big push for academic excellence another school may be better-I am moving my child out. I did not want my 8 year old daughter in a room with 11/12 year olds! They are getting old so young these days.

Posted April 29, 2014
This school has changed my son to the better. Teachers are caring, always smiling....willing to help.

Posted September 28, 2013
I've Been a Student at Yonkers Montessori Academy for 12yrs & This School is GREAT! I've Become The Person I Am Today Based On hat All The Great Teachers Have Done For Me. This School Has Many Different Learning Opprotunities Durning & After School Hours. They Have Intercession Which is a Trip Taken By Students Accompanied By teachers,parents or staff members & they go & Learn Things About The Area/Place They Went To It Is a Very Exciting & Fun Trip . YMA Is More than a school we are More like an extended family. We are a community & we do as much as we can for any & everyone. We are the Eagels !!

Posted September 26, 2013
Just a little over a week here for my 4 year old in pre-k and he loves it. the teacher is very sweet and attentive and it seems like a great place for him at this stage.

Yonkers Montessori Academy 4

Posted July 15, 2013
I attend this school since last year when i had enrolled to Yonkers Montessori Academy for 7th grade. I am now going to 8th grade and i gotta say its an amazing school. This school has great programs that your child might love. 7th and 8th grade might not have that much as the elementary and high school but the rallys we have are great. The events too. You and your child(s) will love it here for sure. The teachers and staff are really kind.

Yonkers Montessori Academy 4

Posted June 20, 2013
Our two children transferred to this school from Private school. Although we had to fight a little to get them enrolled here it turned out to be an excellent decision. The teachers are concerned, the assistant principals are involved and cognizant of every child and the Principal is visionary and accesible. We feel like our children will be in position academically and socially to go to any school we can afford, Ivy league or otherwise when they reach graduation.

Yonkers Montessori Academy 2

Posted June 18, 2013
I attend this school as a student it has a real great home type vibe to it where everyone knows everyone, however if your child wants choices on his education this is the school of choice for them. Going into my senior year my schedule has already been set and they refuse me to have much of a choice in whether I want a certain course or not. They are forcing me to take both a math and a science even though I have filled out all those requirements sophomore year. Although this school has the potential to be great I recommend sending your child elsewhere for an education.

Posted March 26, 2012
If your child is in Montessori and doing well, this is a great choice! The statistics for this type of school are outstanding and Yonkers has hit a home run here. But this is definately not for someone new to Montessori, unless starting at Pre-K or K. Would be very hard to transfer here from another program.

Posted December 15, 2010
If you are a competitive parent who likes to push the school and your child, there are probably better places for you and your child. If your child responds best to Montessori, this is a dream come true for your child's education, both social and academic. This place creates an intense love of learning and love of people. Somehow, they get kids to love challenging homework. Note that each parent needs to weigh whether their kid is still on track for college in the higher grades. A huge benefit is that the kids often get the same kids and same teacher for multiple years. But that tight community may make it a bit tricky for introverted kids transferring in from other Montessori after Elementary, because by then, the bonds between peers are as tight as close family. If your child has a good heart and likes to help others, YMA is probably a great choice. If your child is highly competitive, or benefits from discipline, that may not be right for the communal freedom of Montessori. Oh, and critically, the elementary teachers are beyond fabulous.

Posted October 04, 2010
both my children go to YMA and are very happy there. the teachers work hard with the kids and the principal runs a tight ship with all the staff and parents.

Yonkers Montessori Academy
160 Woodlawn Avenue, Yonkers, NY  10704
Last modified Yonkers Montessori Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Yonkers Montessori Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top